Expensive Suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Suits

Anybody have an opinion whether an expensive suit is worth the difference in price over a mid-level suit? Background.

Yesterday Jos. A. Bank had a buy 1 get 2 free sale on their suits. Now I know there are many brands nicer than Jos. A. Bank, but I don't consider them a Nautica suit either. Anyway, I've never really had a "nice" suit before. I usually just buy something from the Nordstrom Rack for $200 or so. But last night, I bought three of Jos. A. Bank's nicest suits (b/c of the deal). I spent more money than my wife wanted (or expected), but my thought was that these suits will last longer and wear better than the crappy $200 suits I've been buying, so maybe the extra cost is worth it. I'm kinda hoping to not have to buy another suit for 4 or 5 years (I also bought 3 of their 2nd tier suits, but I don't think I'll be keeping all 6 suits - 3 of them are going back for sure).

Any opinions?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I have a few suits from there that are four years old or so, and they've worn well. I think Jos. A. Bank clothes are worth it if you can get them on sale.
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

You seem to be confusing price with "nice suit." Nordstrom rack sells some really well-made suits for less because they are clearing them out. They also sell suits that are not as well made.

What do you consider to be a "nice" suit (not talking brand here, btw).

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.....but generally speaking the best tailored suits will be more expensive, yes.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        You seem to be confusing price with "nice suit." Nordstrom rack sells some really well-made suits for less because they are clearing them out. They also sell suits that are not as well made.

What do you consider to be a "nice" suit (not talking brand here, btw).

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.....but generally speaking the best tailored suits will be more expensive, yes.
        I knew we'd get into this. I know that Nordstrom Rack has some nice suits. But they have some real crap too. But that's not the point of this thread.

I'm not sure how to define a "nice" suit without talking brands. I'm not exactly a clothier. I get the feeling these suits I bought might not be the best value at full price (compared to say what you could get from another brand at the same price), but for 1/3rd the price they seem like a pretty good value.

If you've got a good set of characteristics a "nice" suit should have, I'd love to hear them.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
          I have a few suits from there that are four years old or so, and they've worn well. I think Jos. A. Bank clothes are worth it if you can get them on sale.
          Thanks. Its been a while since I bought a suit. Believe it or not, the last suit I bought was actually from Costco for $100. Its worn out now, so I can use the $100 I'll be getting back for it to offset the price of the new suits.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I knew we'd get into this. I know that Nordstrom Rack has some nice suits. But they have some real crap too. But that's not the point of this thread.

I'm not sure how to define a "nice" suit without talking brands. I'm not exactly a clothier. I get the feeling these suits I bought might not be the best value at full price (compared to say what you could get from another brand at the same price), but for 1/3rd the price they seem like a pretty good value.

If you've got a good set of characteristics a "nice" suit should have, I'd love to hear them.
            Without commenting on my own preferences, some general commonalities amongst "nice" suits (tailored)

1. lined pants
            2. hand-stitched, not machine stitched
            3. fully canvassed, not fused
            4. functioning buttons on the cuff (the gold standard!)
            5. type of fabric (what sort of wool are you rocking)
            6. hand-set sleeves

There are probably many more factors to consider. I wouldn't factor in style preferences (2 or 3 button, vent/no vent, lapels, 2 or 3 pockets, etc) because those things do not necessarily go to quality...and I believe your question pertains to quality.

One sure fire way to know that your suit is off the rack and all machine made: they come with 2 pairs of pants (even if the pants are lined).

I'm not saying that machine suits are bad (I have a few of those and really enjoy them). I am simply throwing out factors to consider if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice suit.

Overall, to answer your question....yes, there is definitely a fit difference with a bespoke suit. It is immediately noticeable.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Without commenting on my own preferences, some general commonalities amongst "nice" suits (tailored)

1. lined pants
              6. hand-set sleeves

There are probably many more factors to consider. I wouldn't factor in style preferences (2 or 3 button, vent/no vent, lapels, 2 or 3 pockets, etc) because those things do not necessarily go to quality...and I believe your question pertains to quality.

One sure fire way to know that your suit is off the rack and all machine made: they come with 2 pairs of pants (even if the pants are lined).

I'm not saying that machine suits are bad (I have a few of those and really enjoy them). I am simply throwing out factors to consider if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice suit.

Overall, to answer your question....yes, there is definitely a fit difference with a bespoke suit. It is immediately noticeable.
              Thanks. I think that these suits meet at least some of those characteristics, not others, and others still I'm not sure about. I also think that these suits are more in the "semi-nice" category, as compared to what you've defined as "nice."

Definitely no two pairs of pants. I haven't seen those since my missionary suits, so that's good news. No functioning buttons at the cuff, but they claim to be cut so that they could be altered as such. I'm sure I won't do that. Pants are lined, to the knee. I have no idea if they are handstitched or not. I'm also not sure of the wool. Are you asking about 120s vs. 140s, or are you talking about the actual type of wool?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Okay, I've done some reading, and it turns out that a lot of people consider Jos A Bank to make a crappy suit (no offense thesaint, the ones I bought seem nice).

