The official soup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by happyone View Post
    Cream of Potato soup is always a hit at my house.

3-4 lbs potatos cubed
    1 stalk celery minced - my kids don't like celery and this hides it a little
    1 carrot minced
    1/2 onion minced
    1 tsp bacon fat ( any other oil will do )
    1/2 lb ham cubed (optional)
    1 qt chicken stock or broth - enough to cover the potatos( I use Swanson's low sodium)
    2 cups canned milk ( can subsitute cream or half and half )
    salt and white pepper
    roux
    ( 1/4 c flour and 1/4 oil - I use a mixture of butter and bacon fat)

saute the onion, carrot, and celery in the bacon fat, in a 5-6 qt dutch oven. When soft add chicken stock and potatos. Simmer potatos until done (about 15-20 minutes). Add canned milk and ham (if desired) and bring back to a simmer. add salt and pepper to taste

Thicken with a roux to the desired thickness.

garnish with grated chedder cheese, parsley, bacon bits (if ham is not used)
    This sounds good. I am not much of a soup person, but ldc loves it. I think I might try and make this for dinner tonight.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      Cream of Potato soup is always a hit at my house.

3-4 lbs potatos cubed
      1 stalk celery minced - my kids don't like celery and this hides it a little
      1 carrot minced
      1/2 onion minced
      1 tsp bacon fat ( any other oil will do )
      1/2 lb ham cubed (optional)
      1 qt chicken stock or broth - enough to cover the potatos( I use Swanson's low sodium)
      2 cups canned milk ( can subsitute cream or half and half )
      salt and white pepper
      roux
      ( 1/4 c flour and 1/4 oil - I use a mixture of butter and bacon fat)

saute the onion, carrot, and celery in the bacon fat, in a 5-6 qt dutch oven. When soft add chicken stock and potatos. Simmer potatos until done (about 15-20 minutes). Add canned milk and ham (if desired) and bring back to a simmer. add salt and pepper to taste

Thicken with a roux to the desired thickness.

garnish with grated chedder cheese, parsley, bacon bits (if ham is not used)
      I think I am going to try this Sunday night. This looks pretty dang good.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        I think I am going to try this Sunday night. This looks pretty dang good.
        Bacon fat is listed not once but twice. How can you go wrong?
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

This one is very good:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Salmon-Chowder/Detail.aspx
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            I'm getting together with my siblings and their families on Sunday and we're all bringing soup. This is good because I've been craving some good soup so I want to bring a really tasty one.

Any ideas are welcome, but I'd prefer to find a cream soup rather than a broth soup, but not a really thick one. Does that make sense?
            This is my FAVORITE creamy soup. It's from Mimi's Cafe:

Mimi's Corn Chowder (Yields 2 1/2 quarts)

4 tablespoons butter or margarine
            3 cups frozen corn, thawed (I like to use white, sweet corn)
            1 medium chopped onion (I like to use a white onion)
            2 tablespoons sugar
            3/4 cup celery, large dice
            2 teaspoons salt
            2 1/2 cups hot water (I like to use chicken broth)
            1 pinch white pepper
            2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes (I like to use red potatoes)
            3 tablespoons flour
            1 quart Half & Half (I just use some 1% milk, or whatever I have)

On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown. Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender. Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency. Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency of the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes. Bon Appetite!

Comment

I love Market Street Chowder. When mrskccougar and I were poor students we would go to Market Street and make a meal out of two bowls of chowder a crab-stuffed mushroom appetizer, and sourdough bread. Yummy.
              Perhaps Utah Dan waited on you. He worked for The Broiler when we were first married. And yes, their Chowder is the best damned Clam Chowder ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                This is my FAVORITE creamy soup. It's from Mimi's Cafe:

Mimi's Corn Chowder (Yields 2 1/2 quarts)

4 tablespoons butter or margarine
                3 cups frozen corn, thawed (I like to use white, sweet corn)
                1 medium chopped onion (I like to use a white onion)
                2 tablespoons sugar
                3/4 cup celery, large dice
                2 teaspoons salt
                2 1/2 cups hot water (I like to use chicken broth)
                1 pinch white pepper
                2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes (I like to use red potatoes)
                3 tablespoons flour
                1 quart Half & Half (I just use some 1% milk, or whatever I have)

On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown. Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender. Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency. Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency of the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes. Bon Appetite!

That looks good. My brother has said he is bringing corn chowder - let's hope his is tasty too!
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Bacon fat is listed not once but twice. How can you go wrong?
                  Bacon fat is God's gift to cooking I keep a jar of it in the fridge.

I basically use canned milk, because that is what is in the house. Cream makes it a whole lot silkier.
                  Last edited by happyone; 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                    Perhaps Utah Dan waited on you. He worked for The Broiler when we were first married. And yes, their Chowder is the best damned Clam Chowder ever.
                    Mo's Chowder states a loud objection to this claim. Their chowder is world famous, says so right on the website.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Mo's Chowder states a loud objection to this claim. Their chowder is world famous, says so right on the website.
                      Best chowder I've had was a seafood chowder made by a little place in Bountiful - Sego Lily Cafe. I tasted it this summer at SLC's Art and Soup show. My wife and I went to Bountiful just to try it again, but they didn't include the chowder on their summer menu. I'm hoping they are serving it this winter and I will drive to Bountiful again to try it.

Comment

Don't you just love those "world famous" claims?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPDRnUWeBA"]YouTube- Worlds Best Cup of Coffee[/ame]

Truthfully. How can you go wrong with cream and butter in any chowder recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by kcc
                          I need a soup.
                          I'm pretty sure Danimal has the nicest one.

Comment

From the best food you've ever eaten thread:

http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...&postcount=104

Mo's is the bomb. They have awesome clam strips too.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              I'm pretty sure Danimal has the nicest one.
                              Signature quote!
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Signature quote!

Comment

Working...
                                X