Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MoTab Christmas Concert starts tomorrow

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Donuthole was unable to claim his prize so they go to the next closest pick, which was chrisrenrut. Please get me the info to be able to submit them to willcall tomorrow.
    You just made my wife's year! PM sent. Thanks!

My DVR (Comcast) records BYUTV conference in Spanish. I have no idea why and can't fix it. It records every other channel in English. It records any non-LDS conference BYUTV show in English.

Anyway, I listened to the choir numbers and fast forwarded through the talks, which is a pretty good way to watch it.

oops, nvm, I mixed up meetings here.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    My DVR (Comcast) records BYUTV conference in Spanish. I have no idea why and can't fix it. It records every other channel in English. It records any non-LDS conference BYUTV show in English.

Anyway, I listened to the choir numbers and fast forwarded through the talks, which is a pretty good way to watch it.

oops, nvm, I mixed up meetings here.
    Wexford Carol was my favorite of last night's songs. Should be a fun but busy week. Tonight is my only night off and I have my son's symphony concert.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

Wexford Carol was my favorite of last night's songs. Should be a fun but busy week. Tonight is my only night off and I have my son's symphony concert.
    This was nice. Although, the song kept getting interrupted by my mind yelling, "And I've been the good guy!"

https://youtu.be/mbsjd7tRA7M
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    This was nice. Although, the song kept getting interrupted by my mind yelling, "And I've been the good guy!"

https://youtu.be/mbsjd7tRA7M
    I get the message in the video but it really doesn't fit with the song for me. But that is probably why I am just a face in the crowd and nothing more.

By the way, I wound up with a single extra ticket for Saturday night. I know, not the best deal to go by yourself to a concert, but it's what I have. I have to get any tickets to willcall tonight so I am going to make this simple; first person to claim it gets it.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

My Annual MoTab Christmas Concert Review: 2016 (Rolando Villazon)

This year, the program was more subdued. The decoration, the dancing, the arrangements. In fitting with the low key feel, special guest Rolando Villazon took over all hosting duties, welcoming the crowd, performing as the soloist, and doing the narration as well. It took a while for me to get used to his spanish accent, but by the end of the evening he was a long lost uncle, come to stay with the family for Christmas. Dieter and Harriet were there representing the first presidency.

I Saw Three Ships
    I was impressed by the MoTab phrasing on this number, nice and tight. For this concert, the Choir seemed to go away from its lush sound to a modern, fresh feel. More on this later.

Processional: Carol of the Drum
    Three puppet camels came in, and the woman working the head of one of the camels was marvelously talented; it looked as though the camel was fighting her lead and ready to spit. One of the camels sat and then fell over and I wasnt sure if this was planned or an accident.

Then Rolando Villazon comes on and tells a moderately funny joke and by the end of his storytelling the audience was ready to accept his lead on the rest of the evening. He then launches into Deck the Halls in full operative style, which I didn't really like as it didn't seem to fit with the feel of the song. Also, he wasn't technically proficient here, although he firmly established his tenor chops. It was clear the men could sing- I just wondered if he was going to be effective.

Cancion para la Navidad
    This carol has a nice folksy feel, if you listen to the original rendition by composer Jose Luis Perales on youtube, you realize that Mack Wilberg has to rein in the MoTab to get the same feel. He has to take all 360 voices and dial them back close to zero, but still get them to enunciate clearly and powerfully. Controlled power is needed, and Mack's arrangement was successful at this, resulting in a sweet carol. Last year I complained that all of Mack's arrangements were starting to sound the same: intro, chorus, chord change, swelling to a lush and overpowering climax. Well, this year I get to eat my hat, as this was as restrained and fresh and modern as I've ever heard a Mack Wilberg choir. More on this later.

Three Alleluias
    This suite of 3 songs featuring the lyric "alleluia" consisted of the forgettable How excellent Thy Name and Alleluia, by Handel, followed by Baroque composer Giulio Caccini's Alleluia chorus. Even though this Wilberg arrangement was performed back in 2014, and has been recorded on the Men of the MoTab album, I have never heard it before. Simply and truly divine. Gorgeous blending of voice and orchestra. This is where Mack is recognized as a genius. You cannot sit through this performance and not cry. You cannot hear this and not feel the Lord very close by.

To show how beautiful the Wilberg arrangement is, here is a standard organ recital of the song-- you need only listen a minute or so to get the feel of the music.

(continues on next post)

And here is the MoTab performance. Not only hauntingly beautiful, but you need a world class choir to perform it:

I really feel that hundreds of years from now, this arrangement will still be played and appreciated.

(post continues)
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 12-10-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Tickets for the MoTab Christmas concert are up for sale (free!) starting in 40 minutes at 10am MDT. They will sell out in 5 minutes. I recommend everyone in your household try on a separate computer.

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 10-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Tickets for the MoTab Christmas concert are up for sale (free!) starting in 40 minutes at 10am MDT. They will sell out in 5 minutes. I recommend everyone in your household try on a separate computer.

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase
    Already have mine
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Yeah, it was a NO-GO at the Diddley household. Kept getting errors and then sold out. So unless Copelius has some extras, we'll just try again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Yeah, it was a NO-GO at the Diddley household. Kept getting errors and then sold out. So unless Copelius has some extras, we'll just try again next year.
    I owe Katy 2 from my flake out at the pioneer day concert, so no contest this year.

