Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Suits

Default Expensive Suits

Anybody have an opinion whether an expensive suit is worth the difference in price over a mid-level suit? Background.

Yesterday Jos. A. Bank had a buy 1 get 2 free sale on their suits. Now I know there are many brands nicer than Jos. A. Bank, but I don't consider them a Nautica suit either. Anyway, I've never really had a "nice" suit before. I usually just buy something from the Nordstrom Rack for $200 or so. But last night, I bought three of Jos. A. Bank's nicest suits (b/c of the deal). I spent more money than my wife wanted (or expected), but my thought was that these suits will last longer and wear better than the crappy $200 suits I've been buying, so maybe the extra cost is worth it. I'm kinda hoping to not have to buy another suit for 4 or 5 years (I also bought 3 of their 2nd tier suits, but I don't think I'll be keeping all 6 suits - 3 of them are going back for sure).

Any opinions?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I have a few suits from there that are four years old or so, and they've worn well. I think Jos. A. Bank clothes are worth it if you can get them on sale.
    Not that, sickos.

You seem to be confusing price with "nice suit." Nordstrom rack sells some really well-made suits for less because they are clearing them out. They also sell suits that are not as well made.

What do you consider to be a "nice" suit (not talking brand here, btw).

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.....but generally speaking the best tailored suits will be more expensive, yes.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    You seem to be confusing price with "nice suit." Nordstrom rack sells some really well-made suits for less because they are clearing them out. They also sell suits that are not as well made.

What do you consider to be a "nice" suit (not talking brand here, btw).

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.....but generally speaking the best tailored suits will be more expensive, yes.
    I knew we'd get into this. I know that Nordstrom Rack has some nice suits. But they have some real crap too. But that's not the point of this thread.

I'm not sure how to define a "nice" suit without talking brands. I'm not exactly a clothier. I get the feeling these suits I bought might not be the best value at full price (compared to say what you could get from another brand at the same price), but for 1/3rd the price they seem like a pretty good value.

If you've got a good set of characteristics a "nice" suit should have, I'd love to hear them.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint258 View Post
    I have a few suits from there that are four years old or so, and they've worn well. I think Jos. A. Bank clothes are worth it if you can get them on sale.
    Thanks. Its been a while since I bought a suit. Believe it or not, the last suit I bought was actually from Costco for $100. Its worn out now, so I can use the $100 I'll be getting back for it to offset the price of the new suits.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I knew we'd get into this. I know that Nordstrom Rack has some nice suits. But they have some real crap too. But that's not the point of this thread.

I'm not sure how to define a "nice" suit without talking brands. I'm not exactly a clothier. I get the feeling these suits I bought might not be the best value at full price (compared to say what you could get from another brand at the same price), but for 1/3rd the price they seem like a pretty good value.

If you've got a good set of characteristics a "nice" suit should have, I'd love to hear them.
    Without commenting on my own preferences, some general commonalities amongst "nice" suits (tailored)

1. lined pants
    2. hand-stitched, not machine stitched
    3. fully canvassed, not fused
    4. functioning buttons on the cuff (the gold standard!)
    5. type of fabric (what sort of wool are you rocking)
    6. hand-set sleeves

There are probably many more factors to consider. I wouldn't factor in style preferences (2 or 3 button, vent/no vent, lapels, 2 or 3 pockets, etc) because those things do not necessarily go to quality...and I believe your question pertains to quality.

One sure fire way to know that your suit is off the rack and all machine made: they come with 2 pairs of pants (even if the pants are lined).

I'm not saying that machine suits are bad (I have a few of those and really enjoy them). I am simply throwing out factors to consider if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice suit.

Overall, to answer your question....yes, there is definitely a fit difference with a bespoke suit. It is immediately noticeable.

Without commenting on my own preferences, some general commonalities amongst "nice" suits (tailored)

1. lined pants
    6. hand-set sleeves

There are probably many more factors to consider. I wouldn't factor in style preferences (2 or 3 button, vent/no vent, lapels, 2 or 3 pockets, etc) because those things do not necessarily go to quality...and I believe your question pertains to quality.

One sure fire way to know that your suit is off the rack and all machine made: they come with 2 pairs of pants (even if the pants are lined).

I'm not saying that machine suits are bad (I have a few of those and really enjoy them). I am simply throwing out factors to consider if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice suit.

Overall, to answer your question....yes, there is definitely a fit difference with a bespoke suit. It is immediately noticeable.
    Thanks. I think that these suits meet at least some of those characteristics, not others, and others still I'm not sure about. I also think that these suits are more in the "semi-nice" category, as compared to what you've defined as "nice."

