Daylight savings time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The semi-annual changing of the clocks

I feel pretty good that I only have six clocks that have to get changed as we switch off of daylight savings time. One alarm clock, two appliances and three vehicles. Only two more to go.

My wife has a whole box full of watches that she might or might not set the correct time on.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      I feel pretty good that I only have six clocks that have to get changed as we switch off of daylight savings time. One alarm clock, two appliances and three vehicles. Only two more to go.

My wife has a whole box full of watches that she might or might not set the correct time on.
      I think I just have one more vehicle to go.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Not about DST, but is related.

Comment

The semi-annual changing of the clocks. Uggh!

I think today is the first time I've totally missed that it was going to be a daylight savings time switch. I'm probably lucky that half of my clocks change themselves or I wouldn't have known until showing up for church an hour late.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Spring forward isn’t bad. I seriously don’t understand all the angst about it.
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            People who gripe about DST are whiners.
            Bump.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Utah's legislature passed a bill this year that would move to permanent DST if a) the federal government allows it and b) at least 4 other western states out of several nearby states listed in the bill also make the change.

I had a meeting last year down on the Hopi reservation in Arizona - which is actually cut out of the Navajo reservation.

Wall - as you probably know, Arizona doesn't observe DST. However, as the Navajo Reservation is in 4 different states, they've decided that they will observe DST, as it makes it easier for their relationships with the other states. The Hopi reservation, on the other hand, is (I believe) entirely inside of Arizona - so they follow Arizona. Which means in the course of a 20 minute drive you could officially change time zones 3 times as you are in and out and in again.

For the meeting I went to - about a third of the people were an hour late, because they didn't know that the Hopi Reservation on the Navajo Reservation inside the State of Arizona would be using the same time zone as Arizona instead of using the same time zone as the Navajo Reservation. It's just crazy.

It was a complete and total mess. I just assumed that the meeting would be local time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                Utah's legislature passed a bill this year that would move to permanent DST if a) the federal government allows it and b) at least 4 other western states out of several nearby states listed in the bill also make the change.
                If Idaho is on that list, I'm opposed. On the western end of the state, at least, daylight saving time doesn't make sense. I don't like when sunset is at 10:00 pm in the middle of June.

Comment

If Idaho is on that list, I'm opposed. On the western end of the state, at least, daylight saving time doesn't make sense. I don't like when sunset is at 10:00 pm in the middle of June.
                  You'd rather have the light at 4AM?

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/...th=6&year=2020

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    You'd rather have the light at 4AM?

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/...th=6&year=2020
                    Sunrise would be 5:03, and yes, I would like that.

Comment

7:50 pm - Drink your metamucil
                      8:00 pm - Watch Matlock reruns
                      9:00 pm - Close your shades
                      9:10 pm - Go to bed

I don't see a problem here.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm in favor of Idaho switching to full-year DST. Sunset at 10 PM is awesome.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          I'm in favor of Idaho switching to full-year DST. Sunset at 10 PM is awesome.
                          I agree. I mean - it sucked when I was a kid and wanted it to get dark so that I could play night games before it was time to go inside. But I'm not a kid anymore, and my kids are old enough that I don't care if they stay out after 10pm any more.

Right now we're on DST for 8 months out of the year. I just don't see a downside to making it DST for all 12. The 4 months we're talking about tend to be when daylight is so short that it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave to go home anyway - so who cares if we don't change back?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            I agree. I mean - it sucked when I was a kid and wanted it to get dark so that I could play night games before it was time to go inside. But I'm not a kid anymore, and my kids are old enough that I don't care if they stay out after 10pm any more.

Right now we're on DST for 8 months out of the year. I just don't see a downside to making it DST for all 12. The 4 months we're talking about tend to be when daylight is so short that it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave to go home anyway - so who cares if we don't change back?
                            Amen, brother.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Vin Diesel and Jimmy Kimmel both think we should get rid of Daylight Saving Time:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXY--2GyYs

Comment

Vin Diesel and Jimmy Kimmel both think we should get rid of Daylight Saving Time:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXY--2GyYs
                                I'll reserve judgment until the Rock weighs in.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X