No announcement yet.

MoTab Christmas Concert starts tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to go as a part of a birthday present for my wife. Traffic was bad but we got in right before the opening number. Osnes's speaking parts were way too Disney princess for me. I don't notice Jarvis being unprepared, he didn't miss a cue or misread any of his parts. As former trombonist I thought the articulation of the trombone feature was sort of sloppy.

Comment

I really enjoyed the concert. My wife, the concert pianist and organist, refused to stand after the organ piece because he messed up and because, in her words, she can do that, too. Like Katy, my favorite number was Troika, but I also really enjoyed the Handel section of the concert.
      Not that, sickos.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't have much to do with the success of the concert but I tried to avoid messing it up. The hardest part was not echoing Laura "laughing all the way." Sam had originally written it in for us to echo that as we did with the rest of Jingle Bells, but after hearing it in rehearsal took it out because we covered the orchestra's laughing effects, which I thought after hearing it was a good choice.

I do still have the mustache, Katy so you did see me (I was on camera during the opening) but then again you didn't (you thought I had shaved). This was my first year and it was very enjoyable. My favorite number was also Troika because it gave me time for a brief nap. Seriously though, Troika was great and I really liked Ryan's new take on Over the River. I was extremely impressed by the organ solo because I cannot do that. As a side, we were scolded for appauding Rick during the solo because the choir mics are always live and it messes with the recording. The hardest part about being in the choir is how often Mack asks us to sound like tenors or baritones. I understand it is physically impossible for him to ask them to sound like basses but I am very fond of the masculine choral sound with a solid bass part.

Maybe I will use a couple of my allotted ticket for a CS lottery next year. Coming up in February is Mahler's 8th with the Utah Symphony, in March will be another Messiah concert, and then the Chorale concert to which I don't know the repertoire yet, in April.

from the resident fat, bald, and mustachioed bass.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Im so glad Copelius can now give us the background on the concert. I am always interested in the goings on behind the scenes.

Comment

I went to the Saturday performance- good stuff! I liked the processional and all the operatic stuff + the narration re: Handel was nice. I don't know why everyone stood up for the hallelujah chorus- is that normal? Oh well. I did it out of peer pressure. Also, I had forgotten that my cousin and his wife both sing motab. I wonder if Copelius knows them..
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              I went to the Saturday performance- good stuff! I liked the processional and all the operatic stuff + the narration re: Handel was nice. I don't know why everyone stood up for the hallelujah chorus- is that normal? Oh well. I did it out of peer pressure. Also, I had forgotten that my cousin and his wife both sing motab. I wonder if Copelius knows them..
              Legend has it that during a performance of the oratorio in London, King George II arose during the Hallelujah Chorus, having been overwhelmed by emotion/spirit/etc., and, as has always been the custom, when the King stood, everyone had to stand. But it's apparently only legend. Just before Christmas, we attended a performance of the Messiah (NY Philharmonic and Westminster Chorus, the best I've ever heard) which was preceded by a lecture from a music historian. She said she was inclined to believe that King George really was the reason, but that it was only because he came in very late to the performance so people had to stand; it was coincidentally during the Hallelujah Chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Legend has it that during a performance of the oratorio in London, King George II arose during the Hallelujah Chorus, having been overwhelmed by emotion/spirit/etc., and, as has always been the custom, when the King stood, everyone had to stand. But it's apparently only legend. Just before Christmas, we attended a performance of the Messiah (NY Philharmonic and Westminster Chorus, the best I've ever heard) which was preceded by a lecture from a music historian. She said she was inclined to believe that King George really was the reason, but that it was only because he came in very late to the performance so people had to stand; it was coincidentally during the Hallelujah Chorus.
                Good crud PAC, do you need to ruin everything?
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Only if they sit next to or near me. I keep to myself. The standing thing for Hallelujah is kind of interesting. When we did it the week before Christmas for MSW they made a point of asking the audience not to stand for recording/live tv purposes. We have a really orchestra heavy program this week in case someone who isn't a normal watcher of MSW is interested.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

this morning my husband and i hit the internet at 10:00am sharp to pick up tickets for the christmas choir this December. web site: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase

Thursday night sold out by 10:11am. Saturday night sold out by 10:12. Friday night sold out by 10:13am.
                    I never got any tickets but my husband got a block of 4.

To make sure no one automates their requests, we had to enter in the letters we saw in a picture. Nothing new here, but they used international words. How am I supposed to type in "ringstrasse" with the b?

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure Copelius held a block of tickets back for a CS outing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          I'm pretty sure Copelius held a block of tickets back for a CS outing.
                          All my family got shut out so everybody is turning to me. I will be lucky to get enough for my wife, kids, and parents. I will accumulate as many as I can and if there are extras I will let you all know.

Comment

I wonder if anyone else here can say that he performs to sellout crowds in large venues?

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              I wonder if anyone else here can say that he performs to sellout crowds in large venues?
                              define "large."
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                They aren't coming to see me. I am just a very small cog in the overall machine. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the choir, but sometimes I miss the glory days of standing on a stage by myself and bringing the house down.

Comment

Working...
                                X