If any of you feel this way, please don't hesitate to tell me. I don't want a piece of garbage (much less three pieces of garbage).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Okay, I've done some reading, and it turns out that a lot of people consider Jos A Bank to make a crappy suit (no offense thesaint, the ones I bought seem nice).

If any of you feel this way, please don't hesitate to tell me. I don't want a piece of garbage (much less three pieces of garbage).
                  I will weigh in here because I have owned many suits of many different types.

Because I am nowhere near vain enough to get a fully tailored one, I get stuff off the rack and then get it tailored. (I view suits in the same vein I view chemotherapy: technically necessary if you need it, but expensive and not all that fun).

I don't mind Jos. A. Banks suits. I own one right now. I have suffered no ill effects from wearing the Jos. A. Banks suit. It makes me look acceptable for business meetings and church in a nice Navy herringbone weave.

I also have an Armani I picked up on a killer sale in NY (same price as the JAB suit). It is also nice. It does a very good job of making me look classier than when I wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, as does the JAB suit, except in more of charcoal.

I have also a Ralph Lauren suit that also makes me look classier than jeans and a t-shirt, except this time in grey and with pinstripes.

I am glad I have classy suits to cover up all of my boorish behavior.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

1. lined pants
                    6. hand-set sleeves

Where do you prefer to buy your suits 3D?

Comment

I have a Hickey Freeman and a couple of Hart Schaffner Marx suits; I also have some JAB suits. One of the JAB suits equals my top line suits, but the other two are of lesser quality. I like to wait for the semi annual Dillard's sale on suits when they are half off; you can get some good stuff
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                        I have a Hickey Freeman and a couple of Hart Schaffner Marx suits; I also have some JAB suits. One of the JAB suits equals my top line suits, but the other two are of lesser quality. I like to wait for the semi annual Dillard's sale on suits when they are half off; you can get some good stuff
                        Those are good sales, I've been tempted many times. May I ask what line your JAB is that equals your top of the line other suits?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If I ever buy a suit again, I'm getting it tailored in Costa Rica, and it's going to be black linen.

I hope to never have to ever buy a suit again. However, having sold men's clothing on eBay for several years, I would say that what DDD has defined is important, especially hand-stitching. Personally, I like the lining of fancier clothing, but not the price tag. Tommy Bahama, for example, their sport coats, are silk-lined with working sleeve buttons. When you put one on, it feels completely different from the normal things you wear, and the tailoring is immaculate (they sell no seconds, ever). However, $525 for one silk sport coat is way beyond anything I'd want to pay. Yet, people will pay it. I've always been shocked at what rich people can afford. I know they have money, but it's so far-removed from my reality, that when people would buy 6-7 camp shirts from me at $100 a pop, I still can't imagine having that much disposable income.

Ike Behar makes very solid clothing (their silk ties are of superior-grade material and craftsmanship, and they are the thickest ties I've ever seen--ergo, they stay in place and don't flop around). I'm not sure about the quality of Brooks Brothers anymore, and I would never buy Nautica.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Anybody have an opinion whether an expensive suit is worth the difference in price over a mid-level suit? Background.

Yesterday Jos. A. Bank had a buy 1 get 2 free sale on their suits. Now I know there are many brands nicer than Jos. A. Bank, but I don't consider them a Nautica suit either. Anyway, I've never really had a "nice" suit before. I usually just buy something from the Nordstrom Rack for $200 or so. But last night, I bought three of Jos. A. Bank's nicest suits (b/c of the deal). I spent more money than my wife wanted (or expected), but my thought was that these suits will last longer and wear better than the crappy $200 suits I've been buying, so maybe the extra cost is worth it. I'm kinda hoping to not have to buy another suit for 4 or 5 years (I also bought 3 of their 2nd tier suits, but I don't think I'll be keeping all 6 suits - 3 of them are going back for sure).

Any opinions?
                            All of my suits are made-to-measure: three from a tailor in Singapore and two from a tailor in Tokyo. The Singapore suits are made of cashmere. One of them in particular is the crown jewel of my entire wardrobe, and it continues to wear well after two years of regular usage. Since they're made-to-measure by Asian tailors, they're only a tad more expensive than something I could get off a rack in the U.S., but the quality of materials is much higher. I highly recommend having suits made if you ever find yourself anywhere in Asia, including Tokyo.
                            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              All of my suits are made-to-measure: three from a tailor in Singapore and two from a tailor in Tokyo. The Singapore suits are made of cashmere. One of them in particular is the crown jewel of my entire wardrobe, and it continues to wear well after two years of regular usage. Since they're made-to-measure by Asian tailors, they're only a tad more expensive than something I could get off a rack in the U.S., but the quality of materials is much higher. I highly recommend having suits made if you ever find yourself anywhere in Asia, including Tokyo.
                              I've often seen tailors come to Las Vegas on so-called "tours" of the U.S. where they meet you in their hotel room and measure you and you pick out your fabric and then they send the suits to you. I've never dared meet with those guys.

I have friends that have gone to various asian countries and had suits tailored. Korea, Vietnam, etc. I would like to be able to do that some time, but only if I'm there for another purpose.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X