Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Salt Lake MUST EATS

This place looks really good. Anyone tried it?

http://www.alamexo.com/
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

yes, it is a nice meal. not much different than most contemporary mex places you will find, but it is still a good option when you are eating downtown.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

yeah. fresh guac isn't bad.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Yep we have been there. Good but nothing special and a little overpriced.

One of the Caputo founder's sons live in our neighborhood. Their Christmas gifts are really good.

We go to Dodo because it is close and we won't be negatively surprised by what we order. My wife always gets the smoked turkey sandwich. I always get the margherita pasta. That may be why they have been able to last in SLC for so long (3 or 4 different locations over several years). Also, they have been at their current location much longer than the 2 previous restaurants. Maybe having the Blue Boutique as a neighbor is driving up business.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    put it next to reg iguana, please.

Also, the Dodo is an example of a food scene? It is a nice cafe but it is like eating at Corner Bakery.

I enjoy communal and 712. Silver and Handle in Park City are good. Forage is obviously good.

There are little gems hidden here and there.
    Have you tried Black Sheep Cafe yet? It is my favorite Utah County place.
    "But luckily the two had time to play catch-up while Marian Hossa was celebrating his second Stanley Cup in three seasons and Chara was contemplating how he was spun around like an eight-foot dreidel by Patrick Kane all series."
    --Puck Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    What are some of your favorite dishes there?
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

What are some of your favorite dishes there?
    The green chile pork Navajo taco is my favorite. I also really liked the red chile, but not as good as the green. Looking at the current menu, if I were to go back today, I would be trying the hog jowl tacos.
    "But luckily the two had time to play catch-up while Marian Hossa was celebrating his second Stanley Cup in three seasons and Chara was contemplating how he was spun around like an eight-foot dreidel by Patrick Kane all series."
    --Puck Daddy

too much grease going on for me

The green chile pork Navajo taco is my favorite. I also really liked the red chile, but not as good as the green. Looking at the current menu, if I were to go back today, I would be trying the hog jowl tacos.
    Went there last Saturday night. Loved it. For an appetizer had the bruschetta on pueblo bread. Amazing. I had the green chile navajo taco and my friend had the hog jowl tacos. We traded and they were both great. I normally hate everything that reeks of Utah County, but I can't recommend this place enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    Went there last Saturday night. Loved it. For an appetizer had the bruschetta on pueblo bread. Amazing. I had the green chile navajo taco and my friend had the hog jowl tacos. We traded and they were both great. I normally hate everything that reeks of Utah County, but I can't recommend this place enough.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have used the words "hate" and "reeks". Please modify my post and substitute the words "wary" and "located in".

Take caputo's, for example: a very nice sandwich. Eaten there many times myself and enjoy the meal. Is it an example of SLCs best? Does someone absolutely have to check out Tony Caputos when they are in town? Do they serve something that merits special attention? When people are visiting from other cities it doesnt even dawn on me that we have to go to Tony Caputos for a salami sandwich and a side of salad.

Forage, different story altogether. Forage is a great experience.

SLC has maybe a handful of Forages, a lot of Tony Caputos.

There is no scene.
    Is that where we've gone to lunch a few times?

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Is that where we've gone to lunch a few times?
    yes. it is a nice sandwich, good lunch, convenient location. not sure I would cite to it as an example of SLCs finest, must-eats place, though.

at DDD not at least taking CJF to copper onion

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    at DDD not at least taking CJF to copper onion
    You are assuming I havent.

yes. it is a nice sandwich, good lunch, convenient location. not sure I would cite to it as an example of SLCs finest, must-eats place, though.
    Yeah, if that place is a part of the food scene, then there is no real scene to speak of. I'm trying to remember what I like there. Can't do it.

We went to black sheep last night and loved it. Fantastic place. We didn't find much grease going on so not sure about that. We had shrimp as an app, I had a big bowl of posole (fantastic) and the green chile Navajo taco. Everything was great and we will definitely go back. Forgot, we also had that cactus drink. Yum.

also, there is a relatively new place a block up the street called Taste. Fantastic concept and worth a looksie. It is a tasting bar/chocolatier combo. They import chocolate from all over the world and also are making their own on the premises. The fun part is that you can pay $20 and have a 1.5 hr class that teaches you about chocolate, how to sample it, how to discern flavors and notes, etc. You also get to sample and learn about olive oils and some sipping vinegars. The instructor is great. It makes for a really fun date. Our class had about 20 people in it. If you don't want to do that or want to check it out first, they take walk ins at the counter. For $6 you get about a 25 minute experience, sampling maybe 6 or 7 chocolates and a few sipping vinegars. That would also be a nice apres dinner experience that works as a dessert but also as an activity. This isn't really a kid thing and you aren't going to be eating Hershey bars. We sampled Eastern European chocolate made with porcini mushroom, an English chocloate that had been infused with chunks of sea salt and sourdough bread, a polish chocolate made with pieces of lavender and star anise, and several others that were wild and crazy and tasty. Again, a lot of fun and well worth the try.

