No announcement yet.

The "defend your fandom" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Both parents attended BYU and are fans.

2. Grandparents on maternal side didn't attend BYU but are/were big BYU fans.

3. My 9 brothers and sisters plus me all attented BYU. They all are BYU fans.

4. My 9 maternal aunts and uncles attended BYU.

5. First game attended: BYU v Weber St, 1979.

6. As a kid growing up in Vegas I would listen to every Basketball night game because we could get KSL at night.

Comment

No one in my family attended college before I did and we had no ties to either school academically or as fans. My mother worked at the university of Utah for a number of years when I was a kid, however, and so I was partial to the Utes until I graduated from HS when I got a better scholarship offer from BYU. I was never much of a football fan, to be honest, preferring basketball, but my roommate and best friend convinced me to go get in a two day long line for season tickets in the stunt card section. I did and a season of watching Marc Wilson and Jim McMahon score at will against the midgets of the WAC hooked me for the rest of my life. Additionally, one of my HS acquaintances played BB for BYU so that also helped.

I actually didn't care much for BYU, to be honest, and chose not to return after my mission, but I have ever more been a fan of its sports programs.

Go Cougars!
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        I find it odd that the Ute fans who have posted in this thread have chosen to resort to lies.

That is unfortunate.
        What did you expect?
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

What a great thread starter.

The first game I ever attended in any sport anywhere was at the Einer Nielson Fieldhouse in 1967. I still remember the Ute starting five, and the outcome of the game. The Ute starters: Merv Jackson, Don Denson, Ron Cunningham, Walt Simon (Myles' father), and Lyndon MacKay (reputed to be a realtive of the Prophet). I've remembered those names for 42 years. Utah was fresh off its Final Four season, and I remember my dad saying that they started the season as "the number five team in the nation." But they had slipped, and now New Mexico was ranked number five, and undefeated.

Utah was down by 8 at the half, and rallied to win by 7. Denson missed a layup at the buzzer or they would have won by 9. Every time the ref made a call that favored New Mexico, the place exploded in boos, and garbage rained down on the court. It blanketed the court. But this was standard procedure. They'd call time out and sweepers would run out and clear it all off in practically no time, and the game would resume. No technicals; no admonitions from the PA annoucner: Garbage on, garbage off, the game resumed. The place was rocking and rolling and roaring to the fan noise and "Utah Man." In that little field house I felt almost on top of the court and the cheerleaders with their glittering pompoms held high (I wish they would have kept ENF like the Huskies have kept Hec Ed; how basketball was meant to be watched).

I was electrified, I was hooked. But I don't consider the fact I first watched the Utes to be an accident of history; I consider it destiny. Shortly after the end of the season my dad took me to the Hotel Utah for a birthday lunch. We loitered in the lobby; I was growing impatient. Suddenly, Jack Gardner appeared carrying a basketball autographed by that team. My dad's birthday surprise for me, lunch with Coach Gardner and an autographed ball.

In the ensuing years I went to as many BYU games as Utah games. My dad worked for a wire service, and we had all the freebies we wanted. He even took us to a couple of Final Fours. From the beginning I knew there was something horribly wrong with BYU. The homogenously white teams, the piety and arrogance of the fan base, their insular and self-satisfied attitudes, the ugly campus with buildings that reminded me of a shopping mall or some insipid office buildings I'd seen scarring the otherwise grand skyline of Wasington DC. I was an avid reader and from a young age I knew that what I heard BYU fans spout was mostly ill-informed, fatally narrow-minded, and just plain wrong.

On the other hand, I loved the Utah campus and everything it stood for, and spent many a joyful day wandering its prisincts. I never considered another school. I always knew that when I graduated High School I'd enroll on the Hill. I loved the Utes not only for what the U of U was and is, but also, yes, beacuse of its role as a counterweight to all the bad stuff that I perceived associated with BYU. Of course, later on I would associate the bulk of this with the LDS Church as well. They are, of course, the same thing. Later, when I enrolled at the U of U, it indeed turned out to be a window and staircase to enlightenment and a better life. Yes, my apostasy was cemented in my college years at the U of U. (I honestly believe the seeds of my apostasy lie in that exciting night in 1967 at Einer Nielson Fieldhouse. So you active Mormon Ute fans teaching your kids to hate on BYU--BEWARE!)

