FG kicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG kicks

9 points left on the field. I know it's a lot of pressure, but you're getting your education paid for and all you have to do is kick. That's it. Over and over. Until your leg falls off. Until you can do it with your eyes closed. And then you do it some more.

There is absolutely no excuse for a scholarship D1 kicker to miss a 35 yd FG.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

What a bad sports day. It couldn't have possibly turned out any worse.

Comment

I'm still pissed. I'm sick of athletes choking. Who do they think they are? Do they realize how lucky they are to have their education paid for? This is YOUR JOB. If I choke like that, people die. I'm sorry, Mitch Payne, but there's no excuse for what you did. I know others are guilty too, but they have a whole skill set to work on. You just have to kick field goals. Disgusted.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Did you see the graphic the espn guys put up about bronco's priorities? Football was #5.
        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          Did you see the graphic the espn guys put up about bronco's priorities? Football was #5.
          And for the average kid who plays football for fun, I'll agree--it's not the top. But we're essentially paying these guys to do a job. It's dishonest to not do that job. It's stealing.

I reserve the right to retract any of these statements as the ramblings of a pissed off fan tomorrow.
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            And for the average kid who plays football for fun, I'll agree--it's not the top. But we're essentially paying these guys to do a job. It's dishonest to not do that job. It's stealing.

I reserve the right to retract any of these statements as the ramblings of a pissed off fan tomorrow.
            On a more happy note, Payne can nail a L. Tom Perry quote at the 17 minute mark at a fireside.
            I intend to live forever.
            So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

Comment

Yeah. I am growing tired of Bronco's shtick to be honest.

I haven't been more disappointed in a 10 win team ever.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Yeah. I am growing tired of Bronco's shtick to be honest.

I haven't been more disappointed in a 10 win team ever.
                Why are you growing tired of Bronco's shtick? Because you tire of the target rich environment it is by detractors/Ute fans or because you really believe his religious approach is having a negative impact on the football program? If it is the former, I say, lovingly, pull the string. If it is the latter, I doubt I agree, but I can understand your sentiments.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  Why are you growing tired of Bronco's shtick? Because you tire of the target rich environment it is by detractors/Ute fans or because you really believe his religious approach is having a negative impact on the football program? If it is the former, I say, lovingly, pull the string. If it is the latter, I doubt I agree, but I can understand your sentiments.
                  It's the latter. I could care less what Utes and fans think of it. In fact it's really the only thing I like about it anymore, that it gets under people's skin. I used to think that Bronco said those things to appease those ornery Provo folks and that he was really slick. But now I think he really is a zealot. And that zeal has detracted from what should be happening on the field.

I am not happy with his staff. I am not happy with the lack of focus on the field. Too many games where this team just played without any emotion and were flat. How do you have a game like UCLA and then games like TCU, Utah and tonight?

Maybe it's my sour mood, but this has been grating on me for sometime.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

It's the latter. I could care less what Utes and fans think of it. In fact it's really the only thing I like about it anymore, that it gets under people's skin. I used to think that Bronco said those things to appease those ornery Provo folks and that he was really slick. But now I think he really is a zealot. And that zeal has detracted from what should be happening on the field.

I am not happy with his staff. I am not happy with the lack of focus on the field. Too many games where this team just played without any emotion and were flat. How do you have a game like UCLA and then games like TCU, Utah and tonight?

I am in your camp on this, Bronco bugs the crap out of me, but the overall results have hard to dispute.

I do think that the UCLA aberration was more about a complete disintegration by UCLA than it was about us being great. That was a really bad football team.

Comment

I still believe that he says it to pacify the mullahs and I remember what the mullahs can do if they are not pacified. However, if you say something often enough you do begin to believe it. Bronco is going through the same sort of self realization and value shift that most of us Mormon men experience between 19-21. He just doesn't come home and get out of the environment.

I agree that this team had some issues that were not visible the past two seasons. They lacked toughness and will at times. I have a few theories about why this could be. I think part of it is that Hall and Collie have seperated themselves a bit, I think the Quest motto was not wise and I also think it hurts to not have strong senior leadership. There were some issues and clearly Mendenhall didn't handle them well enough. However, I am absolutely convinced that Mendenhall has this program about as good as it can be as a program.

Saying all that the one thing about Mendenhall that I respect most is his humility. Detractors will call him arrogant because most detractors are Utes and have a Pavlovian response that all things BYU are arrogant. As I view Mendenhall he is a guy that makes changes after closely analyzing what went wrong. I think he realized that some things were wrong throughout the year, but he isn't the type of guy to make knee jerk reactions. He rode what got him to where he was and now he will change the parts he thinks went awry.

The changes are likely to be cheesy and corny in order to pacify a cheesy and corny fanbase/decision makers on his board. But I think they will be effective. The fact of the matter is despite our present bitterness the performance up to date is very encouraging. He is not a stupid man and I really don't think he values football # 5.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Hey friends are very important. I bet BYU players update their Facebook and myspace pages much more often than their Ute counterparts. In fact I bet several have already blogged about the fireside on Friday night.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          He is not a stupid man and I really don't think he values football # 5.
                          While I also do not believe he is a stupid man, allowing that priority set to be released to the media when you have a mentally and physically soft football team is a stupid move.

What good could have come from that? Especially when one of the items on the list is friends. If football were 4th with Faith, family and school being ahead I think most would not have even bothered with that list, but to say friends are more important than football at the FBS level is idiotic.

I hope we see some things changed next year, because this could be a 5 loss team. And if you think the fence sitters are coming down on Bronco wait until 4-5 losses happens and the mullahs start to wonder out loud if Bronco and the team are living up to gospel principles. I would be hard pressed to say Bronco hasn't set himself up for that one.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            9 points left on the field. I know it's a lot of pressure, but you're getting your education paid for and all you have to do is kick. That's it. Over and over. Until your leg falls off. Until you can do it with your eyes closed. And then you do it some more.

There is absolutely no excuse for a scholarship D1 kicker to miss a 35 yd FG.
                            Perhaps he was too busy with priorities 1 thru 4 to make a simple FG. No big deal. There are more important things in life than football.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              While I also do not believe he is a stupid man, allowing that priority set to be released to the media when you have a mentally and physically soft football team is a stupid move.

What good could have come from that? Especially when one of the items on the list is friends. If football were 4th with Faith, family and school being ahead I think most would not have even bothered with that list, but to say friends are more important than football at the FBS level is idiotic.

I hope we see some things changed next year, because this could be a 5 loss team. And if you think the fence sitters are coming down on Bronco wait until 4-5 losses happens and the mullahs start to wonder out loud if Bronco and the team are living up to gospel principles. I would be hard pressed to say Bronco hasn't set himself up for that one.
                              Why would you expect change next year? There was no change this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X