"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    I think we would all love to see the younger players getting more minutes, but I think that, overall, Corbin has done a pretty good job at mixing in the young with the old:
    Hayward: 28 minutes a game (about right)
    Favors: 21 minutes a game (like to see it around 28 right now)
    Burks: 11 minutes a game (like to see it in the 15 minute range)
    Kanter: 14 minutes a game (about right)

For 4 guys that are all under the age of 22, thats some pretty good action.
    The problem with Burks 11 mpg is that it's not happening every night, like the others. A consistent 11 mpg would be better than what he's getting.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      The problem with Burks 11 mpg is that it's not happening every night, like the others. A consistent 11 mpg would be better than what he's getting.
      Exactly. In fact, if not for some timely injuries to Howard and Bell, that number would look more like 2-4 minutes per. If the other wings are healthy, Burks doesn't play.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by UteStar View Post
        I think we would all love to see the younger players getting more minutes, but I think that, overall, Corbin has done a pretty good job at mixing in the young with the old:
        Hayward: 28 minutes a game (about right)
        Favors: 21 minutes a game (like to see it around 28 right now)
        Burks: 11 minutes a game (like to see it in the 15 minute range)
        Kanter: 14 minutes a game (about right)

For 4 guys that are all under the age of 22, thats some pretty good action.
        Like MG said, Burks playing every night would be a big difference, even if his mpg stayed the same.

The major killer for me still is Favors. Last year with the Jazz he played 20.2 mpg. This year he's at 20.7. That is unacceptable in every possible way, especially since it is clear that he worked on his post game, his jumper, his FTs...he's got a long way to go but he's improved and yet his minutes haven't.

Comment

• I have to wonder, WHEN the Jazz dip below .500, will Corbin will throw caution to the wind and play his future core more minutes? I hope so but I seriously doubt it.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            I don't know how to react. I don't get overly upset because they are meeting my expectations. Unfortunately, those expectations included the conclusion that the young guys wouldn't get enough playing time as long as too many mediocre-to-good veterans were on the team.
            This is partly why I feel a mix of apathy and frustration with how this season has gone so far:

2008-09 OKC Thunder

Kevin Durant, age 20, 39 mpg
            Jeff Green, age 22, 38 mpg
            Russell Westrbrook, age 20, 32.5 mpg
            Thabo Sefalosha, age 24, 31 mpg

Their 4 youngest rotation players played the most minutes. The team won 23 games. They got a high lottery pick (James Harden) and Serge Ibaka (from previous draft), and those two 20 year old players immediately played 20 mpg as rookies. The 09-10 Thunder won 50 games.

2010-11 Indiana Pacers

Darren Collison age 23, 30 mpg
            Roy Hibbert, age 23, 28 mpg
            Paul George, age 20, 21 mpg
            Tyler Hansbrough, age 24 (but only 2nd season), 21 mpg

They won 37 games, got their young core big minutes, made a significant free agent signing, and are now 16-7 with Collison, George, and Hibbert all at 30 mpg and Hansbrough up to 24.

2011-12 Minnnesota Timberwolves

Kevin Love, age 23, 39 mpg
            Ricky Rubio, age 21, 34 mpg
            Michael Beasley, age 23, 28 mpg
            Wesley Johnson, age 24, 22 mpg
            Wayne Ellington, age 24, 20 mpg
            Derrick Williams, age 20, 18 mpg

They're 12-12.

Clearly there are very important differences between those 3 examples and where Utah is this year, but some parallels can probably be drawn with each. Yes, it's easier to let a guy like Durant play 39 mpg when he's already a stud at 20. But they were willing to get their young core significant experience in trade for improving their fortunes in the very near future. How much better would we feel about next year if Favors and Hayward were getting 30+ mpg, Kanter and Burks were at 20+ each night, and we knew that at the very least there was one more high lottery pick coming in a good draft? And for all we know maybe Favors would be putting up 18, 10, and 2 as a 20 yo big if he was getting 35 mpg consistently and was more of a focus on offense.

The Pacers might be the closest example because they had guys like Granger and Dunleavy who still played a lot, they made a coaching change to an unproven coach midseason, and they had some young guys who looked promising but definitely hadn't (and still haven't) reached star status. But they played the young guys, saw where their roster needed improving, added David West and traded for George Hill, and along with Philly are surprised the league this year. I think Utah is actually better off right now than it seemed Indiana was last year because of having more young talent, amnesty provision, expiring contracts, and potentially two lottery picks.

Aside from just getting Hayward, Favors, Burks, and Kanter time on the court so they can progress and reach their relative ceilings much faster, I think the team has to let them play so they 1) can get a better handle on what they have headed into this off-season, and 2) so those young players' value goes up in the eyes of other teams. This draft is going to be incredibly important for the future, as is the team's use of the amnesty provision, whether they use Memo's trade exception, and how they manage possible trades. As the ship is currently being sailed I don't think the organization is putting itself in the best position to make the biggest improvement possible over the next 2-3 years. Instead, Greg Miller is more concerned about a retired player and winning another meaningless February game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
              I have to wonder, WHEN the Jazz dip below .500, will Corbin will throw caution to the wind and play his future core more minutes? I hope so but I seriously doubt it.
              No. The only question become whether KOC moves some guys that forces him to.

Comment

I have to wonder, WHEN the Jazz dip below .500, will Corbin will throw caution to the wind and play his future core more minutes? I hope so but I seriously doubt it.
                I think when they dip far below .500 it might prompt the Jazz to deal Bell to a contending team (and luckily Bell's shooting has picked up so he'll look more appealing) or to move Jefferson or Millsap.

Players getting hurt or being dealt is the only way I see the minutes changing significantly the rest of the way.

Comment

I think Corbin has done a pretty good job overall this season, but I'm convinced he doesn't have the stones to make the tough decisions. Such as...benching Harris in favor of Watson, benching either Miles or Bell in order to play Burks consistent minutes, reducing the minutes of Sap and Jefferson in order to play Favors 25-30 minutes, etc. Doing any of those things, while not hurting the team in the present, and helping the team in the future, would hurt feelings, and I don't think Corbin can pull the trigger.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    I think Corbin has done a pretty good job overall this season, but I'm convinced he doesn't have the stones to make the tough decisions. Such as...benching Harris in favor of Watson, benching either Miles or Bell in order to play Burks consistent minutes, reducing the minutes of Sap and Jefferson in order to play Favors 25-30 minutes, etc. Doing any of those things, while not hurting the team in the present, and helping the team in the future, would hurt feelings, and I don't think Corbin can pull the trigger.
                    Corbin has definitely improved. While his rotations need tweaking he's definitely put his stamp on the team. They are actually running guys off the 3 pt line (most nights) and that in and of itself is a miracle. Although some nights the guards forget the new defense, the decision to turn the guards baseline as opposed to towards the middle has also proven effective at times. It helps also that we have a group of legitimate if yet undervalued shotblockers/rim protectors on the team.

Right now Corbin's biggest issue is dealing with a lack of talent in the backcourt as all 3 PGs are unable to keep up with any semblance of speed in the opposition and the twos are either old or apathetic on defense. BUT, this is the primary reason why Burks should get at minimum 5-6 a night at the 1 in addition to another 10-15 at the 2. The kid can play defense but doesn't get the chance to show it. You need someone to stay in front of Ty Lawson, CP3, Jeremy Freakin Lin? By all means keep throwing Devin Harris at them.

And yes I agree that while he's no world beater, Watson has proven his ability to run this team on offense while Harris continues to struggle to do anything positive.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Second night of b2b on the road against Indy. This should be embarrassing by halftime.

Comment

• Hey... I turned on the game just now, and 4.5 minutes in and the Jazz aren't down 12! That's an improvement!

Comment

• Hibbert is abusing the Jazz down low.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            Hibbert is abusing the Jazz down low.
                            Put in the UnderKanter to push him around.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              Hibbert is abusing the Jazz down low.
                              I wish we had Fess to counter his production.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Now let's see who can get up shots faster between CJ and Howard.

Comment

Working...
                                X