My unwavering support for the Utes was not without cost. I grew up in a big immediate and extended family, Mormons on both sides. During my childhood they were all BYU fans (my father was somewhat conflcited). I endured their ridicule and their nonsense. I have heard enough drunk Ute stories to fill the pages of a book the girth of "War and Peace." My brother and I had a pretty intense sibling rivalry (only a year and a half aparat) and of course he went against his very nature and was a BYU fan for years. This changed when he followed in my footsteps as a manager to Coach Pimm and married one of the All-Americans' sisters. My father also followed his better instincts eventually. But I join 3D in believing that you only truly love the teams you loved as a child.

LONG LIVE THE HOLY WAR!! GO UTAH!! KILL BYU! THE STAKES COULD NOT BE HIGHER!
          Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I became a BYU fan on Dec. 18, 1980. My parents both went to the Y, but since I was only seven I really wasn't into it. That night, I came home from a kids Christmas party at a friends house, I was greeted with screams, hoops, and hollers from my mom and dad. I was pretty freaked out at first since I'd never seen them act this way, but their excitement was contagious. I wasn't sure what they were talking about by down 20 with four minutes left, hail mary, etc. but it sounded impressive. I decided right then and there I liked this BYU football thing.
            "Remember to double tap"

Comment

My dad attended BYU and was always a big BYU fan. I wasn't a fan until my frosh year at BYU. I decided to go to BYU because it was the cheapest, best school I could go to and a lot of my friends were going. Ty Detmer is the biggest reason I became hooked on BYU sports.

Since 1991, I've attended nearly every home BYU football game, probably 90% of the basketball games, watched nearly away football game, watched 90% of the away basketball games on TV and listened to most of them on the radio that weren't televised.

P.S. the connection between the church and BYU is the main reason I remain so loyal to the team. I'm very loyal to both my church and the institution that represents it. Both are very important to me.
              Last edited by jay santos; 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I owe everything I love to the existence of BYU. It was there that my Missourian Dad and my Alaskan Mom met and fell in love. It was there that this kid from Price met a girl from Ohio. It was also there that I fell in love with a pass-happy offense and an unreliable defense that occasionally produces a sack-monster.

My dad isn't a huge sports fan, but we had season tickets for a few years growing up. My first game was the Air Force game in 1985. I remember being freaked out at halftime that BYU would lose, but Robbie Bosco and the D came through and we beat them by 7. It was there that I got my Robbie Bosco lifesized Heisman poster, which hung on my wall for several years. I also chatted with Shane Shumway, a family acquaintance, after the game. I thought I was near famous! Despite my early love for BYU, I didn't really hate Utah. There really wasn't much of a reason to. They sucked.

In 1988 my best friend invited me to the BYU-Utah game at Rice stadium. He came from a Ute family, but I didn't think anything of it. At that game, a devastating blowout at the hands of Scott Mitchell, I realized what assholes Utes can be. I remember my friends' mom shepherding us away from some nearby fans who were pretty lit. This was a big thing to me because she was incredibly lenient. Even she saw the horrible behavior of those who wear Crimson!

Comment

I'm a BYU grad. Do I have to have another reason?

Comment

1. Both parents are BYU graduates. They met there and had three kids with the fourth on the way when they graduated.

2. We watched BYU football and basketball games on the satellite at church.

3. We followed BYU sports all year round.

4. I went to BYU but considered other schools for the education factor.

5. I saw my first BYU basketball game in person when BYU played LaSalle in Philadelphia during Bradley's freshman year.

6. I attended my first BYU football game in person as a freshman. I also attended my first BYU football road game that year. (snowball game at Rice Stadium)

7. I had season tickets for basketball and football as a freshman in 1992.

8. I attended women's and men's volleyball and was on the BYU track team for about two weeks.

9. I've attended bowl games, road games, and home games and have owned season tickets continuously since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      Quentin Corryatt had "F'd" Ty Detmer in both his shoulders.
                      Great story, nearly even caused me to shed a tear, but I think that was William Thomas, not Coryatt.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        What a great thread starter.

The first game I ever attended in any sport anywhere was at the Einer Nielson Fieldhouse in 1967. I still remember the Ute starting five, and the outcome of the game. The Ute starters: Merv Jackson, Don Denson, Ron Cunningham, Walt Simon (Myles' father), and Lyndon MacKay (reputed to be a realtive of the Prophet). I've remembered those names for 42 years. Utah was fresh off its Final Four season, and I remember my dad saying that they started the season as "the number five team in the nation." But they had slipped, and now New Mexico was ranked number five, and undefeated.

