Coaching Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UtahJazzFan88 View Post
    Sucks that Pat Hill got ousted, still a good coach in my opinion. From what some Fresno State experts on Scout said, that the California budget for all the schools really effected Fresno State facility and recruiting wise. Fresno State was the Boise State of college football until 2002 and beat a bunch of AQ schools, had a lot of success, until Boise State came into Fresno and roughed them up.

I really like June Jones as the hire for ASU, great coaches in the PAC-12 South if so. Turned around SMU pretty fast.
    Actually, Fresno State was nowhere near the Boise State/Utah/TCU of college football before 2002.

Sure, they played a lot of AQ schools and kept the games close, but they rarely won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      Actually, Fresno State was nowhere near the Boise State/Utah/TCU of college football before 2002.

Sure, they played a lot of AQ schools and kept the games close, but they rarely won.
      They had similarities to those other ones without the BCS bowl wins is what I meant, they did have some big AQ wins against ranked Colorado, Wisconsin, and Oregon State in 2001. There was a buzz around Fresno State back then, having David Carr did help that as well.

Anyways, point is that the program isn't even near what Hawaii or Nevada has been lately, let alone Boise State. But I'm not sure it's on fully on Hill.

Comment

• Former Northwestern and CU coach Gary Barnett rumored to be interested in the CSU job.
        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

They had similarities to those other ones without the BCS bowl wins is what I meant, they did have some big AQ wins against ranked Colorado, Wisconsin, and Oregon State in 2001. There was a buzz around Fresno State back then, having David Carr did help that as well.

Anyways, point is that the program isn't even near what Hawaii or Nevada has been lately, let alone Boise State. But I'm not sure it's on fully on Hill.
          Pat Hill is a good coach, really hope he gets another opportunity somewhere with a program that has better infrastructure to win. If so, I believe he will be more successful. I was impressed by Fresno St. when they came into Lincoln and played well against Nebraska with Carr's younger brother (Derek) under center. Fresno St. also played well against Cal and Ole Miss. The Bulldogs went 3-4 in the WAC and all their conference losses were within a TD except Louisiana Tech who won the WAC. Although they did get beat badly by Boise St, they were a much better team than their 4-9 record indicates.

The same could be said about Sherman and Texas A&M. The Aggies went 6-6 and all their losses were within a TD (including 2 OT losses and 1 last second FG) except when they lost to OU in Norman.

College football can be a tough business.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Howard Schnellenberger of Miami (1983 MNC) fame and former Louisville HC retired from coaching. He was HC at Florida Atlantic. Former Nebraska DC Carl Pelini (brother of Nebraska HC Bo Pelini) will be the new HC at Florida Atlantic.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
              Pat Hill is a good coach, really hope he gets another opportunity somewhere with a program that has better infrastructure to win. If so, I believe he will be more successful. I was impressed by Fresno St. when they came into Lincoln and played well against Nebraska with Carr's younger brother (Derek) under center. Fresno St. also played well against Cal and Ole Miss. The Bulldogs went 3-4 in the WAC and all their conference losses were within a TD except Louisiana Tech who won the WAC. Although they did get beat badly by Boise St, they were a much better team than their 4-9 record indicates.

The same could be said about Sherman and Texas A&M. The Aggies went 6-6 and all their losses were within a TD (including 2 OT losses and 1 last second FG) except when they lost to OU in Norman.

College football can be a tough business.

However aTm seems to pull this off every season. The go 6-0 and then hit conference play and fall apart.. I don't see that changing in the SEC.. Probably going to get worse..

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                However aTm seems to pull this off every season. The go 6-0 and then hit conference play and fall apart.. I don't see that changing in the SEC.. Probably going to get worse..
                Agree that Texas A&M will have greater challenges next year in the SEC. Don't understand how the Aggies think they will be better off with a new HC. Perhaps they get the next Urban Meyer. But you're being too generous to Texas A&M; the Aggies fall apart much ealier than 6 games in (more like 3 games in). Got to go back to 1994 for the last time Texas A&M started out 6-0. Here's a quick summary of Texas A&M in the new millennium:

Texas A&M football records

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  Agree that Texas A&M will have greater challenges next year in the SEC. Don't understand how the Aggies think they will be better off with a new HC. Perhaps they get the next Urban Meyer. But you're being too generous to Texas A&M; the Aggies fall apart much ealier than 6 games in (more like 3 games in). Got to go back to 1994 for the last time Texas A&M started out 6-0. Here's a quick summary of Texas A&M in the new millennium:

Texas A&M football records
                  Yeah. I figured. Just didn't feel like looking it up.. Thanks though!!!

Comment

• Texas A&M is the definition of underachievers (just like Arizona State). They have the fan base, facilities, stadium, pretty well known nationally, and they're always stuck in mediocrity at 6-6 to 8-4 seasons every year.

Comment

Texas A&M is the definition of underachievers (just like Arizona State). They have the fan base, facilities, stadium, pretty well known nationally, and they're always stuck in mediocrity at 6-6 to 8-4 seasons every year.
                      They have great fans. When Utah played aTm in 2004 I rode up to the stadium with a Trax car full of Aggie fans. They were all passionate and classy, decked out in aTm gear. It was actually fun to hang out with them.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• The Vest spotted in Westwood. That would be a great hire for the ruins.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          They have great fans. When Utah played aTm in 2004 I rode up to the stadium with a Trax car full of Aggie fans. They were all passionate and classy, decked out in aTm gear. It was actually fun to hang out with them.
                          I think your threshold is too low.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Rumors that Whittingham has or will interview with Texas A&M.

Comment

• I can't speak for anyone else, but the one sentiment I heard over and over while in Austin was, "y'all are so much better than A&M fans, we can't wait until their gone and BYU is in the Big 12"

Kyle Stadium, is one of my bucket list destinations. A&M seems likes a great landing spot right now, even though they will likely struggle to be bowl eligible in the SEC, a coach like Kyle might be able to turn things around.

Comment

• Kyle's style of coaching (defensive minded) would fit well for Texas A&M in the SEC.

Comment

Working...
                                X