Definitely no two pairs of pants. I haven't seen those since my missionary suits, so that's good news. No functioning buttons at the cuff, but they claim to be cut so that they could be altered as such. I'm sure I won't do that. Pants are lined, to the knee. I have no idea if they are handstitched or not. I'm also not sure of the wool. Are you asking about 120s vs. 140s, or are you talking about the actual type of wool?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Okay, I've done some reading, and it turns out that a lot of people consider Jos A Bank to make a crappy suit (no offense thesaint, the ones I bought seem nice).

If any of you feel this way, please don't hesitate to tell me. I don't want a piece of garbage (much less three pieces of garbage).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Okay, I've done some reading, and it turns out that a lot of people consider Jos A Bank to make a crappy suit (no offense thesaint, the ones I bought seem nice).

If any of you feel this way, please don't hesitate to tell me. I don't want a piece of garbage (much less three pieces of garbage).
    I will weigh in here because I have owned many suits of many different types.

Because I am nowhere near vain enough to get a fully tailored one, I get stuff off the rack and then get it tailored. (I view suits in the same vein I view chemotherapy: technically necessary if you need it, but expensive and not all that fun).

I don't mind Jos. A. Banks suits. I own one right now. I have suffered no ill effects from wearing the Jos. A. Banks suit. It makes me look acceptable for business meetings and church in a nice Navy herringbone weave.

I also have an Armani I picked up on a killer sale in NY (same price as the JAB suit). It is also nice. It does a very good job of making me look classier than when I wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, as does the JAB suit, except in more of charcoal.

I have also a Ralph Lauren suit that also makes me look classier than jeans and a t-shirt, except this time in grey and with pinstripes.

I am glad I have classy suits to cover up all of my boorish behavior.

1. lined pants
    6. hand-set sleeves

Where do you prefer to buy your suits 3D?

I have a Hickey Freeman and a couple of Hart Schaffner Marx suits; I also have some JAB suits. One of the JAB suits equals my top line suits, but the other two are of lesser quality. I like to wait for the semi annual Dillard's sale on suits when they are half off; you can get some good stuff
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by John McClain View Post
    I have a Hickey Freeman and a couple of Hart Schaffner Marx suits; I also have some JAB suits. One of the JAB suits equals my top line suits, but the other two are of lesser quality. I like to wait for the semi annual Dillard's sale on suits when they are half off; you can get some good stuff
    Those are good sales, I've been tempted many times. May I ask what line your JAB is that equals your top of the line other suits?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If I ever buy a suit again, I'm getting it tailored in Costa Rica, and it's going to be black linen.

I hope to never have to ever buy a suit again. However, having sold men's clothing on eBay for several years, I would say that what DDD has defined is important, especially hand-stitching. Personally, I like the lining of fancier clothing, but not the price tag. Tommy Bahama, for example, their sport coats, are silk-lined with working sleeve buttons. When you put one on, it feels completely different from the normal things you wear, and the tailoring is immaculate (they sell no seconds, ever). However, $525 for one silk sport coat is way beyond anything I'd want to pay. Yet, people will pay it. I've always been shocked at what rich people can afford. I know they have money, but it's so far-removed from my reality, that when people would buy 6-7 camp shirts from me at $100 a pop, I still can't imagine having that much disposable income.

Ike Behar makes very solid clothing (their silk ties are of superior-grade material and craftsmanship, and they are the thickest ties I've ever seen--ergo, they stay in place and don't flop around). I'm not sure about the quality of Brooks Brothers anymore, and I would never buy Nautica.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Anybody have an opinion whether an expensive suit is worth the difference in price over a mid-level suit? Background.

Yesterday Jos. A. Bank had a buy 1 get 2 free sale on their suits. Now I know there are many brands nicer than Jos. A. Bank, but I don't consider them a Nautica suit either. Anyway, I've never really had a "nice" suit before. I usually just buy something from the Nordstrom Rack for $200 or so. But last night, I bought three of Jos. A. Bank's nicest suits (b/c of the deal). I spent more money than my wife wanted (or expected), but my thought was that these suits will last longer and wear better than the crappy $200 suits I've been buying, so maybe the extra cost is worth it. I'm kinda hoping to not have to buy another suit for 4 or 5 years (I also bought 3 of their 2nd tier suits, but I don't think I'll be keeping all 6 suits - 3 of them are going back for sure).

Any opinions?
    All of my suits are made-to-measure: three from a tailor in Singapore and two from a tailor in Tokyo. The Singapore suits are made of cashmere. One of them in particular is the crown jewel of my entire wardrobe, and it continues to wear well after two years of regular usage. Since they're made-to-measure by Asian tailors, they're only a tad more expensive than something I could get off a rack in the U.S., but the quality of materials is much higher. I highly recommend having suits made if you ever find yourself anywhere in Asia, including Tokyo.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    All of my suits are made-to-measure: three from a tailor in Singapore and two from a tailor in Tokyo. The Singapore suits are made of cashmere. One of them in particular is the crown jewel of my entire wardrobe, and it continues to wear well after two years of regular usage. Since they're made-to-measure by Asian tailors, they're only a tad more expensive than something I could get off a rack in the U.S., but the quality of materials is much higher. I highly recommend having suits made if you ever find yourself anywhere in Asia, including Tokyo.
    I've often seen tailors come to Las Vegas on so-called "tours" of the U.S. where they meet you in their hotel room and measure you and you pick out your fabric and then they send the suits to you. I've never dared meet with those guys.

I have friends that have gone to various asian countries and had suits tailored. Korea, Vietnam, etc. I would like to be able to do that some time, but only if I'm there for another purpose.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    I will weigh in here because I have owned many suits of many different types.

Because I am nowhere near vain enough to get a fully tailored one, I get stuff off the rack and then get it tailored.
    This is the key, if you ask me. The foremost sign of the well-dressed is that their clothes fit properly. The quality and construction of the garment is of no import if it doesn't sit well.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I can't be the only person here that owns a couple Stacy Adams suits, can I?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I have an idea. Y'all guys all post pics in your suits, and the cuffettes will tell you which ones look best!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I would go out on a huge limb and guess yes. I'll channel my inner Hallelujah and say you're also probably the only Caucasian with one too.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Heck no. Count me in. Every year I get a new Stacy Adams suit for NBA All-Star weekend. Croc loafers, too. Maybe some zebra skin loafers if it has been a particularly good year.

I am torn for Christmas and I need to get my order in today. Green suit, red shirt/tie or red suit, green shirt/tie. I can not decide!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

One of the nice things about spending so much time in Asia is I only own completely hand tailored suits only. And they were all under $150. I wouldn't know if they are good or not. I also wouldn't know how to buy one at a store. I have a tailor I in Manila. I go in, he has about four women come measure me. They all make cracks in their language about how fat I am and how many sheep I am killing to get enough wool for me. I come back 5 days later and pick up a new suit. It's a lot of fun.

I hate suits.

I am torn for Christmas and I need to get my order in today. Green suit, red shirt/tie or red suit, green shirt/tie. I can not decide!
    Go with the snowflake look. White suit, white shirt and blue tie.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Go with the snowflake look. White suit, white shirt and blue tie.
    Too late, already ordered. Plus that would be a good look for Jan-Feb not Christmas.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

I only have two nice suits. They are from john phillips,London. Rumor has it Arafat shops there
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

When do you people find occasion to wear a suit? Work? Church? I thought the only profession still wearing suits was bankers, and the only people uptight enough to wear one to church are in the bishopric.

I have three suits in my closet, both were purchased the year I got home from my mission ('01). I've thought about replacing them, but what for? The only time any of them have been worn was for job interviews, but since that's over and nobody seemed to care how nice my suit was, I don't a need for one. Ok, maybe I see a need for one, but no more than that.

Business casual to work, throw a tie on the same for church.

I wear suits to church on special occasions. I thought you law talking guys had to wear a suit.

Also no reason to wear a tie to church, I feel more worthy since I have stopped wearing one.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I have an idea. Y'all guys all post pics in your suits, and the cuffettes will tell you which ones look best!
    Here are some pics I took this last summer after I got the topcoat made in Singapore and the gray suit made here in Japan.

And here's the topcoat over the blue cashmere suit that I had made two years ago and that I'm still obsessed with:

I need to lose 10 pounds to make the suit fit perfectly.

*EDIT: Dang, my office looks empty there. Since then I've put up curtains and pictures.*
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

I wear suits to church on special occasions. I thought you law talking guys had to wear a suit.

Also no reason to wear a tie to church, I feel more worthy since I have stopped wearing one.
    There are special occasions at church? Somebody forgot to notify me!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    There are special occasions at church? Somebody forgot to notify me!
    Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick's Day, 4th of July weekend (24th of July weekend if you are in Utah), baby blessings.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke