Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 979

Thread: I don't really know how to introduce this

  1. #31
    Friend of Rodin TheBYUGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    H-town
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    JESUS CHRIST IS THE KING, THE DUNEDAIN HAS RETURNED!
    HE COMES BEARING THE WHITE TREE OF GONDOR!





    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!
    I hate you. My wife just woke up angry at me because I laughed so hard.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woot View Post
    The soldier's name is King, and he replaces the likeness of MLK that was planned. Use of MLK's likeness is closely controlled according to the "artist".
    This is true. A few years ago, Penn State wanted to have a statue of King put up on campus at the spot where he once spoke. King's estate wanted a million dollars to grant permission for the statue. So, the school decided to just put up a plaque with some of the words of the speech. Although the speech was given at the University, and the text was printed in the school paper, King's estate promised to go to court unless the school paid a hefty fee for permissions.

    In a rare display of prudence, Penn State decided that fighting over who "owned' the words King spoke at Penn State ran counter to the sentiments that King was trying to support. So, in the end, nothing was put up. (I heard this from one of PSU's long-time archivists.)

    I'm sure there are reasons other than money for why King's estate apparently acts this way, but King - IMO - is a national figure whose words and likeness should belong to all Americans.

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    MLF got his recognition vicariously through the African-American soldier.
    MLF? That's some typo.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    This is true. A few years ago, Penn State wanted to have a statue of King put up on campus at the spot where he once spoke. King's estate wanted a million dollars to grant permission for the statue. So, the school decided to just put up a plaque with some of the words of the speech. Although the speech was given at the University, and the text was printed in the school paper, King's estate promised to go to court unless the school paid a hefty fee for permissions.

    In a rare display of prudence, Penn State decided that fighting over who "owned' the words King spoke at Penn State ran counter to the sentiments that King was trying to support. So, in the end, nothing was put up. (I heard this from one of PSU's long-time archivists.)

    I'm sure there are reasons other than money for why King's estate apparently acts this way, but King - IMO - is a national figure whose words and likeness should belong to all Americans.



    MLF? That's some typo.
    For some interesting information on the subject see Martin Luther King, Jr., Center for Social Change, Inc. v. American Heritage Products, Inc. This case firmly established a right of publicity in Georgia, and serves to support the case for the same right in other places. The King estate is a vigorous defender of his name and likeness, along with any copyrights he mights own, which include text to speeches (even if they were given at PSU). While MLK may not have profited much from his image while he was alive, the family has made a pretty penny since.

  4. #34
    Friend of Rodin TheBYUGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    H-town
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    I got an e-mail from the artist letting me know about some additions to the second edition of the painting:

    James Garfield – I was notified after the original painting was complete that John F. Kennedy was a Democrat. I didn’t want to remove him from the new painting simply for his erroneous political leanings but would still like to honor him as a heroic assassinated president. James Garfield was the 20th president of the United States and was the second assassinated. More importantly, Garfield the cat was indirectly named after him. Note the orange and black cartoonish cat under his arm, symbolizing wholesome entertainment in America. Also, both the cat and the artist love lasagna.

    William McKinley – 25th president of the United States. Also assassinated.

    Bill Clinton – note the symbolism of the blue dress on the ground in front of him, signifying his failed presidency based on his infidelity with a White House intern.

    Anakin Skywalker – Once seduced by Satan to do evil, he became Darth Vader. But once Satan turned on him, he returned to good and reconciled with his estranged son. Note that he lies on the middle ground between the heroes and villains of America, indicating that only Jesus can truly judge him fairly. The bed on which he lies symbolizes deathbed repentance.

    Mitt Romney – Jesus will appoint Mitt Romney as the 45th President of the United States of America. Mitt will reverse the failed decisions of the Supreme Court and restore greatness to the country. Like the artist, Romney is likely a Cleon Skousen fan.

    Prostitute – represents the moral decay of modern America. She is also symbolic of the infamous harlot Isabel, the first named prostitute in authentic American history records.

