Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OT and Euphemisms

Since it is pillow talk week on CUF here goes:

One of the best examples of euphemisms in the Old Testament are phrases involving "feet." Particularly "uncovering or covering of feet." It is a general purpose euphemism for "genitals." It, naturally, often is used as a sexual emphemism but not always. For example, there is the famous story involving David sneaking up and cutting off part of Sauls's robe (1 Samuel 24:3-4):

3 And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave. 4 And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose , and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily.
    In context, Saul is urinating or doing other plumbing related business (The LDS chapter heading refers to David catching Saul sleeping which I think adds to the humor) when David sneaks up on him. Understanding the euphemism here is actually important to get the full literary force of the passage.

However, my favorite passage using this euphemism is from Ezekiel 16:25 where Jerusalem is described as the following:
    25 Thou hast built thy high place at every head of the way, and hast made thy beauty to be abhorred , and hast opened thy feet to every one that passed by , and multiplied thy whoredoms
    I trust that the meaning of "hast opened thy feet to every one that passed by" is apparent. Ezekiel was a funny ... seriously funny.

Of course, the most famous story in the OT that this probably affects is the story of Ruth (I say probably because there are at least some commentators who believe it is not used euphemistically but I personally don't think the story makes sense without it):

3 Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking . 4 And it shall be, when he lieth down , that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie , and thou shalt go in , and uncover his feet, and lay thee down ; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do .
    For those that didn't know you will never read Ruth the same way again.
    Last edited by pelagius; 11-18-2009, 10:35 PM.

I'm pretty glad I didn't know this 2 years ago when I was teaching OT in seminary.

Good stuff, pelagius.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I'm pretty glad I didn't know this 2 years ago when I was teaching OT in seminary.

Good stuff, pelagius.
      Here is another fun one (Isa 7:20):

20 In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.
      It could be shaving the hair on the feet literally but I am thinking it makes more sense if this is refering to "pubic hair." Not a 100% sure, but it makes the imagery much more punchy and dramatic which I think is right given the context. This, of course, brings together multiple threads on CUF.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
        Ezekiel was a funny ... seriously funny.
        I love Ezekiel. He is my favorite prophet by a mile. His vision of the bones is awesome. We tout Isaiah, rightly, because the Savior quotes him and because Nephi quotes him at length, but to me Ezekiel is his equal in every way. Just my opinion.

EDIT: I may be mixed up on a couples he actually said, lol. But I still like him.
        Last edited by UtahDan; 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I assume this euphemism does not apply to the NT....you know....washing the disciples' feet and all.....
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Oh man, with the OT coming up for Gospel Doctrine in seven weeks, I give thanks pelagius is around. Today's tidbit about feet is great.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              I assume this euphemism does not apply to the NT....you know....washing the disciples' feet and all.....
              Or latter-day church history

And in whatsoever place ye shall enter, and they receive you not, in my name ye shall leave a cursing instead of a blessing, by casting off the dust of your feet against them as a testimony, and cleansing your feet by the wayside.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Right, it is not a NT euphemism ... and sometimes in the OT a foot is just a foot.

Here is a gross one for you DDD:

And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear : for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, wherewith thine enemy shall distress thee in thy gates. -- Deut 28:57
                Here is the NRSV which strips the euphemism:
                57 begrudging even the afterbirth that comes out from between her thighs, and the children that she bears, because she is eating them in secret for lack of anything else, in the desperate straits to which the enemy siege will reduce you in your towns.

Comment

Any enlightenment on the change from "genitals" to "feet?" I believe you, but it is nice to be able to provide a little support when using it in a teaching context.

Our children didn't come out from between the feet, so I am grateful to not have to see that. Of course, when your wife goes C-section, it looks like something out of the Normandy Invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan. I can honestly say that my wife has a lot of guts.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Any enlightenment on the change from "genitals" to "feet?" I believe you, but it is nice to be able to provide a little support when using it in a teaching context.

Our children didn't come out from between the feet, so I am grateful to not have to see that. Of course, when your wife goes C-section, it looks like something out of the Normandy Invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan. I can honestly say that my wife has a lot of guts.
                    I don't know ... I can dig up some references but I don't have them off the top of my head. This really is a well known euphemism. If you have a decent Study Bible it should have a discussion of this euphemism (that is where I first ran across it about 4 years ago reading the Oxford Study Bible).

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Oh man, with the OT coming up for Gospel Doctrine in seven weeks, I give thanks pelagius is around. Today's tidbit about feet is great.
                      I'll admit I taught the David and Saul part to my 12-13 class. I thought they would think it was cool. Thet were seriously grossed out.

Comment

It's pretty weird looking. After three times I still can't quite wrap my brain around there being someone's head LEAVING that area.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          It's pretty weird looking. After three times I still can't quite wrap my brain around there being someone's head LEAVING that area.
                          I've been at the 50 yard line with both of my kids and will again soon. I think it is fascinating.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Also, some OT euphemisms actually are euphemisms for us as well (beside the obvious like knew). Grind is a crossover:

9 "If my heart has been enticed by a woman, and I have lain in wait at my neighbor's door; 10 then let my wife grind for another, and let other men kneel over her. --Job 31:9-10

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              Heck, after participating in around 1000 deliveries, I still wince every now and then
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                              X