The "what are you listening to at this very moment" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    I grew up in a house full of girls and so I'm very familiar with the ABBA catalog. I still feel I was tricked into watching Mama Mia the time I saw it.
    While watching that with my wife, I told her that the play/movie was written around the songs. She didn't believe me.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I know this means I'm the uncoolest person on the board, but I'm really digging this new song by U2 they started playing in the recent tour.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        I know this means I'm the uncoolest person on the board, but I'm really digging this new song by U2 they started playing in the recent tour.
        It's a very good song. I heard it live last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          It's a very good song. I heard it live last night

So jealous. How was it? I planned to get to one of the west coast venues but it didn't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            So jealous. How was it? I planned to get to one of the west coast venues but it didn't work out.
            It was very good. Excellent show but as someone pointed out in the concert thread, stadium shows are tough. The sounds echoed a bit. The stage was awesome with the large screen and it was cool to hear the Joshua Tree straight through. Bono even gave a one minute praise to W and Laura Bush for their work with AIDS in Africa. Tickets were expensive but overall it was worth it.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              It was very good. Excellent show but as someone pointed out in the concert thread, stadium shows are tough. The sounds echoed a bit. The stage was awesome with the large screen and it was cool to hear the Joshua Tree straight through. Bono even gave a one minute praise to W and Laura Bush for their work with AIDS in Africa. Tickets were expensive but overall it was worth it.

U2 risked a May outdoor concert in Seattle and got away with it, threatened to rain but never did. With speakers suspended in the rigging, the slightest wind caused the sound to fluctuate. Acoustically, tons of cement, steel, and hard plastic is not ideal. Along with just enjoying a show with me at 50,000 of my closest friends. There is something about having that many people together worshiping singing along.

Even with the acoustically difficult conditions, it was a fantastic show, here's the Seattle setlist below. Couldn't really have asked for more. Being Seattle, as is wont to happen, Eddie Vedder joined Bono on stage for "Mothers of the Disappeared". Unscheduled rendition of "I Will Follow" wrapped up the show, The Edge was bouncing around the stage--and the stadium was rocking. Bono's voice has held up well, I was quite pleasantly surprised. They really seemed to enjoy playing through the older material. The show was political, but I wasn't bothered by it, U2's music has always been political--whether discussing tragedies, historic events, social injustices, or other events they have found moved them enough to write about. There's no separating entertainment from politics for them.

B stage:
              Sunday Bloody Sunday
              New Year's Day
              A Sort of Homecoming (with "America" snippet)
              Bad (with "America" snippet; tour debut)
              Pride (In the Name of Love)

The Joshua Tree (main stage):
              Where the Streets Have No Name (with "California (There Is No… more ))
              I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
              With or Without You
              Bullet the Blue Sky
              Running to Stand Still
              Red Hill Mining Town
              In God's Country
              Trip Through Your Wires
              One Tree Hill
              Exit (with "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" snippet)
              Mothers of the Disappeared (with Eddie Vedder) (also with Mumford & Sons;… more )

Encore:
              Beautiful Day (with "Love, Reign O'er Me" snippet)
              Elevation
              Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (dedicated to women's rights activists)
              One (dedicated to David Wojnarowicz)

B-Stage:
              Miss Sarajevo (Passengers cover) (with "The New Colossus " snippet)
              The Little Things That Give You Away
              I Will Follow (tour debut)

Note: "I Will Follow" was not on the printed setlist. This was the first time "I Will Follow" closed a show since 2 Dec. 1982.

Comment

• Two new albums that are excellent:

Planetarium by Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAllister: It is brilliant. Highly recommend if you like Sufjan Stevens at all. Everything he releases just seems to get better and better.

Relaxer by alt-J: Never listened to much of alt-J, but I'm really digging this new album.

And a new song from Radiohead:

I Promise: This was supposedly left on the cutting room floor when they put together OK Computer. Supposed to be on the remastered version of OK Computer that is coming out soon.

Comment

• Chick-fil-a elevator music

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• U2 covering Leonard Cohen Suzanne as a Bad snippet.

Comment

• sturgill simpson is outstanding
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        sturgill simpson is outstanding
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Heard it a while ago on the Beatles Channel on Sirius/XM and they said that while George Harrison wrote the song, he wasn't satisfied with the way he could play it. So to record the song, they brought in Eric Clapton under a pseudonym since he was contracted to some other studio.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Interesting about Clapton.

Sometimes you hear a song and you think, "Why have I never heard this before? Where was I when this came out originally?" Mad World by Tears for Fears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Heard it a while ago on the Beatles Channel on Sirius/XM and they said that while George Harrison wrote the song, he wasn't satisfied with the way he could play it. So to record the song, they brought in Eric Clapton under a pseudonym since he was contracted to some other studio.
                              Yup. the Beatles did stuff like that often in their studio period. e.g., Billy Preston playing keys on Get Back.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• For all you who don't mock Canada mercilessly, the new Barenaked Ladies album "Fake Nudes" is not too bad. At least half the songs are pretty good, with 3 of them constantly drilling into my brain right now. Here's one of them:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X