The official soup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Super easy. I generally make a dashi out of kombu. Basically buy some kombu (dried kelp) from your Asian market and boil it. Then take the kombu out. There is your dashi. I make an awase dashi too which is kombu and katsuobushi (bonito flakes). I've done it for homemade saimin and miso soup.
    I can do that no problem.

How long do you boil?

Comment

• Thanks. I've asked the mods to merge the threads.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        It's not summer anymore.
        Maybe not in Ohio.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• This soup recipe thread needs more soup recipes.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I realize a stew is not a soup, but it seems close enough to include in this thread. I've really enjoyed this beef stew recipe and am making it this weekend.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ml?oc=linkback

I do make several changes to it though. Once everything is put together, I put it in the oven on low heat (about 225 to 275) and slow cook it for several hours. I also tend to substitute a cup of chicken stock for an extra cup of wine.

I'm also planning on making a few changes and incorporating some of this recipe into it.
            http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/b...red-wine-sauce
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              If you want pho Asian food, go to PF Changs.
              Isn't that faux Asian food?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                Isn't that faux Asian food?
                A-swing-and-a-miss..jpg
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                  I can do that no problem.

How long do you boil?
                  Long enough that the kombu will soften. I score the kombu with a knife usually. The dashi will turn a yellowish color. When the kombu is soft and the broth is yellow I stop.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    Here you go. Enjoy.

wuap's Green Pozole
                    What about Gumbo? Do you have a good chicken & sausage gumbo recipe?

I made one last night in my new Instant Pot, with some random recipe I found online. All told, it took about an hour to cook and was quite tasty. A little research told me that putting tomatoes in gumbo is a no-no.

Comment

• So my oldest informed me a few days ago that he is having 10-12 couples over on Saturday for homecoming and could we cook dinner. After bouncing some ideas for food he decided on turkey chili using the recipe from Deer Valley (as close to it as I could find on line). I’ve got a big pot simmering now. Smells great. I also have 9 pounds of rendered pork belly cooling in the fridge to make pork buns.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                        So my oldest informed me a few days ago that he is having 10-12 couples over on Saturday for homecoming and could we cook dinner. After bouncing some ideas for food he decided on turkey chili using the recipe from Deer Valley (as close to it as I could find on line). I’ve got a big pot simmering now. Smells great. I also have 9 pounds of rendered pork belly cooling in the fridge to make pork buns.
                        That's sounds delicious. Could you post the recipe for the chili?

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          That's sounds delicious. Could you post the recipe for the chili?
                          This is the recipe I used
                          https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/dee...-turkey-chili/
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            what did you do for the turkey? roast your own, or use something easier like chicken or ground turkey?

going to smash all of those cucks at the ward chili cook off this saturday
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              what did you do for the turkey? roast your own, or use something easier like chicken or ground turkey?

Good timing. I also need to demoralize the chili competition on Saturday.

Last time I won pretty easily with my smoked pulled pork concoction (basically threw in some leftover smoked pulled pork, cauliflower and broccoli from the football viewing party the day before with a can or two of Nalley chili, a couple cans of other types of beans, frozen white corn, and a sampling of whatever spices were in the cupboard). My victory was not so much about how good my chili was but rather how inedible most everyone else's was.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

I was going to roast a turkey breast but ran out of time. I bought a cooked turkey breast from Costco and cut it into cubes, which worked pretty well. I think you could use the Costco rotisserie chicken with similar results.

Comment

Working...
                                X