No announcement yet.

Missionary experiences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are both African American. In some areas that wouldn't be a shock to see in church, but where we live all we have are Caucasians and Hispanics. When our first friend joined the church she took the AA population of our ward from 1 to 2. (Kinda...the girl lived in the neighboring ward but is in ours because all of the fellowshipping is here.)

So this new friend is in the neighboring ward and it will bring the AA population up to 1 in their ward.

I find that the youth investigating the church aren't really bothered that there isn't anyone else that looks like them at church. They get into it because of what it can do for them and what it helps them become.

My daughter thinks it is funny, because only 1 of her friends is white. Everyone else is either Asian, AA, or some form of Mexican descent. So for her all she is ever going to get to come to church is a non-white person.

I only brought it up because someone asked me how my family was succesful bringing the Gospel up to folks who racially wont find peers of the same skin color at church.

My response....we don't bring it up, they do. And who cares about skin color.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      They are both African American. In some areas that wouldn't be a shock to see in church, but where we live all we have are Caucasians and Hispanics. When our first friend joined the church she took the AA population of our ward from 1 to 2. (Kinda...the girl lived in the neighboring ward but is in ours because all of the fellowshipping is here.)

So this new friend is in the neighboring ward and it will bring the AA population up to 1 in their ward.

I find that the youth investigating the church aren't really bothered that there isn't anyone else that looks like them at church. They get into it because of what it can do for them and what it helps them become.

My daughter thinks it is funny, because only 1 of her friends is white. Everyone else is either Asian, AA, or some form of Mexican descent. So for her all she is ever going to get to come to church is a non-white person.

I only brought it up because someone asked me how my family was succesful bringing the Gospel up to folks who racially wont find peers of the same skin color at church.

The newest member of my ward is black, and a new convert. He is great and the only diversity in the whole ward, unless you count really old people as diverse.
      He has been a member since August and last week was sustained to be the Sunday School teacher for the 14-18 year olds. He sure was excited.

Comment

20 years ago today.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

I HT the only AA family in our Ward(Mother, Mother's Sister, Son). Awesome family..

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            20 years ago today.

You shouldn't sleep with your feet hanging out like that. Rats will eat the soles of your feet. I saw it in a movie.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

https://abc13.com/6372729/

This happened in my stake. Pretty scary ordeal but this is not a very good neighborhood just being down the road from Guns...er Greenspoint.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                https://abc13.com/6372729/

This happened in my stake. Pretty scary ordeal but this is not a very good neighborhood just being down the road from Guns...er Greenspoint.

Crazy... Maybe the Sister Missionaries shouldn't be in the bad part of town.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

On my mission sisters taught someone that wanted more than to be taught the gospel. Showed up at Sisters apartment sister had to be emergency transferred. It does happen than again that could of been random and just happened to be the sister missionaries,

Comment

Working...
                  X