No announcement yet.

I don't really know how to introduce this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Adam came up with the best term to describe this stuff: shart.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Is anyone else here a fan of Minerva Teichert? I am. One of my neighbors was the model for her Queen Ester painting and has stories. Sounds like Minerva was great lady.

“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        Is anyone else here a fan of Minerva Teichert? I am. One of my neighbors was the model for her Queen Ester painting and has stories. Sounds like Minerva was great lady.
        I like her. They had a nice exhibit on her work last year in the BYU MOA. I was impressed with her bio.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

One of my Teichert faves:

“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
            What does this mean? That's the UN building, right? Jesus is knocking it down? Jesus is asking for cultural attaches? Jesus is speaking to all the nations?
            Baaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Comment

One of my Teichert faves:

I struggle with this one. It is one of the cooler non-traditional bits of Mo Art, but it is also a blatant attempt at some sort of impressionist hybrid.

I do find myself enjoying her stuff. I wish my in-laws had more of her stuff and less of Thomas Kinky-ade's shart.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I struggle with this one. It is one of the cooler non-traditional bits of Mo Art, but it is also a blatant attempt at some sort of impressionist hybrid.

I do find myself enjoying her stuff. I wish my in-laws had more of her stuff and less of Thomas Kinky-ade's shart.
                The cornball portion of my heart (and that part is large) notes happily that in this one, the lamb Jesus is holding is black.

I can't stand Kinkaide. (sp?)
                ― W.H. Auden

Comment

The cornball portion of my heart (and that part is large) notes happily that in this one, the lamb Jesus is holding is black.

I can't stand Kinkaide. (sp?)
                  I think she painted it post-1978.

Why are you still at work? Get out of there and go to the stadium. The traffic is going to be killer. I use a secret way right by Philippe's. I never even get on the freeway.

sigpic

Comment

I will cop to having a Greg Olsen in my home. It was actually expensive (compared to an 8 1/2" x 11" print that I've framed by myself) but I quite like it - there was a reason behind the choice.

Other than that one thing, I'm not much for the Church art stuff. I don't mind some of Liz Lemon Swindle's stuff and I would like Greg Olsen more if he didn't use the same palette for everything. But for the most part the art in my home is not church related.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I think she painted it post-1978.

Why are you still at work? Get out of there and go to the stadium. The traffic is going to be killer. I use a secret way right by Philippe's. I never even get on the freeway.
                      My wife is coming to pick me up. Any minute now. The Goodyear blimp is circling the stadium, which I can see from my office. Good times.

I need to learn your secret way. I go through Chinatown.
                      ― W.H. Auden

Comment

My wife is coming to pick me up. Any minute now. The Goodyear blimp is circling the stadium, which I can see from my office. Good times.

I need to learn your secret way. I go through Chinatown.
                        very similar. I go up Ord to Yale, turn right to Alpine. turn left on Alpine, go over the 110 overpass, make a right onto Fig Terrace. Go one block to College and make a right. Make your first left and take that to stadium way. Presto! sounds confusing but it is actually pretty easy.

sigpic

Comment

J-Dub art is scary. Everyone is angry and all the men have facial hair.

btw, here is a recent example of the J-Dubs co-opting our phraseology in an effort to be cooler. They never used to say "Heavenly Father." They always say, "Jehovah God."

I get quite sick of the JWs

On my mission in Spain, we saw quite a change in the way the JW men in Spain dressed when they went out to do their missionary work.

When I first arrived, they wore colored shirts, mostly pastels. Which were in vogue at the time in Spain. Generally, the men did not wear ties. A few months into my mission, they were all wearing ties.

By about a year into my mission, they started wearing only white shirts with ties. Sound familiar.

By the time I left, they were wearing white shirts, ties...and guess what? They were wearing name tags. Black ones. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post

Other than that one thing, I'm not much for the Church art stuff. I don't mind some of Liz Lemon Swindle's stuff and I would like Greg Olsen more if he didn't use the same palette for everything.
                            I love that Liz Lemon. She's hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                              I get quite sick of the JWs

On my mission in Spain, we saw quite a change in the way the JW men in Spain dressed when they went out to do their missionary work.

When I first arrived, they wore colored shirts, mostly pastels. Which were in vogue at the time in Spain. Generally, the men did not wear ties. A few months into my mission, they were all wearing ties.

By about a year into my mission, they started wearing only white shirts with ties. Sound familiar.

By the time I left, they were wearing white shirts, ties...and guess what? They were wearing name tags. Black ones. Lovely.
                              They used to intentionally tract out the missionaries in Japan to break in the newbies. But they were lightweights in a debate.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

There is a large Minerva Teichert painting of Christ on a boat hanging above the fireplace in the foyer of my childhood ward. It's a beautiful painting, I need to try and get a print of it for my home someday.
                                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Working...
                                X