Politics and the media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    Another interesting piece from The Atlantic on the history of conservative talk radio and how it eventually completely transformed the Republican Party (and helped set the table for Trumpism).

I think the conclusion is exactly right:

"The new political landscape has hamstrung the ability of Republican leaders to legislate, leading to constant brinkmanship epitomized by the longest government shutdown in history in the winter of 2018–19, when President Donald Trump heeded the calls of Limbaugh and others to fight, even though there really wasn’t a viable path to victory.

This episode has unfortunately illustrated the new reality for the Republican Party: Over three decades, the titans of talk have remade the party in their own image, with elected Republicans now sounding more like commentators on the AM dial—or its cable equivalent, the Fox News Channel, where Hannity has hosted a show since 1996—than what used to be heard in the halls of Congress. While this made for gripping radio and TV, it left a more and more extreme party, with little capacity to govern and little appeal in the suburbs or with young and nonwhite voters.

Trump’s presidency is the ultimate testament to the power of talk-radio conservatism. In one week last month, the president not only called in to Hannity’s show, but on a separate night tweeted, “Oh well, we still have the great @seanhannity who I hear has a really strong show tonight. 9:00 P.M.” He reportedly talks regularly with Hannity as well. And last winter, when Trump reversed course after the uprising on the right, it was Limbaugh to whom the president pledged that he would shut the government down if he didn’t get enough funds for his border wall.

The power of these hosts would’ve been unthinkable when Limbaugh took the national airwaves by storm in 1988. But over three decades, hosts have used the special bond they’ve forged with their audiences to reshape the Republican Party in their image. For millions of listeners, the change has been electrifying. For excommunicated moderates, this show hasn’t been entertaining in the least. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-party/596380/
    I used to listen to a lot of conservative talk radio, but haven't listened at all in over a decade. There are several conservative talk radio hosts that are quite smart and have some interesting ideas. Some of them like to play the "shock jock" role and say outrageous stuff just to get people on the left riled up, but in general their ideas are not as radical as the mainstream media likes to paint them. There are a few exceptions, but the left-leaning media has made a concerted effort to de-legitimize talk radio as something on the "fringe" when in reality, it is pretty mainstream conservative ideology. At least that's the way I perceived it when I was listening over a decade ago (I acknowledge that things could have changed).

Hannity is, and always has been, an intellectual midget with an enormously over-sized ego. Could never stand listening to him on the radio or on Fox News. Guy is a complete and utter moron. He isn't really that radical ... he is just completely vapid and apparently, given his fawning over Trump, has no principles whatsoever. Hannity was not representative of most talk radio, though, when I was paying attention to it.

Limbaugh is more of the "shock jock" type. He says things to get attention. He's actually pretty intelligent though. I didn't always agree with him, but he would make interesting points that made me think. He never seemed to be much of the social conservatism/evangelical type, although he'd pay lip service to that wing of the Republican Party at times. He also seemed to be a party over principle guy, so it doesn't surprise me that he would be OK with Trump. He's also a ratings over policy guy, so it also doesn't surprise me that he would egg on a shutdown that served no purpose. His audience probably ate that stuff up.

Overall, I don't think its really fair to blame the talk radio hosts for the current state of the Republican Party. They have their shticks, which are mostly motivated by ratings. There are people on the left that do the same thing, although to seemingly much less success. The real problem, as I see it, is the lack of intelligent and persuasive conservative thinkers in what is considered "mainstream journalism." The token conservative columnists at the New York Times and Washington Post are pretty pathetic when compared to those in the past. And conservative-leaning publications have either shut down completely or degraded in quality. Many of them have a disdain for younger voters and make no effort to win them or non-white voters over. Thus, "conservatism" (if you can even call it that anymore) seems to have been largely subsumed by the talk radio types.

Comment

Why has this thread been so dormant? This is what everything is about now. Move all the political posts into this thread, moderators!

JohnnyLingo was a prophet!
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Reviewing this short thread make sme wish Lingo was still around and glad that RF isnt. Freaking mods, what a bunch of clowns.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is a sad thing.

