Apple vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Yeah, but you didn't answer how many spaces is a proper indent?
    I've always been partial to 4 spaces.

EDIT: The real question is whether tabs should be converted to spaces. I haven't taken a position this weighty matter yet; when I do take a position I can assure you that it will be the best and only correct position.
    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      I've always been partial to 4 spaces.

EDIT: The real question is whether tabs should be converted to spaces. I haven't taken a position this weighty matter yet; when I do take a position I can assure you that it will be the best and only correct position.
      That's weighty but easy: convert to spaces ... the alternative is an abomination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I like the new touch bar. And the slim profile and the USB-C ports. I would be perfectly happy with my new laptop if everything worked. But it doesn't. I suspect a motherboard issue of some kind.
        Yep. Took it in last Wednesday. Logic board is bad. Laptop will be in the shop for a week and when I get it back I will need to restore the entire system because the SSD is soldered to the motherboard and so it will have a new drive. Argh...
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• For the record I just had to wipe a friend's Mac because of malware.

Comment

• Sounds messy.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
              Sounds messy.
              Worse than a poopy diaper.

Comment

• I'm bringing my old desktop home from my office for the kids to do their homework on and building a new PC for myself. The HPs, Dells, Lenovos, etc that they sell at Costco and Best Buy are typically junk. The more high end desktops and gaming desktops can be put together for less money and you can get what you want.

At Costco, the cheapest Desktop with an M.2 SSD and USB 3.1 (two things I wanted no matter what) is a Dell for $1,450.00. While you don't save a ton of money by building the same PC yourself ($1,360 vs. around $1,540, after tax), you are forced into paying for things you may not want in order to get the features you do want. That computer has an overclocked Ryzen 7 ($310) and a $400 graphics card (and an AMD graphics card on top of that). It's also likely that the motherboard and the M.2 SSD are both substandard. The Ryzen 7 is AMD's competitor with the i7. An i7 level processor is usually a luxury that produces very little real difference for things that 95% of the public does with computers -- including gaming.

On the other hand, you can put together your own computer with a CPU that makes more sense (an i5), and taking the graphics card out of the equation, you can build your own computer that has better components everywhere else for around $750 to $800 (better power supply, SSD and motherboard). Instead of going for the $400 AMD video card, you can get an Nvidia GTX 1060 for around $200 and get close to the same performance with much less power consumption. A true apples to apples comparison with the same video cards puts you at $1,200 vs. the Costco Dell. Or you can go with the Nvidia and get almost the same gaming performance for $1,000.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• where are you getting a 1060 for $200
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    where are you getting a 1060 for $200
                    3GB version?

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      I'm bringing my old desktop home from my office for the kids to do their homework on and building a new PC for myself. The HPs, Dells, Lenovos, etc that they sell at Costco and Best Buy are typically junk. The more high end desktops and gaming desktops can be put together for less money and you can get what you want.

At Costco, the cheapest Desktop with an M.2 SSD and USB 3.1 (two things I wanted no matter what) is a Dell for $1,450.00. While you don't save a ton of money by building the same PC yourself ($1,360 vs. around $1,540, after tax), you are forced into paying for things you may not want in order to get the features you do want. That computer has an overclocked Ryzen 7 ($310) and a $400 graphics card (and an AMD graphics card on top of that). It's also likely that the motherboard and the M.2 SSD are both substandard. The Ryzen 7 is AMD's competitor with the i7. An i7 level processor is usually a luxury that produces very little real difference for things that 95% of the public does with computers -- including gaming.

On the other hand, you can put together your own computer with a CPU that makes more sense (an i5), and taking the graphics card out of the equation, you can build your own computer that has better components everywhere else for around $750 to $800 (better power supply, SSD and motherboard). Instead of going for the $400 AMD video card, you can get an Nvidia GTX 1060 for around $200 and get close to the same performance with much less power consumption. A true apples to apples comparison with the same video cards puts you at $1,200 vs. the Costco Dell. Or you can go with the Nvidia and get almost the same gaming performance for $1,000.

Hey, you should just get one of those iMac Pros when they come out... https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Screw the i7/AMD Ryzen 7. These iMac Pros have Xeon CPUs! I would go with the 18-core one with 128GB of RAM. Future proof!
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

3GB version?
                        Yes
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Yes
                          The important thing is to bling the rig out with lots of RGB stuff

Comment

No thanks

Comment

and a very small mechanical keyboard
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                and a very small mechanical keyboard
                                Gotta have a TKL these days. I must admit I do vastly prefer mechanical keyboards (so I do resemble some of the custom PC crowd cliches). Not small ones though and Cherry MX blues for me (but I don't game).
                                Last edited by pelagius; 08-29-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X