Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1317

Thread: Coaching Rumors

  1. #1261
    I like to dance! SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    I'm hoping for a duo or Steve Clark and Paul Peterson. Clark was, after all, the only coach in Utah who got a QB to the NFL combine this year.
    Actually, my first choice would be Dennis Simmons and Steve Clark, but I don't think Simmons can be pried from WSU.

    Okay, my real first choice would be John Gruden and Terry Robiskie. But if we're talking about the pool reasonably available to BYU, I'd be happy with Steve Clark and Paul Peterson.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  2. #1262
    Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    11,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I have absolutely no ill-will for Doman and I wish him well. He seems like a very good man. That said, I want him nowhere near the offense.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

  3. #1263
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
    Do you know what part of Ammon? I grew up in Ammon and still have family there. I left as soon as I graduated from Bonneville High.
    Wow. Two people from Ammon in the same place? That doesn't happen very often. My dad grew up on Ammon Road and his parents live there until they sold all their land in the late 90s to build 400 houses in the fields I explored as a kid.

  4. #1264
    Senior Member OSUCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Largo, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Nice try at changing the subject. I don't blame you for not wanting to talk about the rift between the Murphys and BYU.
    I'm interested. Please share.

  5. #1265
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    Fellas, it ain't gonna happen:

    @TyDetmer14 But we love you out here just the same. One day maybe. All i'll say is that will be a blessed day for cougar nation.Your awesome



    Ty Detmer
    ‏@TyDetmer14
    @Cougarblitz84 thanks Aaron! Not gonna happen this year. Never say never though. Ha
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  6. #1266

    Default

    Dang, was hoping he would take the job.

    I still think we should hire back Cahoon.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

  7. #1267
    Beloved ALUF LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    19,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUCougar View Post
    I'm interested. Please share.
    I don't know anything, was just joking. I'm sure there are stories, though.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  8. #1268
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Caught Beneath the Landslide
    Posts
    7,630

    Default

    This place...which has some kind of connection to Utah sports, has a rumor of Dan Hawkins coming to Utah to mentor Brian Johnson and be the Co-OC

    https://twitter.com/TaxiSquadShow
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  9. #1269
    Member Sans Gravitas Donuthole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    This place...which has some kind of connection to Utah sports, has a rumor of Dan Hawkins coming to Utah to mentor Brian Johnson and be the Co-OC

    https://twitter.com/TaxiSquadShow
    BJ could use a mentor. After all, it's Division 1 football.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  10. #1270
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Caught Beneath the Landslide
    Posts
    7,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    BJ could use a mentor. After all, it's Division 1 football.
    Go play intramurals brother!
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  11. #1271
    Handsome Boy Graduate mpfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    This place...which has some kind of connection to Utah sports, has a rumor of Dan Hawkins coming to Utah to mentor Brian Johnson and be the Co-OC

    https://twitter.com/TaxiSquadShow
    Too good to believe.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "But luckily the two had time to play catch-up while Marian Hossa was celebrating his second Stanley Cup in three seasons and Chara was contemplating how he was spun around like an eight-foot dreidel by Patrick Kane all series."
    --Puck Daddy

  12. #1272
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    There can only be one reason it's taken BYU this long to announce their QB coach: they are still working on getting Detmer. If they were interested in anyone else (Peterson, Beck, et al), they would have landed them by now. That's not to say I'm predicting it WILL end up being Detmer, but I think that's why it's taking so long.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  13. #1273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    There can only be one reason it's taken BYU this long to announce their QB coach: they are still working on getting Detmer. If they were interested in anyone else (Peterson, Beck, et al), they would have landed them by now. That's not to say I'm predicting it WILL end up being Detmer, but I think that's why it's taking so long.
    There can be at least one other reason: Anae doesn't think the others are good options, so he is holding out. As I understand it Beck was not a big fan of Anae, but I don't know if it goes the other direction. Is Beck looking for the job?

  14. #1274
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    There can be at least one other reason: Anae doesn't think the others are good options, so he is holding out. As I understand it Beck was not a big fan of Anae, but I don't know if it goes the other direction. Is Beck looking for the job?
    It's Jason Beck, not John.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  15. #1275

    Default

    Some names for Utah's QB coach and OC position. At least Utah is looking outside of BYU and former players.

    Dan Hawkins
    Mike Schultz
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  16. #1276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    It's Jason Beck, not John.
    Really? What about Max Hall, is he out? Does Jason have coaching experience now? I'm certainly not excited about either one of those two.

  17. #1277
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Really? What about Max Hall, is he out? Does Jason have coaching experience now? I'm certainly not excited about either one of those two.
    I think Hall is on the list, but he has the least experience of anyone on the list.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  18. #1278
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    DH was on the radio yesterday, convinced that BYU is continuing to make a run at Detmer.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  19. #1279
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    DH was on the radio yesterday, convinced that BYU is continuing to make a run at Detmer.
    Maybe this was answered earlier but what is going on with Doman? Has there been an official announcement from BYU?
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  20. #1280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Maybe this was answered earlier but what is going on with Doman? Has there been an official announcement from BYU?
    At the signing day luncheon, Bronco said about 10 days prior they agreed to part ways.
    *Banned*

  21. #1281
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    At the signing day luncheon, Bronco said about 10 days prior they agreed to part ways.
    Thanks
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  22. #1282
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    DH was on the radio yesterday, convinced that BYU is continuing to make a run at Detmer.
    I doubt they are pushing hard because of his great coaching ability. The push is to gather more PR goodwill. They have mine right now, but I know quite a few who are still unconvinced.

  23. #1283
    I like to dance! SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I doubt they are pushing hard because of his great coaching ability. The push is to gather more PR goodwill. They have mine right now, but I know quite a few who are still unconvinced.
    Well, he may also understand the game and the position better than anyone who's ever played or coached at BYU. I'm sure that has something to do with the continued push.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  24. #1284
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Well, he may also understand the game and the position better than anyone who's ever played or coached at BYU. I'm sure that has something to do with the continued push.
    It is one thing to understand it and another thing to coach it. That said, you are probably right. I heard the reason Detmer lasted so lond in the NFL was because of his ability to tutor the younger QB's.

  25. #1285
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Well, he may also understand the game and the position better than anyone who's ever played or coached at BYU. I'm sure that has something to do with the continued push.
    Is he part of the school of QB coaching where (like Doman) he understands the mental aspect to quarterbacking, or does he also possess a mastery of teaching the physical fundamentals?

    Anecdotal evidence deals almost exclusively with the former and not so much about the latter.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  26. #1286

    Default

    Sounds like Jason Beck is coming to coach the QBs

  27. #1287

    Default

    Wow...way to knock that hire out of the park BYU....


    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Sounds like Jason Beck is coming to coach the QBs
    If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

  28. #1288
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    20,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COUGZ View Post
    Wow...way to knock that hire out of the park BYU....
    Where's he been since he was a grad assistant at LSU?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  29. #1289
    Living in the Past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The bubble
    Posts
    6,575

    Default Re: Coaching Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by COUGZ View Post
    Wow...way to knock that hire out of the park BYU....
    You can see why it took so long. Those negotiations must have been intense.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

  30. #1290

    Default

    Certainly not a sexy pick to go with Jason Beck as QBC. However, I think we should give him the benifit of the doubt. He may be a great coach!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •