I don't really know how to introduce this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    The difference, for me, between the two paintings is the use of light and shade and palette in the former to make me look upon a pitiable fellow and feel something resembling sorrow for him, almost empathy.

In McNaughton's, that feeling is not conveyed. The guy looks middle class, not homeless. The palette is not muted. The lighting looks like a Puff Daddy video, and there's not a similar response. I don't think it's all that controversial for him to feel inspiration from these paintings, to even try and subvert their prior symbolism by re-invigorating the debate. But, the art is not as good technically as the original. McNaughton can paint, but he's not really an artist that I identify with at all.
    Well, it's a good example of art vs. kitsch.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      So does he have a new URL? Because http://www.mcnaughtonart.com doesn't get me there anymore.
      Try http://www.jonmcnaughton.com. I'm guessing he had to stop using the other URL because it uses the word "art".

Here is his latest and greatest, Runaway Slave:

"In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

• For some reason, he painted those slaves in what should be Arlington Cemetery. I guess they can't really see where they are going.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I ran across this today. Not sure if it's already been linked in this thread. But someone re-worked the rollover comments on McNaughton's Jesus and the Constitution painting.

Jesus and the Constitution Against the Evil Hordes
          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
              I ran across this today. Not sure if it's already been linked in this thread. But someone re-worked the rollover comments on McNaughton's Jesus and the Constitution painting.

That's hilarious!
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

I ran across this today. Not sure if it's already been linked in this thread. But someone re-worked the rollover comments on McNaughton's Jesus and the Constitution painting.

That's a great find.

Comment

Okay, I didn't have time for this. You just totally fouled up my work day. I hope you're proud of yourself.
                  Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                  --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

lol...Emperor Palpatine...
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      Article in the most recent Sunstone by Robert A. Rees about McNaughton's art as propaganda.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/jon...-propagandist/

It's better online than in print because the pictures are in color.

“The Forgotten Man” by Maynard Dixon

“The Forgotten Man” by Jon McNaughton
                      I'm not a fan of McNaughton by any stretch. But Dixon likely got the name for his paintings from FDR. FDR appropriated the term from Graham William Sumner, who wrote his Forgotten Man essay over 50 years earlier. The original Forgotten Man (Sumner's) is much closer to McNaughton's than he is to FDR's/Dixon's Forgotten Man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        I'm not a fan of McNaughton by any stretch. But Dixon likely got the name for his paintings from FDR. FDR appropriated the term from Graham William Sumner, who wrote his Forgotten Man essay over 50 years earlier. The original Forgotten Man (Sumner's) is much closer to McNaughton's than he is to FDR's/Dixon's Forgotten Man.
                        does McNaughty know that though? Has he read Sumner?
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          does McNaughty know that though? Has he read Sumner?
                          I would guess probably not. I just found the quote that Solon posted interesting, because Rees surely has read Sumner, and knows the origin of the Forgotten Man. Yet he writes McNaughton's appropriation of the title is "ironic" and "troubling" because McNaughton is conveying ideas diametrically opposed to those of Dixon. But it seems Dixon and FDR already appropriated the Forgotten Man from someone with ideas diametrically opposed to them. Double irony!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I would guess probably not. I just found the quote that Solon posted interesting, because Rees surely has read Sumner, and knows the origin of the Forgotten Man. Yet he writes McNaughton's appropriation of the title is "ironic" and "troubling" because McNaughton is conveying ideas diametrically opposed to those of Dixon. But it seems Dixon and FDR already appropriated the Forgotten Man from someone with ideas diametrically opposed to them. Double irony!
                            I think he wrote it that way because it was more probable (almost certain) that McNaughty had seen Dixon's work, whereas it's unlikely that he hasn't read Sumner. That said, it would have been appropriate to include a note stating the origin of the term.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Finally looked at this. Very funny.

Comment

• Cardiac was on this a long time ago. Also, if you keep reading from the linked post, you get a priceless wedding story from RF (God rest his cyber soul).

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...&postcount=162
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X