Jabari Parker Offered by BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabari Parker Offered by BYU

Sonny Parker, Jabari's dad, confirmed that Dave Rose and an unnamed assistant flew to Chicago in September to extend a scholarship offer to this freshman. Although never having played in a high school game, young phenom Parker is considered a "can't miss" prospect. Sonny Parker acknowledged that Jabari is Mormon and that his faith could play a role in where he goes to school.

I would post a link but the site seems broken.

My wife was Jabari's primary teacher when he was 4 years old ... as a 4 year old he was bigger than most of the 8 year olds in our ward. Not a shock to see that he is considered a can't miss prospect.

Comment

Rockin Robbin's hood, From New York to Compton Me and my three sons, Jabari, Shakir, and Kahsum!
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Is this the kid whose dad played in the NBA?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Is this the kid whose dad played in the NBA?
          Yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_P...8basketball%29
          Parker and his wife, Lola, have seven children. One of their sons, Jabarri, is following in his father's footsteps. As a nine-year-old in 2005, the boy showed enough talent to earn a spot on his school's eighth-grade basketball team, but the school would not let him play with the older children due to liability issues. He now plays with an elite youth travel team.

Comment

He was only 9 in 2005? So he's only 13 now? 14 at the most? This can't be right.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              He was only 9 in 2005? So he's only 13 now? 14 at the most? This can't be right.
              He is going in to his freshman year of highschool, so that is close.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                And we have already offered? Did Dave Rose ad Tim Floyd to the coaching staff?
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

And we have already offered? Did Dave Rose ad Tim Floyd to the coaching staff?
                  This kid has been on the national radar since he was 8 years old. That's why not recruiting his brother was a head scratcher. My guess is that Jabari goes to UNC.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                    This kid has been on the national radar since he was 8 years old. That's why not recruiting his brother was a head scratcher. My guess is that Jabari goes to UNC.
                    He doesn't even have any YouTube vids yet. Did his brother go to Carolina?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Can you even offer someone that early? Seems really early to me.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He doesn't even have any YouTube vids yet. Did his brother go to Carolina?
                        No, last I heard he was headed to Washington, but that was pre-misssion. I haven't heard where he ended up. Chris wasn't nearly the recruit that Jabari is. For one, Chris was 6'1" and Jabari could end up well over 7 feet tall. Also, Chris quit his basketball team his senior year and that pretty much ended his recruitment with BYU. I've spoken with Sonny regarding Jabari and he indicated that Jabari worships the ground Chris walked on. If Chris ended up at BYU he would guess that Jabari might also. But if Chris went anywhere else, UNC has been his long time favorite. This was a few years ago, so things change, but Jabari would fall alseep watching old Carolina games.

As for the videos, I don't know. I have seen several online clips of him over the last couple years. I'll see if I can find some later. What has made him a national recruit is that Sonny has all sorts of connections. He runs alot of the basketball camps in Chicago including the MJ camps and has for years. Jabari has grown up at these camps. Literally. He started playing on a top AAU 7th grade team when he was in the 4th grade. He has always been big for his age, but he plays guard when he's playing with kids older than him and more than holds his own. His growth plates say he very well could end up at 7 feet tall with SG skills. Because his dad is so well connected with coaches all over the country, Jabari has been on the radar since he was very young.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I was just being a sarcastic jerk about the YouTube vids.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Rumor has it that Chris is playing for some small Idaho school (College of Southern Idaho or something). Apparently, he isn't a particularly good player.

For those questioning whether we offered too early. We were the sixth offer from a D-1 program. His offer sheet is already as good as many of our current players.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Rumor has it that Chris is playing for some small Idaho school (College of Southern Idaho or something). Apparently, he isn't a particularly good player.

For those questioning whether we offered too early. We were the sixth offer from a D-1 program. His offer sheet is already as good as many of our current players.
                              Yup, CSI it is...

http://athletics.csi.edu/mensBasketb...ballroster.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X