Resurrecting Tiger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    I was at Reagan coming home from DC yesterday around 4pm and the entire concourse had stopped and was watching Tiger putt for what must've been the win. So many people stacked up deep outside of the sports bar watching that it was tough to even get by them. Huge cheer when he hit the shot.

People still love to watch Tiger. It's weird to me, as someone who really doesn't ever watch golf. I mean, I appreciate that he's a huge talent and was unstoppable at one point. But it seems like there are other golfers who have caught up to him. I guess some like to see him win again and recapture some of what he lost. But he isn't the guy on an island so clearly above the rest anymore. So I find it weird that people are still that into watching HIM and not golf.
    Tiger brought the masses to golf. He brought golf back into pop culture for the first time since the late 70s/early 80s. Because of Tiger, there are a ton of people who follow and play golf that wouldn't have otherwise. That said, for many who loved golf before Tiger, our love of the sport is not, and never was, predicated on his involvement or success. In fact, we saw golf get pretty boring when he was so much better than everyone else. So while it's a nice redemption story, it doesn't mean to us what it means to the people who love golf because of Tiger. And, of the people these days who love and follow golf, probably half or more of them do because of Tiger. So yeah, there's a Tiger bandwagon. But it's good for golf.

Personally, I don't actively cheer against Tiger, but i'm not a fan boy. I'm glad he won over Molinari or Koepka (who I find very off putting for some reason I can't quite explain). But I would have rather seen Finau, Fowler, or Schauffele win their first major.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      I was at Reagan coming home from DC yesterday around 4pm and the entire concourse had stopped and was watching Tiger putt for what must've been the win. So many people stacked up deep outside of the sports bar watching that it was tough to even get by them. Huge cheer when he hit the shot.

People still love to watch Tiger. It's weird to me, as someone who really doesn't ever watch golf. I mean, I appreciate that he's a huge talent and was unstoppable at one point. But it seems like there are other golfers who have caught up to him. I guess some like to see him win again and recapture some of what he lost. But he isn't the guy on an island so clearly above the rest anymore. So I find it weird that people are still that into watching HIM and not golf.
      No matter if you like him or not or you're a fan of golf because of him or not, it's a huge story. He was the best, on pace to break the all time records. He was Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Elvis, Michael Jackson level famous. Then he lost it all, fell off the planet. That also is nearly unheard of in terms of athletes being at the peak of their game, best in the world, and then boom nothing. So his return is obviously one of the biggest sports stories ever. It was 11 years between major championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        No matter if you like him or not or you're a fan of golf because of him or not, it's a huge story. He was the best, on pace to break the all time records. He was Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Elvis, Michael Jackson level famous. Then he lost it all, fell off the planet. That also is nearly unheard of in terms of athletes being at the peak of their game, best in the world, and then boom nothing. So his return is obviously one of the biggest sports stories ever. It was 11 years between major championships.
        His kids are so young that they had only experienced him losing or trying to come back. Pretty cool they got to see him win in such a big way.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I think [Augusta is] where his remaining majors, if any, will come from. He knows that course as well as anyone ever has, and I think he'll contend there just about every year as long as he's reasonably healthy.
          SUwish!

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          He'll be winning majors when he's eating at Perkins again.

Is there a Perkins near Augusta? Google says the closest is in Savannah . . .

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          Am I the only one that thinks Tiger will never win again... even if it's the Fry's in October?
          Whoops.

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          I don't think he will ever win another major. He might pull off something else.
          Whoops.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

SUwish!

Is there a Perkins near Augusta? Google says the closest is in Savannah . . .

Whoops.

Whoops.
            Against all odds! He should be awarded the Presidential Medal for Freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Sounds like you just might

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...t-round-081111

There needs be opposition in all things, so I will go ahead and call it, probably against popular opinion: Tiger is done. No mas majors for him.
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Interested in a Tiger Woods straw poll now. Not necessarily because of today's performance, mind you....but today made me think about the issue, in general.

Are you still a big fan of Tiger or are you growing more indifferent as more time passes with no majors? Are you rooting against him? Has your enthusiasm changed at all?

I don't know if this will prove to be premature, but I get the feeling that Tiger is done. The Tiger era is over. I just don't see him bouncing back to form.
              I'm open to whatever. Doesn't have to be super expensive. How much would be good?