Utah was down by 8 at the half, and rallied to win by 7. Denson missed a layup at the buzzer or they would have won by 9. Every time the ref made a call that favored New Mexico, the place exploded in boos, and garbage rained down on the court. It blanketed the court. But this was standard procedure. They'd call time out and sweepers would run out and clear it all off in practically no time, and the game would resume. No technicals; no admonitions form the PA annoucner: Garbage on, garbage off, the game resumed. The place was rocking and rolling and roaring to the fan noise and "Utah Man." In that little field house I felt almost on top of the court and the cheerleaders with their glittering pompoms held high (I wish they would have kept ENF like the Huskies have kept Hec Ed; how basketball was meant to be watched).

I was electrified, I was hooked. But I don't consider the fact I first watched the Utes to be an accident of history; I consider it destiny. Shortly after the end of the season my dad took me to the Hotel Utah for a birthday lunch. We loitered in the lobby; I was growing impatient. Suddenly, Jack Gardner appeared carrying a basketball autographed by that team. My dad's birthday surprise for me, lunch with Coach Gardner and an autographed ball.

In the ensuing years I went to as many BYU games as Utah games. My dad worked for a wire service, and we had all the freebies we wanted. He even took us to a couple of Final Fours. From the beginning I knew there was something horribly wrong with BYU. The homogenously white teams, the piety and arrogance of the fan base, their insular and self-satisfied attitudes, the ugly campus with buildings that reminded me of a shopping mall or some insipid office buildings I'd seen scarring the otherwise grand skyline of Wasington DC. I was an avid reader and from a young age I knew that what I heard BYU fans spout was mostly ill-informed, fatally narrow-minded, and just plain wrong.

On the other hand, I loved the Utah campus and everything it stood for, and spent many a joyful day wandering its prisincts. I never considered another school. I always knew that when I graduated High School I'd enroll on the Hill. I loved the Utes not only for what the U of U was and is, but also, yes, beacuse of its role as a counterweight to all the bad stuff that I perceived associated with BYU. Of course, later on I would associate the bulk of this with the LDS Church as well. They are, of course, the same thing. Later, when I enrolled at the U of U, it indeed turned out to be a window and staircase to enlightenment and a better life. Yes, my apostasy was cemented in my college years at the U of U. (I honestly believe the seeds of my apostasy lie in that exciting night in 1967 at Einer Nielson Fieldhouse. So you active Mormon Ute fans teaching your kids to hate on BYU--BEWARE!)

My unwavering support for the Utes was not without cost. I grew up in a big immediate and extended family, Mormons on both sides. During my childhood they were all BYU fans (my father was somewhat conflcited). I endured their ridicule and their nonsense. I have heard enough drunk Ute stories to fill the pages of a book the girth of "War and Peace." My brother and I had a pretty intense sibling rivalry (only a year and a half aparat) and of course he went against his very nature and was a BYU fan for years. This changed when he followed in my footsteps as a manager to Coach Pimm and married one of the All-Americans' sisters. My father also followed his better instincts eventually. But I join 3D in believing that you only truly love the teams you loved as a child.

Can someone give me a poll...Did you read SU's above thread?

1.) No, SU is a condescending bitch and my blue collar upbringing causes me to want to vomit each time he posts any post that has reference to either "War and Peace" or a Greek Tragedy.

2.) No.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

1.) No, SU is a condescending bitch and my blue collar upbringing causes me to want to vomit each time he posts any post that has reference to either "War and Peace" or a Greek Tragedy.

2.) No.
                          I thought it was a lovely post.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            Great story, nearly even caused me to shed a tear, but I think that was William Thomas, not Coryatt.
                            It ain't my fault, by halftime Pops rediscovered one of his prewife's favorite local watering holes. It was so bad he invited his 17 year old son to join him in washing away our sorrows!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

2.) No.
                              I took a glance at the overall post and the word "electrified" caught my eye. I decided not to read a post about sports that had the word "electrified" in it.

It's like describing a guy on the PGA tour knocking down a putt as being "brave" or "courageous". It's sports and anyone who describes it as "electrifying" is self manipulating over what they are writing.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                Now that's more like it!
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X