Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a fellow insomniac, I thought this was an interesting read:

The myth of the eight hour sleep

Any of you historians ever heard of this segmented sleep pattern?

In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

His book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.

Roger Ekirch says this 1595 engraving by Jan Saenredam is evidence of activity at night
    Much like the experience of Wehr's subjects, these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep.

"It's not just the number of references - it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge," Ekirch says.

During this waking period people were quite active. They often got up, went to the toilet or smoked tobacco and some even visited neighbours. Most people stayed in bed, read, wrote and often prayed. Countless prayer manuals from the late 15th Century offered special prayers for the hours in between sleeps.

And these hours weren't entirely solitary - people often chatted to bed-fellows or had sex.
    "For most of evolution we slept a certain way," says sleep psychologist Gregg Jacobs. "Waking up during the night is part of normal human physiology."

The idea that we must sleep in a consolidated block could be damaging, he says, if it makes people who wake up at night anxious, as this anxiety can itself prohibit sleeps and is likely to seep into waking life too.

Russell Foster, a professor of circadian [body clock] neuroscience at Oxford, shares this point of view.

"Many people wake up at night and panic," he says. "I tell them that what they are experiencing is a throwback to the bi-modal sleep pattern."
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      As a fellow insomniac, I thought this was an interesting read:

The myth of the eight hour sleep

Any of you historians ever heard of this segmented sleep pattern?
      I witnessed it for two years in Argentina. Only the pattern was go to bed after midnight, wake up around 5 or 6 to drink mate and then go to work. Come home from work around noon to eat lunch and then sleep until 4-5. Then go back to work until 8-9.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Ugh. It is happening again.
        One thing that has helped me is having a notebook on the side of my bed. When I wake up with a million thoughts, I try to jot them down quickly. This usually helps me relax and I can go back to sleep. Hopefully that helps in your case.
        "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
        —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          Is it usually only one night, or does it go on night-after-night? This happens to be occasionally, so I get up and go through emails, read the paper, or watch old sitcom reruns on TV. Even though I may not go back to sleep, I always figure I'll catch up the next night, or the next.
          When it happens, it is usually for awhile...several nights off and on for a couple of weeks at a time.

I went back to sleep at around 4am this morning. I have a feeling it is work related.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I wake up most mornings naturally between 4 and 5:30am. I never thought it could be insomnia. I like using the extra time to work more.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
              I wake up most mornings naturally between 4 and 5:30am. I never thought it could be insomnia. I like using the extra time to work more.
              I woke up at 1:30AM and couldn't sleep until 4. I generally wake up around 630am without an alarm clock. I've never been much of a sleep in person since HS days. Last night was definitely a distraction.

sigpic

Comment

Back again.

sigpic

Comment

Back again.
                  Hi.
                  "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                  "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                  "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

If you were still in California, you could go out and get a doctor's rec. for an organic herbal sleep-aid that poses no risk of chemical dependency and which doesn't leave you feeling groggy or sick in the morning. Oh yeah, and it is also less expensive than over-the-counter and prescription sleep drugs.

Comment

This sucks. On the bright side, I'm getting a lot of reading done.

If the pattern holds, I will be asleep by around 4:30!

sigpic

Comment

Still wide awake. It is almost time to get up anyway.

sigpic

Comment

That sucks, TD. I don't think I've had problems since I posted about it in this thread. I hope things improve for you soon.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

have you tried self medication?
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I wonder how many US Americans would never consider a little half-baking to get to sleep at night but would take a hypnotic like zolpidem without batting an eyelash?
                              Last edited by Viking; 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                                have you tried self medication manipulation?
                                Works like a charm.
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X