MoTab Christmas Concert starts tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
    Donuthole was unable to claim his prize so they go to the next closest pick, which was chrisrenrut. Please get me the info to be able to submit them to willcall tomorrow.
    You just made my wife's year! PM sent. Thanks!

Comment

My DVR (Comcast) records BYUTV conference in Spanish. I have no idea why and can't fix it. It records every other channel in English. It records any non-LDS conference BYUTV show in English.

Anyway, I listened to the choir numbers and fast forwarded through the talks, which is a pretty good way to watch it.

oops, nvm, I mixed up meetings here.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        My DVR (Comcast) records BYUTV conference in Spanish. I have no idea why and can't fix it. It records every other channel in English. It records any non-LDS conference BYUTV show in English.

Anyway, I listened to the choir numbers and fast forwarded through the talks, which is a pretty good way to watch it.

oops, nvm, I mixed up meetings here.
        Wexford Carol was my favorite of last night's songs. Should be a fun but busy week. Tonight is my only night off and I have my son's symphony concert.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Wexford Carol was my favorite of last night's songs. Should be a fun but busy week. Tonight is my only night off and I have my son's symphony concert.
          This was nice. Although, the song kept getting interrupted by my mind yelling, "And I've been the good guy!"

https://youtu.be/mbsjd7tRA7M
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
            This was nice. Although, the song kept getting interrupted by my mind yelling, "And I've been the good guy!"

https://youtu.be/mbsjd7tRA7M
            I get the message in the video but it really doesn't fit with the song for me. But that is probably why I am just a face in the crowd and nothing more.

By the way, I wound up with a single extra ticket for Saturday night. I know, not the best deal to go by yourself to a concert, but it's what I have. I have to get any tickets to willcall tonight so I am going to make this simple; first person to claim it gets it.
            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

My Annual MoTab Christmas Concert Review: 2016 (Rolando Villazon)

This year, the program was more subdued. The decoration, the dancing, the arrangements. In fitting with the low key feel, special guest Rolando Villazon took over all hosting duties, welcoming the crowd, performing as the soloist, and doing the narration as well. It took a while for me to get used to his spanish accent, but by the end of the evening he was a long lost uncle, come to stay with the family for Christmas. Dieter and Harriet were there representing the first presidency.

I Saw Three Ships
              I was impressed by the MoTab phrasing on this number, nice and tight. For this concert, the Choir seemed to go away from its lush sound to a modern, fresh feel. More on this later.

Processional: Carol of the Drum
              Three puppet camels came in, and the woman working the head of one of the camels was marvelously talented; it looked as though the camel was fighting her lead and ready to spit. One of the camels sat and then fell over and I wasnt sure if this was planned or an accident.

Then Rolando Villazon comes on and tells a moderately funny joke and by the end of his storytelling the audience was ready to accept his lead on the rest of the evening. He then launches into Deck the Halls in full operative style, which I didn't really like as it didn't seem to fit with the feel of the song. Also, he wasn't technically proficient here, although he firmly established his tenor chops. It was clear the men could sing- I just wondered if he was going to be effective.

Cancion para la Navidad
              This carol has a nice folksy feel, if you listen to the original rendition by composer Jose Luis Perales on youtube, you realize that Mack Wilberg has to rein in the MoTab to get the same feel. He has to take all 360 voices and dial them back close to zero, but still get them to enunciate clearly and powerfully. Controlled power is needed, and Mack's arrangement was successful at this, resulting in a sweet carol. Last year I complained that all of Mack's arrangements were starting to sound the same: intro, chorus, chord change, swelling to a lush and overpowering climax. Well, this year I get to eat my hat, as this was as restrained and fresh and modern as I've ever heard a Mack Wilberg choir. More on this later.

Three Alleluias
              This suite of 3 songs featuring the lyric "alleluia" consisted of the forgettable How excellent Thy Name and Alleluia, by Handel, followed by Baroque composer Giulio Caccini's Alleluia chorus. Even though this Wilberg arrangement was performed back in 2014, and has been recorded on the Men of the MoTab album, I have never heard it before. Simply and truly divine. Gorgeous blending of voice and orchestra. This is where Mack is recognized as a genius. You cannot sit through this performance and not cry. You cannot hear this and not feel the Lord very close by.

To show how beautiful the Wilberg arrangement is, here is a standard organ recital of the song-- you need only listen a minute or so to get the feel of the music.

(continues on next post)

Comment

And here is the MoTab performance. Not only hauntingly beautiful, but you need a world class choir to perform it:

I really feel that hundreds of years from now, this arrangement will still be played and appreciated.

(post continues)
                Last edited by Katy Lied; 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Tickets for the MoTab Christmas concert are up for sale (free!) starting in 40 minutes at 10am MDT. They will sell out in 5 minutes. I recommend everyone in your household try on a separate computer.

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase
                  Last edited by Katy Lied; 10-21-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    Tickets for the MoTab Christmas concert are up for sale (free!) starting in 40 minutes at 10am MDT. They will sell out in 5 minutes. I recommend everyone in your household try on a separate computer.

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase
                    Already have mine
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Yeah, it was a NO-GO at the Diddley household. Kept getting errors and then sold out. So unless Copelius has some extras, we'll just try again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        Yeah, it was a NO-GO at the Diddley household. Kept getting errors and then sold out. So unless Copelius has some extras, we'll just try again next year.
                        I owe Katy 2 from my flake out at the pioneer day concert, so no contest this year.

Comment

This year was Ye Olde Programme Lighte, from the song selection to the guests. More playful than normal. It was a nice change, and now I'll be able to claim that I too, have sung with the MoTab. (There was a singalong audience portion)

I saw Copelius in glorious high def on the big screen at the very start of the program.

This guy was a good storyteller,

But this guy would have been 10x better

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            This year was Ye Olde Programme Lighte, from the song selection to the guests. More playful than normal. It was a nice change, and now I'll be able to claim that I too, have sung with the MoTab. (There was a singalong audience portion)

I saw Copelius in glorious high def on the big screen at the very start of the program.

This guy was a good storyteller,

But this guy would have been 10x better
                            As big as the conference center is, those eyebrows may not have fit. I enjoyed this show more than last year, but they're all pretty fun. On to Messiah in March.

Comment

As big as the conference center is, those eyebrows may not have fit. I enjoyed this show more than last year, but they're all pretty fun. On to Messiah in March.
                              Buddy, you are no good to us if you can't score us all Christmas concert tix!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Buddy, you are no good to us if you can't score us all Christmas concert tix!
                                I guess I am no good. Christmas, as you may imagine is pretty limited, but I think I managed to get them to some people that really needed them this year. My familyt even sacrificed to allow some people to go who we felt needed the tickets.

But I can get tickets more plentifully to the Pioneer Day Concert. No guarantee to everyone, but should be a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X