I liked but didn't love Black sheep. Yes, it was tasty, but it was still...a Navajo taco. And for the life of me, I can't remember what else we had. I'll have to give it a shot again.

I saw that Taste place. That looks fun.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    I liked but didn't love Black sheep. Yes, it was tasty, but it was still...a Navajo taco. And for the life of me, I can't remember what else we had. I'll have to give it a shot again.

It is a fair point. When you put "cafe" in the name, you temper expectations. These guys are doing new takes on comfort food, basically, so I'm not surprised by the pedestrian fare....Navajo tacos, enchiladas, chimichangas. Heck, one of the most famous restaurants in NYC over the past 20 years, Union Square Cafe, has a pretty basic menu itself. I was really impressed by how well black sheep did what they did, but you are right...don't go expecting a 6 course meal and a sommelier at your table.

the posole was really good. I would suggest that to anyone that enjoys a nice soup. My wife had the chimi and that was also very tasty. Like most, I think I'm going to try the hog jowl tacos next time.

they also change up the dessert menu and right now they are making this cinnamon horchata bread pudding that sounded ab-fab. We skipped it because we were headed to Taste afterward, but I might go back just to eat the dessert.

i think you could find BSC in any large city and it would do well (maybe not cause lines around the block, but it would do well). For Provo, the Communal/BSC/712 thing is about as good as it is going to get, at least for a long time. It is very respectable for here.

Also, being the Francophile that you are, I think you would enjoy Taste. Seemed like so much of the inventory there was from France (although the beans came from all over the world). For $6 it is very low risk.

It is a fair point. When you put "cafe" in the name, you temper expectations. These guys are doing new takes on comfort food, basically, so I'm not surprised by the pedestrian fare....Navajo tacos, enchiladas, chimichangas. Heck, one of the most famous restaurants in NYC over the past 20 years, Union Square Cafe, has a pretty basic menu itself. I was really impressed by how well black sheep did what they did, but you are right...don't go expecting a 6 course meal and a sommelier at your table.

the posole was really good. I would suggest that to anyone that enjoys a nice soup. My wife had the chimi and that was also very tasty. Like most, I think I'm going to try the hog jowl tacos next time.

they also change up the dessert menu and right now they are making this cinnamon horchata bread pudding that sounded ab-fab. We skipped it because we were headed to Taste afterward, but I might go back just to eat the dessert.

i think you could find BSC in any large city and it would do well (maybe not cause lines around the block, but it would do well). For Provo, the Communal/BSC/712 thing is about as good as it is going to get, at least for a long time. It is very respectable for here.
    I was expecting way more snark in this, with at least some dig about a coffee shop. Are you ok?

Yeah, I think it was a case of too high expectations. I often just ask for the waiter's recommendation, which is how I arrived at the Navajo taco. I never really love them--I think they're an odd, state fair-ish mix of flavors--so I probably shouldn't have ordered it, but I thought I'd try what seems to be their signature dish. The posole sounds much more interesting, as do the desserts. We'll try it again.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

I was expecting way more snark in this, with at least some dig about a coffee shop. Are you ok?

Yeah, I think it was a case of too high expectations. I often just ask for the waiter's recommendation, which is how I arrived at the Navajo taco. I never really love them--I think they're an odd, state fair-ish mix of flavors--so I probably shouldn't have ordered it, but I thought I'd try what seems to be their signature dish. The posole sounds much more interesting, as do the desserts. We'll try it again.
    I'm on an airplane right now so I try to keep my karma levels as high as possible.

i may revisit my response in a couple of hours!

Anyone been to the 9th South Deli? Interesting article on the owner:

http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/...-jewish-delis/

We went to black sheep last night and loved it. Fantastic place. We didn't find much grease going on so not sure about that. We had shrimp as an app, I had a big bowl of posole (fantastic) and the green chile Navajo taco. Everything was great and we will definitely go back. Forgot, we also had that cactus drink. Yum.
    Learn something new every day:

Since maize was a sacred plant for the Aztecs and other inhabitants of Mesoamerica, pozole was made to be consumed on special occasions. The conjunction of maize (usually whole hominy kernels) and meat in a single dish is of particular interest to scholars because the ancient Americans believed the gods made humans out of masa (cornmeal dough). According to research by the National Institute of Anthropology and History and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, on these special occasions, the meat used in the pozole was human.[5] After the prisoners were killed by having their hearts torn out in a ritual sacrifice, the rest of the body was chopped and cooked with maize. The meal was shared among the whole community as an act of religious communion. After the Conquest, when cannibalism was banned, pork became the staple meat as it "tasted very similar", according to a Spanish priest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    Anyone been to the 9th South Deli? Interesting article on the owner:

http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/...-jewish-delis/
    I have. I really like it.