Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon before you upgrade to Windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I just got notified this morning that the Windows 7 that I'm running on my home machine is no longer supported by Microsoft. I refuse to upgrade to Windows 10.

Anybody else planning to stick with Windows 7?

My second, older machine is still running Vista.
    Scott, when you say you are running Vista, you 100% lose any credibility you have on operating systems. Upgrade to W10. You will be fine.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Scott, when you say you are running Vista, you 100% lose any credibility you have on operating systems. Upgrade to W10. You will be fine.
      The Vista machine is generally not used at all. It's been powered off for several months. I use it to look at photos for artwork and that's about it. It's too slow to do much else on it.

Windows 10 has a different look and feel and wastes more memory. I'll switch over when I get a new machine, which probably isn't too far off.

What can I get in a desktop these days for five hundred bucks?

Comment

And you can still upgrade from 7 to 10 without any additional cost:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Windows 10 supports the Windows Subsystem for Linux very well. You have native linux console capabilities with a variety of linux distro options (I use personally use Ubuntu). No need for dual boot, cygwin, MKS, Git bash, or any other klugy hacks. It really does work well.

Windows 10, using WSL/Ubuntu for console (I just never got into Powershell that much) is great. I went from 7 to 10 and never looked back.

Comment

The Vista machine is generally not used at all. It's been powered off for several months. I use it to look at photos for artwork and that's about it. It's too slow to do much else on it.

Windows 10 has a different look and feel and wastes more memory. I'll switch over when I get a new machine, which probably isn't too far off.

My inner junior high kid made me giggle at the way you worded this.

Comment

I just got notified this morning that the Windows 7 that I'm running on my home machine is no longer supported by Microsoft. I refuse to upgrade to Windows 10.

Anybody else planning to stick with Windows 7?

My second, older machine is still running Vista.
              Windows 7 will be around for awhile, its install footprint is still gigantic. I think only very recently did Windows 10 overtake Windows 7. Microsoft can't ignore the Windows 7 install footprint yet. The notice you received is intended to spread FUD, typical for Microsoft.

There are legit reasons not to upgrade. My wife has paid thousands of dollars for specialized Psych testing software that will not run on Windows 10. Heck, she still keeps a laptop running Windows XP around for some software that she still uses. I don't see her upgrading to 10 until the developers of software she relies on also make the jump.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I can't believe that you'd spend thousands on a motorcycle equipment and accessories, and then skimp on a computer. You use a computer everyday - you don't ride everyday - and yet the spending is katywampus. Spend $1,500 on a ''great' desktop and you'll be amazed at how much you enjoy it. I spent a couple of grand on mine a couple of years ago, and it's about time for a new one. Computers are a tool that adds productivity to your life, and enjoyment.

Get one of these.... https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                  I can't believe that you'd spend thousands on a motorcycle equipment and accessories, and then skimp on a computer. You use a computer everyday - you don't ride everyday - and yet the spending is katywampus. Spend $1,500 on a ''great' desktop and you'll be amazed at how much you enjoy it. I spent a couple of grand on mine a couple of years ago, and it's about time for a new one. Computers are a tool that adds productivity to your life, and enjoyment.

Get one of these.... https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                  LOL. Walter knows a thing or two about commuters.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

LOL. Walter knows a thing or two about commuters.
                    What about Scott?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      What about Scott?
                      That depends. Does he commute on a motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        That depends. Does he commute on a motorcycle?
                        Isn't he retired now? Unlike Walt, he probably knows nothing about commuters.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Whoops.

Comment

Working...
                          X