Breaking Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I notice you Walter White fans are keeping mum about Jesse Pinkman. That makes sense because you cannot root for both Jesse and Walt simultaneously.
    Lol. Maybe let this inconsistency slide on account of they're both pretend people.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Saw a number of these shirts at diz today.
      That reminds me, whatever happened to Heisenberg? Looks like he hasn't posted in a long time.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I hated Flynn - he was so whiny - and so self righteous, like he had such a superior moral compass than everybody else. Giving his sweet ride back - and riding the bus like a super hero. Well I've got news for you Flynn - there ain't no super hero's and your spending drug money now - and don't even know it.

Idiot

Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-08-2017, 04:04 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          Not to me. Jesse is greedy and lazy but has a sense of common decency and never lost that through it all. Walter is not lazy but more greedy and a straight up sociopath.
          No, I could see Walter's motivations the whole way through. He acted impulsively, let his ego take the wheel too often, made mistakes and was flawed, sure. But I understood all of his actions and he was believable. 'Course I could just be sociopathic, too.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
            I did. Because they are both complex and nuanced characters and because Aaron Paul is a NSOT208.
            Yes, totally agree. Both are fantastic characters and BB may be my all-time favorite series. But shouldn't complex and nuanced characters warrant a complex and nuanced reaction? Something like, "Walter was a sympathetic character and I couldn't help but cheer for him at times, but he did some horrible, evil things that repulsed me." But this kind of statement:

I never loathed WW. I rooted for him to the bitter end! Guess I'm just a loyal, strong, and true kinda guy.
            is sociopathic and devoid of nuance. You would cheer when he lets a girl die? You would cheer when he meets the grieving father and when his actions indirectly cause a plane filled with innocent people (including kids) to crash? If Walter had started a child sex trafficking business, would you have still cheered him on?

The whole premise of the show is that this high school chemistry teacher with terminal cancer and his lovable sidekick draw you in and then the chemistry teacher gradually morphs into a monster and we get to watch all of the repercussions play out. The episode with the train was great and so important to the overall story. They have this crazy scheme to steal chemicals and you are on the edge of your seat in suspense the entire episode and then you jump up and cheer and pump your fists when they pull it off and then ... bang! They shoot a young boy on a motorcycle. "Oh yeah, they are drug dealers involved in an evil despicable business." The whiplash was stunning. Brilliant writing. Jesse's soul was shattered and he never recovered. Walter White just shook it off. Full on sociopath at that point obsessed with power and greed.

Dang, what a great series.
            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-09-2017, 09:50 AM.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• JL said it better than me. We all cheered for Walt initially despite his criminal behavior. He was a sympathetic character because he was a brilliant family man but was dying and had no way to secure his family's future after he was gone. This allowed us to excuse his behavior because he was just looking out for his family (that was the false excuse he used to the very end) and got in over his head. But as we learned more about his past and he became more entrenched in the criminal underworld it became clear that it was never about his family. It was about his own ego. In his eyes he was far better than what life had given him. A brilliant person like him deserves money, power, and recognition. So he decided that before he died he was going to take all those things that he deserved, regardless of the cost to those around him. Not the kind of guy I continue to root for.

Comment

• Is anybody keeping score here?
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I bet commando wouldn't have stayed loyal to WW if he wore a Make America Great Again hat.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

• Can we all agree that everyone rooted for Badger?
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Yes, totally agree. Both are fantastic characters and BB may be my all-time favorite series. But shouldn't complex and nuanced characters warrant a complex and nuanced reaction? Something like, "Walter was a sympathetic character and I couldn't help but cheer for him at times, but he did some horrible, evil things that repulsed me." But this kind of statement:

I never loathed WW. I rooted for him to the bitter end! Guess I'm just a loyal, strong, and true kinda guy.

is sociopathic and devoid of nuance.
                      You got me! I'm the one who is sociopathic and devoid of nuance. Too bad all you perfect souls never made a mistake, let your ego get the best of you, got in over your head, or hurt loved ones, etc. and can't relate to and root for a fictional character who does-- you might enjoy the show more. No, you don't 'cheer' when the shitty stuff happens to him any more than you cheer when it happens to you, but if you've lived any kind of a life you feel a pang of empathy and want to see him through it.
                      Last edited by Commando; 07-09-2017, 01:27 PM.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I bet commando wouldn't have stayed loyal to WW if he wore a Make America Great Again hat.
                        Walter White at least attempted to wear a classy hat.