I do not think Tiger will win a major this year and I'm actually not against the notion that he will not win another major at all (although I still think he might at some point in the future.)

I would prefer Tiger to be winning. It is fun to watch him dominate. But he isn't the same anymore.
              bump.
              Why seek ye the living among the dead?
              this thread is cruel at this point. tiger is dead. no reason to ever bump this thing again.
              Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              Forget about winning a major. Will Tiger ever wear a red shirt at a major again?
              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Did anyone bet Triplet way back when he made the then absurd claim that Tiger wouldn't win another major? Dude could have cleaned house on that one.
              Scroll down to the fourth post in this thread, as well. I'm basically NotraDDDamus.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...to-Win-a-Title

Tiger is getting remarkably worse, not better, reaching new lows that were unfathomable in years past. He isn't just missing cuts, he is doing so in Happy Gilmore fashion....errant clubs flying through the air, profanity on live TV, falling over himself as he tries to pick up a ball. lol. he should embrace this new phase of his career and hire a homeless caddy or punch bob barker in the face.
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              I was surprised he went low with a 65 one day and didn't finish last but i would still be shocked to see him ever win again. He made a lot of birdies, probably should have kept that Scotty in his bag these last eight years.
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              "The surgery went well, and I'm optimistic this will relieve my back spasms and pain," Woods said in a statement on his website. "When healed, I look forward to getting back to a normal life, playing with my kids, competing in professional golf and living without the pain I have been battling so long."

I think he should just be honest with himself and say he's done. He's had a twenty year run and he was never going to play the Senior Tour.
              Lots of good predictions in here.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Lots of good predictions in here.
                After I saw him lay some turf over the ball on a simple chip at Torrey Pines I thought he was done. I'm shocked at what he did yesterday. Just think of the career he would have had if he had only gotten rid of that shitty Nike equipment earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  After I saw him lay some turf over the ball on a simple chip at Torrey Pines I thought he was done. I'm shocked at what he did yesterday. Just think of the career he would have had if he had only gotten rid of that shitty Nike equipment earlier.
                  His two big mistakes... playing soldier with Seals and messing up his back and knee... Sucky bad equipment. Imagine if he took his health seriously - in the last 11 years he could have had another 7 or so majors.

The whole episode when Phil called him out on lousy Nike equipment holds true now. I tried Nike - PING - Calloway - Taylormade - give me PING irons and Taylormade woods - that's the best combo. NIke was so bad that they were almost a joke.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    His two big mistakes... playing soldier with Seals and messing up his back and knee... Sucky bad equipment. Imagine if he took his health seriously - in the last 11 years he could have had another 7 or so majors.

The whole episode when Phil called him out on lousy Nike equipment holds true now. I tried Nike - PING - Calloway - Taylormade - give me PING irons and Taylormade woods - that's the best combo. NIke was so bad that they were almost a joke.
                    IIRC, Tiger recently admitted that he's been playing a Bridgestone ball branded as a Nike ball for several years. Are we sure he wasn't doing the same with his irons?

Comment

IIRC, Tiger recently admitted that he's been playing a Bridgestone ball branded as a Nike ball for several years. Are we sure he wasn't doing the same with his irons?
                      I think there is ZERO chance he was playing anything close to the equipment the swoosh was selling commercially. I would think replicating a competitors irons (not sure about woods) would be easier than ripping off a ball design.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        I think there is ZERO chance he was playing anything close to the equipment the swoosh was selling commercially. I would think replicating a competitors irons (not sure about woods) would be easier than ripping off a ball design.
                        There has been rumors for years that his nike irons were muira blades stamped with a swoosh. And that his Titleist irons were forged by Muira, and that his Mizunos before that were forged by Muira.
                        Last edited by falafel; 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Speaking of equipment...not a good week for Honma. How long is Rose stuck with them?
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            Speaking of equipment...not a good week for Honma. How long is Rose stuck with them?
                            He played pretty well with them for the first few weeks. I didn't see his finish this week though.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Missed the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Besides winning the Masters - his value as a marketing shill has had to take a giant leap - if indeed it ever did fall in the first place.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X