    Denethor – once the trusted steward of the throne of Gondor, Denethor committed suicide. It is the view of the artist that suicide is evil.
    Last edited by TheBYUGuy; 10-01-2009 at 07:59 AM.

  5. #35
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,982

    Default

    By the way Solon, that was a terrific find. This is priceless.

    Did you notice the evil professor? I love that smug look on his face.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  6. #36

    Default

    The motif of the space program was particularly poignant.

  7. #37
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,982

    Default

    He says that the fifty stars in the night sky represent the states and "some of the stars shine brighter than others". I wish he would have ranked the good vs. bad states for us.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  8. #38
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I wish he would have ranked the good vs. bad states for us.
    The stars at night, are big and bright



    DEEP IN THE HEART...OF TEXAS!

  9. #39
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    I got an e-mail from the artist letting me know about some additions to the second edition of the painting:

    James Garfield – I was notified after the original painting was complete that John F. Kennedy was a Democrat. I didn’t want to remove him from the new painting simply for his erroneous political leanings but would still like to honor him as a heroic assassinated president. James Garfield was the 20th president of the United States and was the second assassinated. More importantly, Garfield the cat was indirectly named after him. Note the orange and black cartoonish cat under his arm, symbolizing wholesome entertainment in America. Also, both the cat and the artist love lasagna.

    William McKinley – 25th president of the United States. Also assassinated.

    Bill Clinton – note the symbolism of the blue dress on the ground in front of him, signifying his failed presidency based on his infidelity with a White House intern.

    Anakin Skywalker – Once seduced by Satan to do evil, he became Darth Vader. But once Satan turned on him, he returned to good and reconciled with his estranged son. Note that he lies on the middle ground between the heroes and villains of America, indicating that only Jesus can truly judge him fairly. The bed on which he lies symbolizes deathbed repentance.

    Mitt Romney – Jesus will appoint Mitt Romney as the 45th President of the United States of America. Mitt will reverse the failed decisions of the Supreme Court and restore greatness to the country. Like the artist, Romney is likely a Cleon Skousen fan.

    Prostitute – represents the moral decay of modern America. She is also symbolic of the infamous harlot Isabel, the first named prostitute in authentic American history records.

    Denethor – once the trusted steward of the throne of Gondor, Denethor committed suicide. It is the view of the artist that suicide is evil.
    The Garfield one is clever.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  10. #40
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,345

    Default The Seventh Son

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    By the way Solon, that was a terrific find. This is priceless.

    Did you notice the evil professor? I love that smug look on his face.
    That's pretty much how I always look. I also try and put myself on the same steps as Jesus whenever possible because I can heal the sick, raise the dead, and make the little girls talk out of their heads, cause I'm the One.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  11. #41
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    You know this guy seriously considered putting Glen Beck in there somewhere.
    I think the Skousen book in the student's hand counts as a Glenn Beck reference. He's like the Skousen incarnation for our times. Mixed with the KZHT Morning Zoo Crew.

  12. #42
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,067

    Default

    Why does '"mormon art" have to always be so kitschy and embarrassing? I saw a huge print of this in the BYU book store, but didn't even give it a second look. Only through the magic of the internets have I been able to examine how retarded some people are. I'm going to be very angry with this artist if someone I love ends up with a print of this painting.

  13. #43
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Why does '"mormon art" have to always be so kitschy and embarrassing? I saw a huge print of this in the BYU book store, but didn't even give it a second look. Only through the magic of the internets have I been able to examine how retarded some people are. I'm going to be very angry with this artist if someone I love ends up with a print of this painting.
    There is Mormon art that is pretty cool IMO. I like the art issue of the Ensign. However, the cool art to which I refer seems to be produced outside the US. I don't know what that means.

    But you're right, some of it is awful. I can't stand Simon Dewey's work and his romance novel Jesus. For our wedding Gidget's ex-fiance's parents gave us a Simon Dewey coffee table book. I cringed. It's not even something we could re-gift because I'm too embarrassed to give that away. I have no clue where that book ended up.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  14. #44
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    There is Mormon art that is pretty cool IMO. I like the art issue of the Ensign. However, the cool art to which I refer seems to be produced outside the US. I don't know what that means.

