Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could No One Be Elected to Baseball HOF this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    How do you not vote for Blyleven and how can you vote for Morris. My ballot is Blyleven and nobody else.
    Morris was always the better pitcher. His epic runs against the Braves in 1991 and again in 1992 gained my eternal respect. He was tough as nails, and had a far far better record than Blyleven.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
      Blyleven and Alomar are in no question.
      Alomar? He spat in an umpire's face and never apologized! No way.

Alomar has the same stats as Julio Franco, who I love, but don't think belongs in the HOF.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

How do you not vote for Blyleven and how can you vote for Morris. My ballot is Blyleven and nobody else.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
        My ADR agrees
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Alomar? He spat in an umpire's face and never apologized! No way.
          If only it were a nice guy's club... There goes Ted Williams! There goes Ty Cobb! There goes Reggie Jackson!
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            If only it were a nice guy's club... There goes Ted Williams! There goes Ty Cobb! There goes Reggie Jackson!
            Yeah, but do you think Julio Franco belongs in the Hall? Compare their stats! It's the old Puckett vs. Mattingly debate.

Why does one get in when the other has almost the same stats?

Oh yeah, there goes Pete Rose!

Comment

I'd disagree on Gonzalez and Canseco over the 500 homerun threshold, while acknowledging that I'm killing Murphy in the process.
              Juan Gone is a 2 time MVP and when he was in his prime he played on the same team as Palmeiro teams would walk him to get to Raffy.
              *Banned*

Comment

< 400 smacks.

Not a chance he's a HOF'er. Isn't his number retired? That's about the extent it should go.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  Juan Gone is a 2 time MVP and when he was in his prime he played on the same team as Palmeiro teams would walk him to get to Raffy.
                  I'm not denying his awesomeness in his solid years. But, the end totals don't measure up. I'm a total hypocrite with Murphy, I know.

Comment

I'm not denying his awesomeness in his solid years. But, the end totals don't measure up. I'm a total hypocrite with Murphy, I know.
                    Look at you two play nice, its cute!

Comment

Morris was always the better pitcher. His epic runs against the Braves in 1991 and again in 1992 gained my eternal respect. He was tough as nails, and had a far far better record than Blyleven.
                      He was never the better pitcher. The only thing that Morris has on Blyleven is wins that is it, nothing else. This basically means that Morris had better run support, not sure that having better run support should justify him making it in the hall.

Bert Blyleven's career stats:
                      ERA+ 118
                      ERA: 3.31
                      K: 3701
                      BB: 1322
                      WHIP: 1.198
                      Career WAR: 90.1
                      IP: 4970

Jack Morris
                      ERA+ 105
                      ERA: 3.90
                      K: 2478
                      BB: 1390
                      WHIP: 1.296
                      Career WAR: 39.3
                      IP: 3824

Jack Morris as a better pitcher is an indefensible position, unless you really think that Morris is responsible for his team scoring more runs.

Blyleven struck out more batters, walked fewer batters, had a better ERA, better WHIP, and 51 more Wins Above Replacement player than Morris.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

He was never the better pitcher. The only thing that Morris has on Blyleven is wins that is it, nothing else. This basically means that Morris had better run support, not sure that having better run support should justify him making it in the hall.

ERA+ 118

Jack Morris
                        ERA+ 105

Jack Morris as a better pitcher is an indefensible position, unless you really think that Morris is responsible for his team scoring more runs.

Blyleven struck out more batters, walked fewer batters, had a better ERA, better WHIP, and 51 more Wins Above Replacement player than Morris.
                        I'm in total 100 percent agreement with Funk on this, and he knows I'll crush him on areas in which we disagree. But anyone who puts Jack Morris ahead of Blyleven is a stone-cold fool. Morris is deserving, no doubt, but not ahead of The Flying Dutchman.

You had three pitches (emphasis: pitches, not pitchers) in the 1970-80s: Steve Carlton's slider, Bruce Sutter's split-finger and Blyleven's yakker. I don't even put Ryan's heater in here because he was so wild with it at times, and didn't harness that pitch until he got to the National League. Carlton and Sutter were exclusively NL guys in their primes, but Blyleven made hitters in both leagues look silly. And he was often on some dreadful teams -- no other player in MLB history hit the small-market trifecta like Bert did with Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

On a statistical note, Blyleven has 60 career shutouts. (In less than 20 years, we'll start inducting guys who don't have 60 career complete games, but that's another topic). That is good for NINTH all-time. All eight players ahead of Blyleven are in the HOF, as well 14 of the next 15 players below him on that list. Exactly one-quarter of those 60 shutouts were 1-0 games. Only Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson have more, and they both had no worse than a significant chunk of their careers in the dead-ball era. How a bunch of stat-crazy geeks like the BBWAA has managed to overlook Blyleven all of these years is beyond a mystery. It puts the credibility of not only the entire voting process, but the BBHOF itself, into question.
                        Last edited by Top Ute; 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff among first-timers on Hall of Fame ballot - ESPN

While I think Mattingly and Murphy belong, I don't think anyone will get elected this year.
                          Blyleven and Alomar are locks for induction. Both were less than 10 votes from being inducted last year, and no player that close to induction has ever been denied induction. Also, George Steinbrenner will be inducted by the Veterans Committee. It would be entirely fitting for Marvin Miller to go in to the HOF as The Boss as well.

Three inductees, maybe four.

Comment

ERA+ 118

Jack Morris
                            ERA+ 105

I did mention that Jack Morris was a big game Braves killer, right? I find myself incapable of not giving, perhaps undue, weight to people on the Braves/who shredded the Braves. Jack Morris pitched 11 innings for the win (I'm still not speaking to Lonnie Smith).

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jeff Bagwell. I think he's just as if not more qualified than Don Mattingly. Frankly, I think neither should make it.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I recognize your proficiency in stats, but I disagree. He was one of only two people to hit 20 or more homers every year from 82-90. He was one of the premier talents of the 80's. Are Schmidt, Ripken, Brett, Molitor, and Rice to be the only HOFers from that decade? His off-the-field contributions make him more than qualified.
                                How about Yount, Boggs and Dawson. You're missing a few guys.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X