Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MoTab Christmas Concert starts tomorrow

I had to go as a part of a birthday present for my wife. Traffic was bad but we got in right before the opening number. Osnes's speaking parts were way too Disney princess for me. I don't notice Jarvis being unprepared, he didn't miss a cue or misread any of his parts. As former trombonist I thought the articulation of the trombone feature was sort of sloppy.

I really enjoyed the concert. My wife, the concert pianist and organist, refused to stand after the organ piece because he messed up and because, in her words, she can do that, too. Like Katy, my favorite number was Troika, but I also really enjoyed the Handel section of the concert.
    Not that, sickos.

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't have much to do with the success of the concert but I tried to avoid messing it up. The hardest part was not echoing Laura "laughing all the way." Sam had originally written it in for us to echo that as we did with the rest of Jingle Bells, but after hearing it in rehearsal took it out because we covered the orchestra's laughing effects, which I thought after hearing it was a good choice.

I do still have the mustache, Katy so you did see me (I was on camera during the opening) but then again you didn't (you thought I had shaved). This was my first year and it was very enjoyable. My favorite number was also Troika because it gave me time for a brief nap. Seriously though, Troika was great and I really liked Ryan's new take on Over the River. I was extremely impressed by the organ solo because I cannot do that. As a side, we were scolded for appauding Rick during the solo because the choir mics are always live and it messes with the recording. The hardest part about being in the choir is how often Mack asks us to sound like tenors or baritones. I understand it is physically impossible for him to ask them to sound like basses but I am very fond of the masculine choral sound with a solid bass part.

Maybe I will use a couple of my allotted ticket for a CS lottery next year. Coming up in February is Mahler's 8th with the Utah Symphony, in March will be another Messiah concert, and then the Chorale concert to which I don't know the repertoire yet, in April.

from the resident fat, bald, and mustachioed bass.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Im so glad Copelius can now give us the background on the concert. I am always interested in the goings on behind the scenes.

I went to the Saturday performance- good stuff! I liked the processional and all the operatic stuff + the narration re: Handel was nice. I don't know why everyone stood up for the hallelujah chorus- is that normal? Oh well. I did it out of peer pressure. Also, I had forgotten that my cousin and his wife both sing motab. I wonder if Copelius knows them..
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I went to the Saturday performance- good stuff! I liked the processional and all the operatic stuff + the narration re: Handel was nice. I don't know why everyone stood up for the hallelujah chorus- is that normal? Oh well. I did it out of peer pressure. Also, I had forgotten that my cousin and his wife both sing motab. I wonder if Copelius knows them..
    Legend has it that during a performance of the oratorio in London, King George II arose during the Hallelujah Chorus, having been overwhelmed by emotion/spirit/etc., and, as has always been the custom, when the King stood, everyone had to stand. But it's apparently only legend. Just before Christmas, we attended a performance of the Messiah (NY Philharmonic and Westminster Chorus, the best I've ever heard) which was preceded by a lecture from a music historian. She said she was inclined to believe that King George really was the reason, but that it was only because he came in very late to the performance so people had to stand; it was coincidentally during the Hallelujah Chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Legend has it that during a performance of the oratorio in London, King George II arose during the Hallelujah Chorus, having been overwhelmed by emotion/spirit/etc., and, as has always been the custom, when the King stood, everyone had to stand. But it's apparently only legend. Just before Christmas, we attended a performance of the Messiah (NY Philharmonic and Westminster Chorus, the best I've ever heard) which was preceded by a lecture from a music historian. She said she was inclined to believe that King George really was the reason, but that it was only because he came in very late to the performance so people had to stand; it was coincidentally during the Hallelujah Chorus.
    Good crud PAC, do you need to ruin everything?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Only if they sit next to or near me. I keep to myself. The standing thing for Hallelujah is kind of interesting. When we did it the week before Christmas for MSW they made a point of asking the audience not to stand for recording/live tv purposes. We have a really orchestra heavy program this week in case someone who isn't a normal watcher of MSW is interested.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

this morning my husband and i hit the internet at 10:00am sharp to pick up tickets for the christmas choir this December. web site: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase

Thursday night sold out by 10:11am. Saturday night sold out by 10:12. Friday night sold out by 10:13am.
    I never got any tickets but my husband got a block of 4.

To make sure no one automates their requests, we had to enter in the letters we saw in a picture. Nothing new here, but they used international words. How am I supposed to type in "ringstrasse" with the b?

Awesome!!!!

I'm pretty sure Copelius held a block of tickets back for a CS outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I'm pretty sure Copelius held a block of tickets back for a CS outing.
    All my family got shut out so everybody is turning to me. I will be lucky to get enough for my wife, kids, and parents. I will accumulate as many as I can and if there are extras I will let you all know.

I wonder if anyone else here can say that he performs to sellout crowds in large venues?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I wonder if anyone else here can say that he performs to sellout crowds in large venues?
    define "large."
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    They aren't coming to see me. I am just a very small cog in the overall machine. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the choir, but sometimes I miss the glory days of standing on a stage by myself and bringing the house down.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    All my family got shut out so everybody is turning to me. I will be lucky to get enough for my wife, kids, and parents. I will accumulate as many as I can and if there are extras I will let you all know.
    This new system stinks. My wife started trying at the opening time and wasted 30 minutes trying to get in. They need to go back to the lottery.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This new system stinks. My wife started trying at the opening time and wasted 30 minutes trying to get in. They need to go back to the lottery.
    JL, you are welcome to come over and watch it on BYUtv with me and the family. We will be serving up some tasty, homemade eggnog.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    JL, you are welcome to come over and watch it on BYUtv with me and the family. We will be serving up some tasty, homemade eggnog.
    You serious, Clark?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We get 2 tickets every year, no problem, plus dinner prior to the performance.
    (It helps that my wife is on the KUED board)
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Freakin' hostile and his charmed life.

I have two tickets available. Anyone who wants them post a number between 1-100 on this thread. If two people post the same number, the first to post will win. The person who chooses a number closest to the number I have already chosen up or down will get the tickets. If two people choose numbers equidistant from the number chosen the number below will win. The contest will close at 12:01 pm MST on December 3, 2016, or earlier if someone picks the exact number. I will put them at willcall after receiving the requisite information through PM. The tickets are for Thursday 12/8.
    Last edited by Copelius; 11-26-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Congrats Donuthole. The number was 55. Pm to claim your tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Congrats Donuthole. The number was 55. Pm to claim your tickets.
    Donuthole was unable to claim his prize so they go to the next closest pick, which was chrisrenrut. Please get me the info to be able to submit them to willcall tomorrow.