• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the lesser used BOHICA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      a couple more unofficial military acronyms using the military's favorite word - I heard it used as a verb, noun, adjective and adverb. I don't think I ever heard used a a prepositition, but I may be wrong

BUFF - B-52
      SLUF - A-7 (I don't think anyone flies this any more)

FIDO

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
        a couple more unofficial military acronyms using the military's favorite word - I heard it used as a verb, noun, adjective and adverb. I don't think I ever heard used a a prepositition, but I may be wrong

BUFF - B-52
        SLUF - A-7 (I don't think anyone flies this any more)

FIDO
        Haha. You're absolutely right. Noun, proper noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, suffix, prefix, but not a preposition that I can remember hearing.

Comment

Gerald Lund took a very large and seemingly unnecessary digression in writing the Work and the Glory to address this. It seems newspapers in the first half of the 19th century took some pleasure out of misspelling phrases, such as "all correct." Thus, when everything was satisfactory, they would report that it was "oll korrect," or "O.K." for short. The quirky usage likely would have faded into oblivion had Old Kinderhook not taken it up as a rallying cry, campaigning on the basis that Old Kinderhook was O.K.-- a slogan which, if used now, would be considered the most honest presidential campaign in history. (Vote, e.g., Hickenlooper-- he's okay!) The repeated usage was just enough to cement the phrase into common jargon, and now the term o.k. has survived both the age of humorous misspellings and Mr. Your Cause is Just But I can do Nothing For You himself.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

The end of year party for residents thrown by the department of surgery where I trained was called BOHICA.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Gerald Lund took a very large and seemingly unnecessary digression in writing the Work and the Glory.
              FIFY
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Gerald Lund took a very large and seemingly unnecessary digression in writing the Work and the Glory to address this. It seems newspapers in the first half of the 19th century took some pleasure out of misspelling phrases, such as "all correct." Thus, when everything was satisfactory, they would report that it was "oll korrect," or "O.K." for short. The quirky usage likely would have faded into oblivion had Old Kinderhook not taken it up as a rallying cry, campaigning on the basis that Old Kinderhook was O.K.-- a slogan which, if used now, would be considered the most honest presidential campaign in history. (Vote, e.g., Hickenlooper-- he's okay!) The repeated usage was just enough to cement the phrase into common jargon, and now the term o.k. has survived both the age of humorous misspellings and Mr. Your Cause is Just But I can do Nothing For You himself.
                Ten years too late!
                Last edited by falafel; 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  The end of year party for residents thrown by the department of surgery where I trained was called BOHICA.
                  Was that in reference to how residents are treated?

Comment

Reminds me of the time my bishop used BFE during bishopric meeting.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Was that in reference to how residents are treated?
                      Pretty much. This was before residents were limited to 80h/week
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I think SNAFU has a PG version too as being "fouled up" while retaining the original intent. The R or PG designation is left to the listener, and has a safe harbor usage for church and pulpit.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Ten years too late!
                          This is what I hate about thread-bumping. Just start a new fricking thread.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

This is what I hate about thread-bumping. Just start a new fricking thread.
                            Actually, it's what I like about thread bumping. Differnt folks, differnt strokes.

Comment

Actually, it's what I like about thread bumping. Differnt folks, differnt strokes.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                I was in my 30s before I found out snafu was not something a lady should say.
                                We just had a discussion at home. My daughter used the term SNAFU, and I told her what the acronym meant. Neither she nor the missus believed me, so the missus asked Google. I was hoping Google would read it to her aloud.

Comment

Working...
                                X