Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 130

Thread: Expensive Suits

  1. #91
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    6,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    the tank top I bought was wayyy too big
    Speaking as a guy here, that's generally not a problem.

  2. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I don't know. Interesting thing was, I told both my sis and my mom this story (separately), and each of them immediately responded with, "Was he black?"
    Sadly that was my first thought as well. First thought that popped in to my head was Bishop Don Juan.





    *Banned*

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Speaking as a guy here, that's generally not a problem.
    well, that was kind of a joke. I tend to just save time and money by buying a 4T to begin with.

    I was really there to have a new zipper put in my jeans.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    well, that was kind of a joke. I tend to just save time and money by buying a 4T to begin with.

    I was really there to have a new zipper put in my jeans.
    Wore out the old zipper? Not surprising in the slightest.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Wore out the old zipper? Not surprising in the slightest.
    For $200 you'd think the jeans people could manage a little more in the way of structural integrity! Maybe if they spent less money on those giant gold apples on the rear...

  6. #96
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    For $200 you'd think the jeans people could manage a little more in the way of structural integrity! Maybe if they spent less money on those giant gold apples on the rear...
    How much did you pay for your boots with the fur?

  7. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    How much did you pay for your boots with the fur?
    as if. I only ever pair my jeans with caged sandals. The uggs I wear with my cargo pants.

  8. #98
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,834

    Default

    Been looking around at suits again. And came across The Wizard of Ahhs.

    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

    He's gotten some rave reviews from some places like styleforum and askandy including a glowing review from Andy. The prices are awesome. Their cheapest suit are canvassed and not fused and supposedly come out of the same factories that other unnamed suit makers do.

    My issue is that I am about a 46L depending on the suit maker. I'd feel more comfortable if I had a quality tailor I could trust. As such, I am just not sure I can pull the trigger with an online suit. That said, they seem to have a great return policy in case fitting is an issue and they do include all the measurements for their suits online.

    Anyone have any experience with them?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  9. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Been looking around at suits again. And came across The Wizard of Ahhs.

    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

    He's gotten some rave reviews from some places like styleforum and askandy including a glowing review from Andy. The prices are awesome. Their cheapest suit are canvassed and not fused and supposedly come out of the same factories that other unnamed suit makers do.

    My issue is that I am about a 46L depending on the suit maker. I'd feel more comfortable if I had a quality tailor I could trust. As such, I am just not sure I can pull the trigger with an online suit. That said, they seem to have a great return policy in case fitting is an issue and they do include all the measurements for their suits online.

    Anyone have any experience with them?
    find a good tailor (can't be that hard), schedule an appointment for a fitting, buy the suit and if it's obvious at the fitting that it isn't going to work then return it. I've purchased stuff from De Calo fashion and they have a window of time after the receipt of goods where you can return it, just have to pay shipping. I'm sure The Wiz has something like that.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  10. #100
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Been looking around at suits again. And came across The Wizard of Ahhs.

    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

    He's gotten some rave reviews from some places like styleforum and askandy including a glowing review from Andy. The prices are awesome. Their cheapest suit are canvassed and not fused and supposedly come out of the same factories that other unnamed suit makers do.

    My issue is that I am about a 46L depending on the suit maker. I'd feel more comfortable if I had a quality tailor I could trust. As such, I am just not sure I can pull the trigger with an online suit. That said, they seem to have a great return policy in case fitting is an issue and they do include all the measurements for their suits online.

    Anyone have any experience with them?
    Canvassed? Fused? We have a budding fashionista in our midst! Actually, given your penchant for finding deals on suits, you may be a recessionista, as well (a good thing, btw).

    I hate his pic on the website. He needs to lose that guido homepage. That being said, the styles look nice, at least at quick glance.

    Im not sure I understand the online/tailor concern. Just buy the suit unaltered and then have it fitted locally. Coat sizes are fairly universal. If you go slim/euro fit, you might have to adjust up a size but other than that, a 46L should be a 46L, be it online or in person. Same with waist.

    My impression overall of the site is that it is a suit equivalent to a shoe store like Aldo.....they sell brands that sound Italian, so you assume they must be really good. But the price indicates that the suits are probably not as good as you think. However, there is a nice intersection of style and quality.

    Buying a suit is fun. Enjoy.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  11. #101
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Canvassed? Fused? We have a budding fashionista in our midst! Actually, given your penchant for finding deals on suits, you may be a recessionista, as well (a good thing, btw).

    I hate his pic on the website. He needs to lose that guido homepage. That being said, the styles look nice, at least at quick glance.

    Im not sure I understand the online/tailor concern. Just buy the suit unaltered and then have it fitted locally. Coat sizes are fairly universal. If you go slim/euro fit, you might have to adjust up a size but other than that, a 46L should be a 46L, be it online or in person. Same with waist.

    My impression overall of the site is that it is a suit equivalent to a shoe store like Aldo.....they sell brands that sound Italian, so you assume they must be really good. But the price indicates that the suits are probably not as good as you think. However, there is a nice intersection of style and quality.

    Buying a suit is fun. Enjoy.
    What about 2 pant suits? I know they are running a special at some of the finer haberdasheries. If I buy 2 suits I then have 4 pants, 3 jackets- 6 fine trousers, etc

  12. #102
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    What about 2 pant suits? I know they are running a special at some of the finer haberdasheries. If I buy 2 suits I then have 4 pants, 3 jackets- 6 fine trousers, etc
    you know for sure that you are getting quality couture when they throw in the extra pants. And really, who doesn't burn through a pair of suit pants and think, "man, I sure wish I had a second pair so I can wear this suit another 7 years."
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  13. #103
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    What about 2 pant suits? I know they are running a special at some of the finer haberdasheries. If I buy 2 suits I then have 4 pants, 3 jackets- 6 fine trousers, etc
    Yeah but do they sew in the extra liner in the crotch?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  14. #104
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,834

    Default

    Speaking of bad suits, man Eric Davis looks like a clown on First Take today. His sleeves and lapel are a solid hunter green color and the rest of his jacket is patterned. He has a mandarin collar vest that nearly covers his shirt and tie which are salmon.

    I can't even fathom how much he spent to look so bad.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  15. #105

    Default

    you know how they have all those professional skills clinics for students at law school? Why don't they offer one on "how to buy and wear a suit that fits"? I mean for goodness sake, guys, buy a belt and get a longer tie. Also, I know it's hard to believe, but your pant cuffs are not supposed to drag the sidewalk. Really.

  16. #106
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Speaking of bad suits, man Eric Davis looks like a clown on First Take today. His sleeves and lapel are a solid hunter green color and the rest of his jacket is patterned. He has a mandarin collar vest that nearly covers his shirt and tie which are salmon.

    I can't even fathom how much he spent to look so bad.
    I'm always amazed that ESPN doesn't exercise more control over the "talent's" wardrobe. If I were a network exec, I'd insist on some level of veto power. [Ex]football players are the worst.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Been looking around at suits again. And came across The Wizard of Ahhs.

    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

    He's gotten some rave reviews from some places like styleforum and askandy including a glowing review from Andy. The prices are awesome. Their cheapest suit are canvassed and not fused and supposedly come out of the same factories that other unnamed suit makers do.

    My issue is that I am about a 46L depending on the suit maker. I'd feel more comfortable if I had a quality tailor I could trust. As such, I am just not sure I can pull the trigger with an online suit. That said, they seem to have a great return policy in case fitting is an issue and they do include all the measurements for their suits online.

    Anyone have any experience with them?
    I like this statement from his website:

    If colors seem too dark, to [sic]light or not as decribed [sic] please adjust your monitor's brightness and/or contrast settings
    Typographical and grammatical errors notwithstanding, it's reassuring to know that I can adjust my monitor until the image color matches the description. This way I can be sure I'm purchasing the right color.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  18. #108
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,372

    Default

    I feel like I can't take this guy seriously when he chooses a tie like this to "complement" the suit.



    He's got great reviews though. I always find it funny when products are sold for a very low price, but retail is claimed to be 3 or 4 times that amount. There's a watch brand that is always sold for 1/4th its "retail value."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  19. #109
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    you know how they have all those professional skills clinics for students at law school? Why don't they offer one on "how to buy and wear a suit that fits"? I mean for goodness sake, guys, buy a belt and get a longer tie. Also, I know it's hard to believe, but your pant cuffs are not supposed to drag the sidewalk. Really.
    How about just polishing your shoes once in awhile? I try to wear nice quality shoes and keep them looking sharp. What fully converted me was several years ago I was at the Nordstrom downtown in Seattle and picking out a few shirts that I had the nice young lady hold for me while I looked around. As I always do when there, I got my shoes shined (they have 3 generations that have worked at that store for 25+ years. Super nice guys). When I went back to pick up my shirts, she commented on how good my shoes looked. I was shocked she noticed, I thought my wife was the only one who paid attention to stuff like that. In my opinion a professional shine is the biggest bargain in fashion $3-5 for something that last a month, is well worth the cost of Whopper and it only takes 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-30-2010 at 10:45 AM.

  20. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I feel like I can't take this guy seriously when he chooses a tie like this to "complement" the suit.
    you forgot to adjust your monitor, didn't you?

  21. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I feel like I can't take this guy seriously when he chooses a tie like this to "complement" the suit.

    Not to mention the quality of the knot. Really, that was the best knot you could tie for a display photo?

    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  22. #112
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Not to mention the quality of the knot. Really, that was the best knot you could tie for a display photo?

