No announcement yet.

Breaking Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh. Sounds like we are not that far apart. Peace brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Tonight's 60 Minutes had an entertaining segment about Bryan Cranston--such a good guy. Except for his turn as Dr. Tim Watley on Seinfeld, his career was essentially nothing until he got the Malcolm in the Middle gig. Lucky for him, although he didn't realize it at the time, Malcolm wasn't renewed for an eighth season, and he was able to test for the pilot of a new series, Breaking Bad. During his interview tonight, he noted that a unifying theme of his Malcolm and BB roles was "tightie whities," which both characters loved to flaunt at embarrassing moments.

Comment

• Started rewatching while the family is out of town.

Great line I missed from Badger: "helicopter bitch!!!"
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I have re-watched this show now 3 Times..

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
            I have re-watched this show now 3 Times..

I'm teaching a Sociology class next semester called "Breaking Bad and Strain Theory."
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I'm teaching a Sociology class next semester called "Breaking Bad and Strain Theory."
              Send me that syllabus! Probably as good a time as any to dip back into the show.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I had never watched more than a couple episodes of this series before this week. But this week, with my wife out of town on business, I binged 4.5 seasons. It is a fantastic show. But I will say that I do not like Walter White very much. I find him detestable in most ways. He is petty and mean spirited, an apparent sociopath, not to mention a cold-blooded killer. And even putting aside the deaths depicted in the show, this guy has supplied literally tons of meth to thousands of people which, I think we can safely assume, did not improve many of their lives.

That said, I am eager to see the second half of the last season, but will likely not get to it until my wife's next trip which is, I think, next week.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Binge watching the final season was the most stressful thing ever.

While I recognized that WW turned into a sociopathic monster, there was still some small part deep down that was rooting for him. The ending was perfect.

Comment

• I recently saw the first couple of seasons available in our local library, so I checked them out and binged them. I've since checked out the remaining seasons and have just started season 5 (final season).

First of all, it is a very engaging show. It's well written with interesting, dynamic characters. While WW is relatively easy to sympathize with in the first few episodes, it becomes more and more difficult as the series progresses - particularly with his treatment of Jesse.

I intended to watch this series with my wife. She is not big on graphic anything, but my understanding was this series originally aired on basic cable, so I figured it would be censored enough for her to enjoy it. Not so. By the end of the first episode, she was out. And she didn't even see the scene with brief nudity when Jesse escaped from next door to the meth house.

Anyway, was this series originally slated for just four seasons? When the fourth season ended, it seemed that they had tied up most of the loose ends. I would have been satisfied with the series ending there. The early episodes of the final season have a much different storyline so far and have introduced several new characters. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew the behind-the-scenes on the writing.

Looking forward to seeing how the series ends.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      I recently saw the first couple of seasons available in our local library, so I checked them out and binged them. I've since checked out the remaining seasons and have just started season 5 (final season).

First of all, it is a very engaging show. It's well written with interesting, dynamic characters. While WW is relatively easy to sympathize with in the first few episodes, it becomes more and more difficult as the series progresses - particularly with his treatment of Jesse.

I intended to watch this series with my wife. She is not big on graphic anything, but my understanding was this series originally aired on basic cable, so I figured it would be censored enough for her to enjoy it. Not so. By the end of the first episode, she was out. And she didn't even see the scene with brief nudity when Jesse escaped from next door to the meth house.

Anyway, was this series originally slated for just four seasons? When the fourth season ended, it seemed that they had tied up most of the loose ends. I would have been satisfied with the series ending there. The early episodes of the final season have a much different storyline so far and have introduced several new characters. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew the behind-the-scenes on the writing.

Looking forward to seeing how the series ends.

Do you not have netflix?

Season 5 started out bland and slow for me, but boy did it end well. Stressful to say the least!

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        Do you not have netflix?

Season 5 started out bland and slow for me, but boy did it end well. Stressful to say the least!
                        Funny you should ask. We've had it off and on. My wife just signed up for it again a couple of nights ago. Last night was the first time I looked at its offerings and saw Breaking Bad. So now I'm watching the streaming version instead of the discs.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Send me that syllabus! Probably as good a time as any to dip back into the show.
                          Breaking Bad and Classical Strain Theory
                          Davidson Hall 109
                          TTH 2:30 - 3:45

Course Description and Objectives
                          Breaking Bad was a highly acclaimed television series chronicling the criminal dealings of high-school-teacher-turned-methamphetamine-crime-boss Walter White. While the series received numerous awards across its 5-season run, it is also noteworthy for its excellent depiction of Robert Merton’s Classical Strain Theory. Using Breaking Bad as reference point, this class provides a detailed examination of Merton’s theoretical model. Course content includes an overview of Classical Strain Theory, Merton’s Adaptations to Strain, and the policy implications of Merton’s work.