This year was Ye Olde Programme Lighte, from the song selection to the guests. More playful than normal. It was a nice change, and now I'll be able to claim that I too, have sung with the MoTab. (There was a singalong audience portion)

I saw Copelius in glorious high def on the big screen at the very start of the program.

This guy was a good storyteller,

But this guy would have been 10x better

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This year was Ye Olde Programme Lighte, from the song selection to the guests. More playful than normal. It was a nice change, and now I'll be able to claim that I too, have sung with the MoTab. (There was a singalong audience portion)

I saw Copelius in glorious high def on the big screen at the very start of the program.

This guy was a good storyteller,

But this guy would have been 10x better
    As big as the conference center is, those eyebrows may not have fit. I enjoyed this show more than last year, but they're all pretty fun. On to Messiah in March.

As big as the conference center is, those eyebrows may not have fit. I enjoyed this show more than last year, but they're all pretty fun. On to Messiah in March.
    Buddy, you are no good to us if you can't score us all Christmas concert tix!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Buddy, you are no good to us if you can't score us all Christmas concert tix!
    I guess I am no good. Christmas, as you may imagine is pretty limited, but I think I managed to get them to some people that really needed them this year. My familyt even sacrificed to allow some people to go who we felt needed the tickets.

But I can get tickets more plentifully to the Pioneer Day Concert. No guarantee to everyone, but should be a few.

This is the best thread I can think of to put this post.

I went to the Be One celebration last week, to commemorate the 40th year of the revelation on the priesthood. I was surprised to see almost all, if not all, of the Q12 there, and each member of the First Presidency participated, this must have had very significant meaning to all of them. Pres. Eyring conducted, and Pres. Oaks gave the introductory speech, talking about the day he heard the revelation back in June 1978. It felt like Pres. Oaks gave the historical recitation to make sure that not even a jot or tittle of an apology slipped though, although none of those old-school justifications in defense of the ban slipped through either.

After Oaks' remarks, the program was turned over to Gladys, who has long complained that Mormon congregations have boring musical worship. She was called to her position by The Brethren, and I know she got her way at least a little bit when, prior to the singing, Elder Oaks actually announced that during the subsequent music program, the audience was expected to clap and sing and applaud. Attending Mormons turned to each other befuddled, but visitors arrayed in daishikis and dhukus nodded in agreement, as if this were the most natural thing in the world.

The first song by Gladys Knight's Unification Choir was breathtaking. Think of a rollicking traditional black choir, complete with bass, electric piano, drums, and guitar. Now add the power of all those voices in the choir loft, combined with the acoustics of the Conference Center, and the song was thrilling. Then Gladys came on and sang "Someday" from West Side Story, backed by the choir, and she has not. lost. one. iota of her vocal beauty and power.

I didn't like the first 10 minutes of dancing, but when they started telling the stories of those first black american and african converts, joining the church with no assurance that they would ever have the blessings of the priesthood and temple, it was a tearjerker. Then we find our that the narrators who were telling the stories of these black pioneers were their descendants; grandson, niece, daughter, etc. Anyone not already crying just lost it.

The thing I liked the best was that members got used to clapping and praising. They started standing for rousing applause over and over, and then cheering and shouts of "amen." Lots and lots of audience applause. Then, at the end of the musical program, President Nelson got up to speak. Significantly, the Conference Center was set up for the performance, so when the prophet got up to give his concluding remarks, he only had a stand microphone to speak with. No podium to stand behind, no physical barrier between him and the audience. It felt different, he felt closer to the people. Then, as he spoke, the audience continued with their applause and with shouts of "amen" and cheers at what he was saying. When the first applause broke out, about a minute into his remarks, I think it startled him a little, but he just swung with it and even started pausing for applause as he got used to it. (I could see the teleprompter operator had to pause his remarks quite a bit.)

Then he started reciting how the membership in African countries had tripled since the Revelation, and people rocked out, especially when President Nelson started listing all of the temples we have in Africa. Even when he got to more solemn topics, everyone clapped madly. I joined in clapping and whooping and my husband raised an eyebrow at me. I told him, "Well, when will I ever have the chance to rock out to applaud the prophet ever again? Not in my lifetime!" And when the President Nelson slowed down very slow to end his remarks with "... in the name of Jesus Christ..." and 10,000 voices joined him in saying his Amen. It was pretty joyous. I want that feeling back already.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 06-04-2018 at 01:05 PM.

that's pretty crazy, katy. thanks for sharing.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Thanks for the write-up, KL. It looks like LDS.org will be streaming it on demand fairly soon. I'm interested in tuning in.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The Be One Celebration is now available online.

One my wife's riding pals (Sandy) flew to SLC a day or so before the celebration, and after getting on the plane in Oakland, a woman sat down next to her and struck up a conversation that didn't end until they got off the plane in SLC. When they shared that they each had a 23-year-old son, Sandy asked what the other woman's son did for a living. "He's a professional athlete." Pressed for details, the woman said he plays in the NBA. Sandy said she follows the NBA pretty closely and asked who her son was.... His name is "Jabari" was the reply.

Sister Parker was going to SLC to meet up with Jabari who was, in turn, meeting with Elder Oaks to assist with some celebration-related activities, and for future events that weren't disclosed. She also gave Sandy two extra tickets she had for the celebration. BTW, Jabari's mom now lives just a few miles north of creekster. Unclear if they hang out together.