Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Just a non-swimmer thinking out loud, but if the swimmer's turn is giving you a hard time, why not just swim to the wall and push off the other way?
    The issue is that it feels like it takes me about 10-15 meters to get into a groove so in a 25m pool, the turn quickly ends my flow.

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I suck at it as well, but I can now do 900m without stopping, which for me is an accomplishment. First advice is to not try and do a complex turn. Right now I just touch the wall, pop my head out of the water, take one breath while turning and then push off for the next lap. Keep it simple and don't worry about turning because, like you said, you don't really turn on a wall in an open water swim.

My biggest issue was just the rhythm of breathing, stroking and gliding. Right now I stroke with both arms and take a breath while doing that. Then I glide a bit (1-2 seconds) and then repeat. It keeps my heart rate down to not be constantly stroking and enables me to take a decent breath.

At some point I plan on going to a trainer to get faster, but for now I'm happy just being able to swim for 25 minutes non stop.
    I'm very impressed. I'd be stoked to get to the 500 straight mark. I will try to implement the glide rest into my cadre of tips tomorrow.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

I did 1,000 meters tonight in just over 26 minutes. My splits are crazy consistent as my fastest was 1:18 and the slowest was 1:20. I did do my last lap in 1:11 but I pushed it a bit there (no glide rest) just to see what I had left.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I headed out in our cold August morning and got my laps in while the light sprinkling started. I've recently done just 50m laps, rested, then gone again, but I felt inspired by Mol this morning (and the desire to warm up in the chilly water) and I went 100, 200, 100, 200 and then I planned to strive for a 200 to finish out with 800, but I was feeling good and, even more, I was feeling challenged by the thread to aim for more so I kept going and pulled a 500 to finish. I had to toss some sidestroke in along the way, but I'm still stoked by what I did this morning and I realize I need to just push myself more.

Unfortunately, our pool closes soon after Labor Day so I need let Mrs. PH convince me to join a gym with a pool. I guess the other option is to get kicked out of the house and stay a spell at a hotel with a pool, but I think I'd prefer the former over the latter.

Thanks for the push, folks!

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
          I headed out in our cold August morning and got my laps in while the light sprinkling started. I've recently done just 50m laps, rested, then gone again, but I felt inspired by Mol this morning (and the desire to warm up in the chilly water) and I went 100, 200, 100, 200 and then I planned to strive for a 200 to finish out with 800, but I was feeling good and, even more, I was feeling challenged by the thread to aim for more so I kept going and pulled a 500 to finish. I had to toss some sidestroke in along the way, but I'm still stoked by what I did this morning and I realize I need to just push myself more.

Unfortunately, our pool closes soon after Labor Day so I need let Mrs. PH convince me to join a gym with a pool. I guess the other option is to get kicked out of the house and stay a spell at a hotel with a pool, but I think I'd prefer the former over the latter.

Thanks for the push, folks!

Way to go man! I'm learning that swimming long distance is more about being comfortable in the water than anything else. When I first started I struggled with slowing myself down, taking breaths, not panicking when some water gets in my mouth, dragging my legs, etc. but the more I swim the more comfortable I feel. You've likely got the endurance to do it so it's nice to see it payoff this morning.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

800 m straight this morning! Well, more or less. I had some slow turns in there to adjust my nose piece and expel some unwanted water, but no real rest stops. Poco a poco. It's definitely rewarding to see the improvements that come with a little group motivation. I'm confident I could have pushed for more, probably 1k, but I had to get back and go to work.

Comment

Mol, did you get your mile in? I pushed it and went for it yesterday. I was having some nose plug issues and got a lot of water in the goggles at one point, so I was back to having more slow turns and a couple of unwanted stands, but I more or less made it and it feels like a decent accomplishment for someone who was gasping before 100 three weeks ago. The first 800 meters seemed to take forever and then the next 400 were dragging along, but once I hit 1200, things picked up and the last 400 were not nearly as arduous. I even added on another 50 to make sure I hit the mark. When I got out of the pool, my arms and legs felt so out of place, like jelly. I was tired, but the adjustment from water to land was more significant than the exhaustion.

Unfortunately, the pool closes this weekend so I need to make other options to get some practice in.

Comment

Any updated recs for underwater music while swimming laps? I saw the swimp3 earlier in the thread but that was a couple of years ago and recent reviews seem to be mixed.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Any updated recs for underwater music while swimming laps? I saw the swimp3 earlier in the thread but that was a couple of years ago and recent reviews seem to be mixed.
                  I have a thing that sits on the back of my head, held there by my goggles, with an ipod shuffle in it. Works as well as can be expected - sometimes I have to reinsert the earphones but it's otherwise okay. Can't remember the brand name, maybe I already mentioned it in this thread.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

We have been doing these breath control exercises in workout since the start of this season... new coach, new approach. The new drills are kind of fun; a change of pace at least. And they are really, really tough at the end of an hour-long workout.

One such exercise is swimming 4x50s with decreasing breaths on 20 seconds of rest followed by an easy 100, twice through. On the second time through the 50s, decrease the breaths from the top by 1.

For example, if the first 50 of the four is on 8 breaths, the 2nd is on 7, 3rd on 6, 4th on 5. Then the easy 100. First 50 of the 2nd set starts then with 7 breaths, then 6, then 5, then 4. Easy 100. Done.

Decrease your starting number of breaths over time as you hit your counts.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I own two pair of goggles; the typical swimming goggles that fit right over the eyeballs and a pair of triathlon goggles that are bigger and have broader coverage (supposedly giving a better peripheral persepective needed for open water swimming). Last time I swam in the pool I took the tri goggles and they constantly leaked. I tried to tighten them or adjust them every which way but couldn't get them to stop leaking. Finally I just gave up and swam with water sloshing around in my goggles.

Anyone else have this issue with the tri goggles? Any ways to fix it?

My goggles essentially look like this...

Comment

• WTF! Don't wear those... anywhere. You goof.

Get some Speedo Speed Sockets, mirror finish. Like these:

2929-9600-T.jpg

Seriously.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          WTF! Don't wear those... anywhere. You goof.
                          I don't know, couldn't he wear them snorkeling?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            WTF! Don't wear those... anywhere. You goof.

Get some Speedo Speed Sockets, mirror finish. Like these:

[ATTACH]3945[/ATTACH]

Seriously.
                            Ha, those are pretty much what I already have. I'll just wear them exclusively now as they are great. Mine are mirrored as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Ha, those are pretty much what I already have. I'll just wear them exclusively now as they are great. Mine are mirrored as well.
                              sorry nobody is buying it now that we have seen your other goggles/chemistry set safety eyewear.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                I don't know, couldn't he wear them snorkeling?
                                Only if he wanted to really flush out his sinuses.
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X