Comment

• Breaking Bad

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

is sociopathic and devoid of nuance. You would cheer when he lets a girl die? You would cheer when he meets the grieving father and when his actions indirectly cause a plane filled with innocent people (including kids) to crash? If Walter had started a child sex trafficking business, would you have still cheered him on?

The whole premise of the show is that this high school chemistry teacher with terminal cancer and his lovable sidekick draw you in and then the chemistry teacher gradually morphs into a monster and we get to watch all of the repercussions play out. The episode with the train was great and so important to the overall story. They have this crazy scheme to steal chemicals and you are on the edge of your seat in suspense the entire episode and then you jump up and cheer and pump your fists when they pull it off and then ... bang! They shoot a young boy on a motorcycle. "Oh yeah, they are drug dealers involved in an evil despicable business." The whiplash was stunning. Brilliant writing. Jesse's soul was shattered and he never recovered. Walter White just shook it off. Full on sociopath at that point obsessed with power and greed.

Dang, what a great series.
                          So well said.. And I knew Walt was devoid of all feelings when he tried to console Jessie in the fog-house meth lab about the no being killed and then proceeded to "Whistle why he worked" when he thought Jessie was gone. Jessie realized at that point how far gone Walt was..

Straight gangsta..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by dabrockster; 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            You got me! I'm the one who is sociopathic and devoid of nuance. Too bad all you perfect souls never made a mistake, let your ego get the best of you, got in over your head, or hurt loved ones, etc. and can't relate to and root for a fictional character who does-- you might enjoy the show more. No, you don't 'cheer' when the shitty stuff happens to him any more than you cheer when it happens to you, but if you've lived any kind of a life you feel a pang of empathy and want to see him through it.
                            Nope. I enjoyed the show with my invested emotions on a rational level when I insert a touch of reality to it.. this isn't a popcorn summer blockbuster where we should remove such emotions..

I was sympathetic to a point and even in the end he was redeemable to a point but cannot forget all the evil he had done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              First of all, you don't need to "root for" Walter White at every step of the way to enjoy the show. Crazy talk. No way you enjoyed the show any more than I did.

One could argue that rooting for WW to the bitter end demonstrates a profound lack of empathy as he left a broad wake of destruction in his path.

BTW, one of my other favorite series is the Sopranos. Definitely some parallels between Tony Soprano and Walter White. Both are complex and fascinating and you can't help but root for them at times, but wow, Tony could shock you back to reality by doing some evil things. Walter White allowing the girl to die very much reminded me of Tony Soprano choking out his nephew after the impact of a car crash. In both cases, an opportunity was seized to alleviate a problem by making a split second decision and allowing/causing someone to die. I wonder if the BB writers used that as an inspiration for the BB episode in question.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

First of all, you don't need to "root for" Walter White at every step of the way to enjoy the show. Crazy talk. No way you enjoyed the show any more than I did.

One could argue that rooting for WW to the bitter end demonstrates a profound lack of empathy as he left a broad wake of destruction in his path.

BTW, one of my other favorite series is the Sopranos. Definitely some parallels between Tony Soprano and Walter White. Both are complex and fascinating and you can't help but root for them at times, but wow, Tony could shock you back to reality by doing some evil things. Walter White allowing the girl to die very much reminded me of Tony Soprano choking out his nephew after the impact of a car crash. In both cases, an opportunity was seized to alleviate a problem by making a split second decision and allowing/causing someone to die. I wonder if the BB writers used that as an inspiration for the BB episode in question.
                                Never said I 'rooted for him every step of the way.' That has a bit different meaning than rooting for him to the bitter end. Also-are you asserting you can't empathize for the plights of multiple people when watching a dramatic work? It's not a football game- you don't have to take a side and stick with it; I already said I love Jesse Pinkman, too. And you certainly don't have to agree with every move he makes. To be clear I wasn't ringing my hands with an evil cackle when he let Jesse's girl pass away. That's a dramatic "oh shit" moment that thickens the plot and in that instance created the conflict that ultimately destroyed Walt and Jesse's relationship-- one of several that WW probably wishes he could have back. That's what I actually like about and in fact consider the definition of a conflicted, flawed, sympathetic character. Cheering for WW and in utter suspense waiting to see him do the right thing/redeem himself etc. certainly doesn't make me a sociopath or my view 'un-nuanced.' One could also argue that turning your back on a character at the first sign of a flaw is an un-nuanced view as well. WW is not the sociopath in BB-- there are plenty of others to choose from. Also, I think you are probably being pretty disingenuous about your lack of regard/empathy for WW if pressed-- don't tell me you weren't cheering when he decimated those nazis and set Jesse free.

Comment

Working...
                                X