The culture of Latin America is also featured prominently in the Breaking Bad series, especially that of New Mexico and Old Mexico. There are characters in the show from Chile, Mexico, the USA, and Honduras. Cultural elements such as narcocorridos, the cult of La Santa Muerte, and the difference between ethnicity and race will be discussed.

After completing this course, students will be able to discuss Merton’s work with peers in the field, apply his theoretical framework to social policy, and gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of Breaking Bad’s protagonist Walter White. They will also be able to discuss many of the cultural references from Latin America in the series, and be able to situate them within the larger sub-culture of the United States, thereby understanding how Merton’s Adaptations extend across sub-cultures and borders to impact multiple societies.

Prerequisites
                          There are no formal prerequisites for this course. However, we ask that you engage with all material with an open mind.

Required Course Materials
                          Merton, Robert. 1996. Robert Merton: On Social Structure and Science. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0226520711

Additional readings will be placed into a folder in Blackboard.

Students are required to have access to the Breaking Bad television series. The series is available on various streaming services and on DVD and Blu-Ray. There is also a copy on reserve in the LITC. It may be checked out, but you cannot take it from the library; it has to be watched there. The call number is PN1992.77.B74 2014 and it is at the reference desk.

Communication
                          We often send notices and announcements by e-mail and Blackboard, so you will need to check your student email and Blackboard daily (if not more often). If you ever need to contact us, we are best reached by email and will make every effort to respond within 24 hours (usually sooner).

Grading
                          Final Course grades will be calculated as follows:
                          Attendance & Participation (5%)
                          Applied Knowledge Project(30%)
                          Reflections(25%)
                          Term Paper (40%)
                          Total(100%)

Assignments
                          Class Participation
                          You are expected to attend class regularly, have completed the assigned reading before class, and be prepared to offer thoughtful commentary and/or questions. Participations points are earned by substantively contributing to class discussion.

Reflections
                          You are expected to submit a total of 6 reflections. These assignments will take multiple forms, but at their core should present a serious engagement with course material. Reflections are randomly assigned based on class discussion.

Term Paper
                          You are expected to write an 20+ page paper that summarizes, analyzes, and advocates a position in relation to a topic related to the course. Due to stare decisis, papers are expected to be both theoretically sound as well as grounded in legal precedents.

This assignment consists of a series of smaller projects that will aid in the finished product. The following mini-assignments will be added together for the total term paper grade:

Annotated Bibliography 15%
                          Paper Outline 20%
                          Review Draft 20%
                          Final Draft 45%
                          Total 100%

Annotated Bibliography
                          Adhering to APA formatting, students must composed an annotated bibliography consisting for 18 academic sources.

Paper Outline
                          Students must present a detailed outline for the term paper. Important sections include, but are not limited to, the research question and organization of the literature review.

Paper Drafts
                          Three drafts of the paper must be turned in throughout the semester. Each draft should demonstrate a significant investment of time and research. Underdeveloped drafts will not be accepted.

Applied Knowledge Project (AKP)
                          Students will develop an original project that requires them to meaningfully apply course information. The form this project takes is completely up to the student(s). Groups of up to three are permitted.

The final grade for this project will be based on the following:

Proposal10%
                          Consultation 115%
                          Consultation 215%
                          Presentation20%
                          Final Product40%
                          Total 100%

Proposal
                          Students must construct a 3+ page proposal that clearly outlines the objective(s) of their applied knowledge project. The proposal should consist of a basic literature review detailing the theoretical grounding for the project, the nature of the project, and the significance of each of its components.

Consultations
                          Using Google Calendar, students are expected to schedule two meetings with the instructor to review the progress of the project. During these meetings, students must have something to show for work. “Still thinking” will not be acceptable for consultations.

Presentation
                          Each student/group will need to present their final project to the class. Presentations should be 15 minutes in length and demonstrate the significance of the project.

Final Product
                          At the conclusion of the course, each student/group must turn in their completed project. It will be assessed based on its ability to fulfill the objects outline the student/group’s proposal. This project should also demonstrate a serious invest of time and scholarly standards.

Absences
                          Class periods are comprised of both lecture and discussion. Thus, your attendance is essential to success in this course. However, unexpected events do arise which may prevent you from attending. For this reason, you will be allowed 2 unexcused absences. All additional unexcused absences will result in a one-letter grade penalty.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• I think it’s time hit this show again..

Comment

• Anyone else watch El Camino yet? Wasn’t really what I expected (not sure what I expected, tbh), but I enjoyed it. I wish I had watched the last season of BB again before watching it. It’s been a while since I watched it, so felt a little lost in a couple spots. Not too bad though.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                                Anyone else watch El Camino yet? Wasn’t really what I expected (not sure what I expected, tbh), but I enjoyed it. I wish I had watched the last season of BB again before watching it. It’s been a while since I watched it, so felt a little lost in a couple spots. Not too bad though.
                                It was good. Maybe not as good as BB at its best but still worthwhile television in an era where there isn’t much of that.

It was a little distracting to see how fat Todd has gotten since the show ended.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X