    I was going to comment on the knot. Horrible. That tie will be sliding down in a matter of minutes.
    Last edited by falafel; 09-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  23. #113

    Default

    I chose a career based in part on almost never having to wear a suit.

  24. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I feel like I can't take this guy seriously when he chooses a tie like this to "complement" the suit.



    He's got great reviews though. I always find it funny when products are sold for a very low price, but retail is claimed to be 3 or 4 times that amount. There's a watch brand that is always sold for 1/4th its "retail value."
    Good hell, this tie looks like a ton of other ties that at least 3/4 of the missionaries had when I was in the MTC. The designer must have been a Mr. Mac staple.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  25. #115
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    you know how they have all those professional skills clinics for students at law school? Why don't they offer one on "how to buy and wear a suit that fits"? I mean for goodness sake, guys, buy a belt and get a longer tie. Also, I know it's hard to believe, but your pant cuffs are not supposed to drag the sidewalk. Really.


    ps I do agree, though. ill-fitted suits are the domain of missionaries, Mormon clergy, and the college-aged unemployed
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  26. #116
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    you know how they have all those professional skills clinics for students at law school? Why don't they offer one on "how to buy and wear a suit that fits"? I mean for goodness sake, guys, buy a belt and get a longer tie. Also, I know it's hard to believe, but your pant cuffs are not supposed to drag the sidewalk. Really.
    Do they recommend bolo ties and boots at the UT law school?

    In grad school at the MSM we had a person from Nordstrom come in to discuss proper professional dress. It was a very good session and I did learn a lot. I always found it funny that the person led off with "You should never wear a mission suit to an interview!" Five years later I was back on campus doing interviews for my firm and I had many candidates that I knew were wearing mission suits. Not because they didn't fit properly but because they were faded in most places except for two long stripes that came over the shoulders and down under the arms.

  27. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    exactly. QED.

  28. #118

    Default

    So I took a stab at an Indochino suit. They were running a black friday special, so the suit was only $329 (normally 899, but we all know what that means). Anyway, this company has hammered the social media and podcast marketing, and the reviews are generally good. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. For those who don't know, Indochino lets you take your measurements and submit them, then they use your measurements to create a custom-fitted suit. Bespoke, as they say. Mrs. D took my measurements, and I picked a fabric and my customizations, etc. and ordered the suit.

    My suit came yesterday. Yikes. While the material is nice, this thing fits worse than any off-the rack suit i've ever tried on. The pants are at least 2-inches too big, and are way too long (and super wide at the bottom--WTF!? It's not 2001, bro.). The suit seriously looks like I am wearing my dad's suit jacket (though the sleeves are too short--the bane of my long-armed existence). That's putting it mildly. I'm not sure this thing can be altered as much as it needs to be altered without ruining the windowpane design. TBD, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to make a completely new suit (or if they just offer a redund). I"ll try it on and take a couple pics to show just how poorly it fits. It's pretty funny, actually.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  29. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    So I took a stab at an Indochino suit. They were running a black friday special, so the suit was only $329 (normally 899, but we all know what that means). Anyway, this company has hammered the social media and podcast marketing, and the reviews are generally good. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. For those who don't know, Indochino lets you take your measurements and submit them, then they use your measurements to create a custom-fitted suit. Bespoke, as they say. Mrs. D took my measurements, and I picked a fabric and my customizations, etc. and ordered the suit.

    My suit came yesterday. Yikes. While the material is nice, this thing fits worse than any off-the rack suit i've ever tried on. The pants are at least 2-inches too big, and are way too long (and super wide at the bottom--WTF!? It's not 2001, bro.). The suit seriously looks like I am wearing my dad's suit jacket (though the sleeves are too short--the bane of my long-armed existence). That's putting it mildly. I'm not sure this thing can be altered as much as it needs to be altered without ruining the windowpane design. TBD, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to make a completely new suit (or if they just offer a redund). I"ll try it on and take a couple pics to show just how poorly it fits. It's pretty funny, actually.
    Good to know. I haven't worn a suit in years, but their ads made me think I should get one for the rare occasion. I think I'll wait for the occasion to occur...

  30. #120
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    17,575

    Default

    Unlike NWC I wear suits a lot when I am not working... I guess it is the people I associate with.

    I get nice, off-the-rack suits all the time from International Suit Warehouse for $300-$500. There is a nice Russian tailor guy (maybe a friend of Drumpf's) there that makes them fit great. If you are in DFW some time go there (the Richardson store) and ask for Frank and tell him that Ted sent you. I don't think his name is really "Frank" but maybe Francesco. He speaks with a pretty strong Italian accent. Frank will call me up when they get something new that he thinks I might like or if they are having a special on some nice suits. I most likely have about 25 suits or sports jackets right now. I need to clean out my closet and buy some new stuff. Their tie selection sucks, however.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •