Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austin Collie one of the top 5 athletes to play in the rivalry game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Collie one of the top 5 athletes to play in the rivalry game?

I think Collie is a great player and clearly the best WR ever to play at BYU. I think he is an ass but that is beside the point. Today on the radio PK was claiming he is one of the 5 best players to play in the rivalry game. I think this is crazy because I bet there are 5 better players from BYU alone.

I think the following are better without really any argument, in no particular order:
    Jim McMahon
    Luther Ellis
    Steve Young
    Steve Smith (yes he didn't have the stats to match Collie but that was more of a function of the QB he had throwing to him, plus you cannot discount his punt return ability)
    Ty Detmer
    Alex Smith

Players that are arguably better:
    Jordan Gross
    Kevin Dyson (again he didn't have as good of stats but he didn't have a QB, plus he single handedly beat BYU in Provo)
    John Tait

These are just a few off the top of my head. Collie is the best player on either team on Saturday, but he isn't top 5 of all time.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I think Collie is a great player and clearly the best WR ever to play at BYU. I think he is an ass but that is beside the point. Today on the radio PK was claiming he is one of the 5 best players to play in the rivalry game. I think this is crazy because I bet there are 5 better players from BYU alone.

I think the following are better without really any argument, in no particular order:
    Jim McMahon
    Luther Ellis
    Steve Young
    Steve Smith (yes he didn't have the stats to match Collie but that was more of a function of the QB he had throwing to him, plus you cannot discount his punt return ability)
    Ty Detmer
    Alex Smith

Players that are arguably better:
    Jordan Gross
    Kevin Dyson (again he didn't have as good of stats but he didn't have a QB, plus he single handedly beat BYU in Provo)
    John Tait

These are just a few off the top of my head. Collie is the best player on either team on Saturday, but he isn't top 5 of all time.
    Errol Tucker should be on that list along with Eric Weddle.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      Errol Tucker should be on that list along with Eric Weddle.
      I agree that both of those players should be on the list. I would add them to the arguably better crowd.
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Who can say? He's a wide receiver.

Mostly, it depends on how you use the term "athlete." If you use it to mean "football player," as you appear to do here, then yeah, it's a stretch. If you mean "athlete" only as a gauge of speed, shiftiness, and general run-of-the-mill athleticism, then every one of those quarterbacks would be off the list, leaving only Steve Young on the "arguably better" list. Linemen are off the list by default. You could still come up with 5 arguably better "athletes", but the statement is thus upgraded from "crazy" to somewhere between "implausible" and "plausible."
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Who can say? He's a wide receiver.

Mostly, it depends on how you use the term "athlete." If you use it to mean "football player," as you appear to do here, then yeah, it's a stretch. If you mean "athlete" only as a gauge of speed, shiftiness, and general run-of-the-mill athleticism, then every one of those quarterbacks would be off the list, leaving only Steve Young on the "arguably better" list. Linemen are off the list by default. You could still come up with 5 arguably better "athletes", but the statement is thus upgraded from "crazy" to somewhere between "implausible" and "plausible."
          The discussion on the radio was definitely the best football player. I just don't quite see it. Not trying to take anything away from Collie. He is the best WR that BYU has ever had.
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

The one thing Collie has going for him is that he still has 2 more games (including the one Saturday) to leave his mark. It is very possible that he 'may' be in the top 5 athletes to play in the rivalry game, or at least one to have had the biggest impact. But I think discussion should be 'may become' not is.

Having said that, Collie is a stud and IMO is the best WR to play at the Y ever.

Comment

I can see the argument, with all of the gaudy numbers BYU qbs have put up over the years, none of them have had a receiver with numbers like Collies. He has two games left and he already owns the single season yards, and tds record. He is 35 yards away from breaking the all time receiving record in his junior season. He is less than 200 yards away from breaking the all purpose yards record, and he is 16 catches away from breaking the all time receptions record.

He is unbelievable, has 9 straight 100 yard receiving games and the other two he had 85, and 74 yards. He is the best collegiate receiver to ever play in the rivalry game. That is a bold statement and I know Kevin Dyson and Steve Smith are great, but they were good in college and blew up in the NFL. Not sure what Collies NFL career will be like but in college no one has been better in my opinion.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                I can see the argument, with all of the gaudy numbers BYU qbs have put up over the years, none of them have had a receiver with numbers like Collies. He has two games left and he already owns the single season yards, and tds record. He is 35 yards away from breaking the all time receiving record in his junior season. He is less than 200 yards away from breaking the all purpose yards record, and he is 16 catches away from breaking the all time receptions record.

He is unbelievable, has 9 straight 100 yard receiving games and the other two he had 85, and 74 yards. He is the best collegiate receiver to ever play in the rivalry game. That is a bold statement and I know Kevin Dyson and Steve Smith are great, but they were good in college and blew up in the NFL. Not sure what Collies NFL career will be like but in college no one has been better in my opinion.
                What would Smith or Dysons numbers look like if they had a QB like Hall or Beck? Both of those players played with bad QBs their entire careers. Dyson actually didn't blowup in the NFL, he had a pretty mediocre NFL career that was killed by injuries.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                X