    But you're right, some of it is awful. I can't stand Simon Dewey's work and his romance novel Jesus. For our wedding Gidget's ex-fiance's parents gave us a Simon Dewey coffee table book. I cringed. It's not even something we could re-gift because I'm too embarrassed to give that away. I have no clue where that book ended up.
    Thinking of bad religious art, the Jehovah's Witnesses stuff stands out to me.

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Thinking of bad religious art, the Jehovah's Witnesses stuff stands out to me.
    Much popular LDS art is every bit as bad as the J-Dub work.

  16. #46
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Much popular LDS art is every bit as bad as the J-Dub work.
    It isn't the first thing we introduce to people though. Theirs is always front and center.

  17. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    There is Mormon art that is pretty cool IMO. I like the art issue of the Ensign. However, the cool art to which I refer seems to be produced outside the US. I don't know what that means.

    But you're right, some of it is awful. I can't stand Simon Dewey's work and his romance novel Jesus. For our wedding Gidget's ex-fiance's parents gave us a Simon Dewey coffee table book. I cringed. It's not even something we could re-gift because I'm too embarrassed to give that away. I have no clue where that book ended up.
    If you still have it, I will take it off your hands. I can think of several people I would love to give it to who will really agonize over whether it is meant as a joke or not.

  18. #48
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    If you still have it, I will take it off your hands. I can think of several people I would love to give it to who will really agonize over whether it is meant as a joke or not.
    I'll ask Gidget about it. Seriously. Though I think they penned a dedication inside of the cover to us about keeping Christ central in our marriage or something. That may add to the value itself.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Much popular LDS art is every bit as bad as the J-Dub work.
    The J-Dub Jesus looks like Non from Superman II.

  20. #50
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    I have never had any desire to have Christian art in my home. However, at a gallery in Park City I saw an original drawing by Bloch that I coveted.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  21. #51

    Default

    We have some Christian art, all of it extremely cheap icons from various European churches.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

  22. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    So here ya go.

    A friend of mine just sent me this link. Be sure to read the scrollover explanations.

    http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork...tpiece_id=353#
    Maybe the folks at Huffington Post read CUF.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_311912.html
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

  23. #53
    Resident Science Cop woot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,538

    Default

    This also hit Pharyngula, the most popular science blog on the web, yesterday.

  24. #54
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woot View Post
    This also hit Pharyngula, the most popular science blog on the web, yesterday.
    I better pick up a copy before they're all snatched up.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  25. #55

    Default

    LOL.. This is funny.. I was just at the Provo Mall the other day, and this painting was on fine display, front and center, at a gallery (not sure if it was his gallery or just a display gallery) on the 2nd floor by Sears. I stood there and stared at it for 10 minutes shaking my head and giggling. I then rounded up my people who were there with me (in laws family photos.. yipee) to partake in the giggling and shaking of heads at the painting. Head on over to the mall to see this painting live!

  26. #56

    Default

    Phew, that's a lotta hate heaped on one insignificant guy who drew a picture.

    This is an example of religious art that I like.


  27. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Phew, that's a lotta hate heaped on one insignificant guy who drew a picture.

    This is an example of religious art that I like.

    Not hate, just shake your head funny.. At least from me. It was well drawn, I'll give him that.

  28. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm not afraid to say that this thing is a certified piece of [censored].
    I was referring to comments like this one.

  29. #59
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    I was referring to comments like this one.
    Well I would have to say that the comment you quoted is an example of hate piled upon a piece of art, but not upon the artist.

  30. #60
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    There is a lot of squandered space at the top of this painting. I think having SuperDell swooping in on his paraglider thing while brandishing some semi-automatic weapons would be a nice touch. Wasn't there a thread with suggested additions? Someone here with Photoshop skills needs to get on this!
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •