Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Has anyone tried Total Immersion Swimming?
    If you mean swimming completely underwater, then yes, I've done that before.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Has anyone tried Total Immersion Swimming?
      Yes.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Always the cheerful thought!
        I'm just sunshine and rainbows all the time!
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• WSJ has an interesting article about rising popularity of masters swim groups:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-u-s-m...ace-1438622826

Some highlights:

But for athletes who—because of injury or a been-there-done-that sense of ennui—have crossed their final finish line, U.S. Masters Swimming offers a way to stay race-day fit in the absence of competition. The group doesn’t pressure its members to compete and reassures prospective members that only 25% of its swimmers do compete. That strategy helps explain why Masters Swimming membership grew about 50% in the 10 years ended in 2014, to more than 62,000, says executive director Rob Butcher. “We want people to swim for health and fitness,” he says.
          . . .
          Masters swimming would seem to have all the makings of a fitness fad. It builds muscle, expands aerobic capacity and enhances flexibility. And it shares with CrossFit workouts and marathon running an elite aura, giving its members a certain cachet.

Yet its steady growth notwithstanding, Masters Swimming has never become the fitness world’s latest big thing. That’s surprising, in part because almost no recreational sport is hotter than triathlon—and the biggest challenge most would-be triathletes face is becoming an endurance swimmer. Yet triathlon, which didn’t exist at the time of the 1970 birth of U.S. Masters Swimming, now boasts three times as many U.S. participants.
          . . .
          Masters groups in the U.S. number more than 1,500, and Masters swimmers range in age from 18 to older than 100. Membership in the national organization costs $39 a year. The cost of pool time and coaching varies by group, ranging from $25 to $100 a month per person. That’s much lower than the cost of private swim lessons, which have exploded in popularity along with the rise of triathlon.

The sudden ubiquity of triathlon swim coaches irks Mr. Evans, the Southern California Masters coach. “Everyone is hanging out their shingle as a swim coach, and many of them have never swum a swim meet in their lives,” Mr. Evans says. Triathlon coaches might very well retort that their sport’s competitions take place in lakes, rivers and oceans—environments wilder than the pool. To attract triathletes, Masters Swimming has begun staging more so-called open-water swims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
            WSJ has an interesting article about rising popularity of masters swim groups:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-u-s-m...ace-1438622826

Some highlights:
            I can see the appeal of swimming for someone over fifty. For that triathlon last month I thought I better jump in the pool a few times after being away from it for about five years and I really enjoyed the workout. After only 30-35 minutes I would get all I workout I could handle and I felt strong without hurting. Also it seemed to stretch me out and a great way to fight from getting man boobs.

Comment

• Count me in. I just like to come up and get a real big breath of air before I head back.

Comment

Working...
              X