Shepard Smith, Fox News veteran anchor and frequent Trump target, abruptly resigns from the network

Smith, Fox News’s chief news anchor and host of its afternoon news program “Shepard Smith Reporting,” said the decision to leave was his own but gave no further reason for his resignation. He signed off with a brief statement, surprising even his colleagues. Fox News said Friday’s program would be Smith’s last.

Smith has been at Fox News since its founding in 1996 and is one of its signature figures. He was among the first people hired by Fox News’s co-founder, the late Roger Ailes, for the network’s launch. His recent tenure, however, has been marked by conflict and criticism, not just from President Trump but from within the network itself.

The internal tensions at Fox News appear to have contributed to his resignation, according to multiple people at the network and those close to Smith who spoke to The Washington Post for this story. Smith was also in the middle of a long-term contract, making his resignation — and Fox’s agreement to release him — highly unusual.

Earlier this month, he engaged in an extraordinary war of words with Tucker Carlson, one of the network’s most popular opinion hosts. Smith called Carlson “repugnant” for not defending Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano when a guest on Carlson’s program called Napolitano “a fool” for criticizing Trump’s efforts to gain damaging information on Democratic rival Joe Biden from the president of Ukraine.

Carlson fired back, clearly referring to Smith but not naming him: “Unlike maybe some dayside hosts, I’m not very partisan.” ...

Smith’s criticism of Trump dates to the beginning of Trump’s presidency. After a presidential news conference in early 2017, for example, he called some of Trump’s responses “absolutely crazy.” He went on to defend rival news network CNN after Trump called its reporting “fake news.”

“CNN’s reporting was not fake news,” Smith said at the time. “Its journalists follow the same standards to which other news organizations, including Fox News, adhere.”

More recently, he urged Fox News viewers to read special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report of his investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, strongly suggesting that it didn’t exonerate the president, as Trump and Attorney General William P. Barr had claimed. “Everyone in America should read” it, he said on the air. “Everyone.”
          https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...b37_story.html

Comment

Why the hell was Barr meeting with Rupert Murdoch?

Rep. Harley Rouda (D-Calif.) suggested Friday that Attorney General William Barr's reported meeting with media giant Rupert Murdoch this week should be investigated by lawmakers.

Murdoch, the chairman of Fox, and Barr met at Murdoch's New York home on Wednesday night, The New York Times reported. It is unclear what the duo discussed, with aides to both men declining to comment to the newspaper earlier this week.

"What the hell is the attorney general of the United States doing meeting with the head of Fox?" Rouda, who sits on the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said during an interview on SiriusXM’s "The Dean Obeidallah Show" on Friday.

"And for what purpose could that possibly be, especially in light of the fact this is happening exactly at the same time the president of the United States is saying Fox News isn’t being kind enough to him?" the Democratic lawmaker added.

Rouda suggested that lawmakers should look into the meeting, adding, "I think it is within our purview because we want to know."
            https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...doch-should-be

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Why the hell was Barr meeting with Rupert Murdoch?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...doch-should-be
              To talk about grandkids and golf?
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Project Veritas exposes racial and political bias at CNN...

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

CNN, the 24 hour impeachment network...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

ABC #FakeNews...

But ABC has taken down the video after the "error" was pointed out...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Project Veritas...

I am starting to wonder if the movie Nightcrawler was more of a documentary than a work of fiction. News networks such as CNN are just making up sh*t for ratings.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Project Veritas...

I am starting to wonder if the movie Nightcrawler was more of a documentary than a work of fiction. News networks such as CNN are just making up sh*t for ratings.
                        James O'Keefe has one of the more punchable faces I have ever seen.

Comment

Didn’t Project Veritas give up any claim to Veritas a few years ago?
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Didn’t Project Veritas give up any claim to Veritas a few years ago?
                            Yes. They are one of the more ironically named outlets around. So it makes sense Ted loves them.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Yes. They are one of the more ironically named outlets around. So it makes sense Ted loves them.
                              Yeah, seems better than CNN, the "24 hour impeach Drumpf" and the "DNC doesn't like her so cut her off and rig the election" Network.

Hey, did ABC News every apologize for cropping that gun show video and calling it a gun fight in Syria? Nope. That is a new low in "news reporting."

Y'all get your news from high quality sources, don't you?
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Washington Post changing their style guide to recognize “White culture”:

https://twitter.com/karenattiah/stat...671949825?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                X