"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I don't understand this point of view at all. So the Jazz become one of the teams that's always waiting for potential to cash in, only when it does finally become mature and ready to explode the player no longer wants to be in SLC.

I'd much rather be a fan of a playoff team, even a low seed, than a team that is always thinking the next crop of high draft picks is going to be the group that saves them. It seems that perpetually the same teams are always in the lottery, IMO I'd rather the Jazz don't become one of those teams.
    I agree, and the Jazz don't want to have a losing culture.

The Jazz need to make the playoffs from a financial standpoint as well, this team will probably break even, but if they make the playoffs, they can make a profit, even though LHM has said the Jazz aren't intended as a big profit maker.
    Last edited by UtahJazzFan88; 01-18-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      What makes you think Evans should play at the 3? He only scores on dunks. He may be thin, but he is best at defense blocking shots close to the rim.
      I agree, he is a terrifically talented jumper. If that is your definition of athlete, then is is one of the best in the league. And I am baffled that he did not put up dominant stats at W Kentucky.

I understand that he will likely never excel against starter quality big men in the league. What makes you think he'd excel at the 3?

You're still questioning my basketball IQ? Wasn't I the one a month ago who said this team would win more than half its games and be in the playoffs? Glad you are finally on board.

I'll humor myself and address your question.

Evans would thrive at the 3 for the same reasons that AK did, namely defense and his ability to play the high post.

Evans is a good defender, not quite great, but has the potential to be named to the All-Defensive Team. He needs to add 20 lbs to handle most 3s in the post, but most 3s in the NBA lack any kind of post game. (See Lebron) Evans is the perfect fit for the 3 in the flex offense. He's a good passer, he rebounds (and throws down) exceptionally well from the high post, and his post moves are decent. Again, with some weight and a solid post game, Evans would be a mismatch for most teams.

Most importantly, Evans at the 3 allows Hayward to play his natural position.

Comment

• Originally posted by SloanHater View Post

You're still questioning my basketball IQ? Wasn't I the one a month ago who said this team would win more than half its games and be in the playoffs? Glad you are finally on board.

I'll humor myself and address your question.

Evans would thrive at the 3 for the same reasons that AK did, namely defense and his ability to play the high post.

Evans is a good defender, not quite great, but has the potential to be named to the All-Defensive Team. He needs to add 20 lbs to handle most 3s in the post, but most 3s in the NBA lack any kind of post game. (See Lebron) Evans is the perfect fit for the 3 in the flex offense. He's a good passer, he rebounds (and throws down) exceptionally well from the high post, and his post moves are decent. Again, with some weight and a solid post game, Evans would be a mismatch for most teams.

Most importantly, Evans at the 3 allows Hayward to play his natural position.
        You just described why he should play the four.

Comment

You just described why he should play the four.
          I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about.

He could play the 4 in 4 years with 40 lbs. He can play the 3 right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about.

He could play the 4 in 4 years with 40 lbs. He can play the 3 right now.
            You said he'd be a good 3 because he plays well in the high post. That position on the Jazz is occupied by the 4 and the 5. I'm guessing you watch the games, so I am surprised you think the 3 fills this roll on the Jazz.

A 3 needs to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot. Evans hasn't shown any of these skills despite your claim that he is a good passer. We have no reason to think Evans would be even a passable defender on the wing. You talked about his posting up, the high post, and his defending the post. These are all attributes of a solid player at the 4. This is why I'm still confused as to why you think he'd be a good 3, having only described the attributes that would make him good at the 4.

We don't need to argue this further, as there is no chance that Corbin plays Evans at the 3 and moves him away from the basket.

Comment

A 3 needs to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot. Evans hasn't shown any of these skills despite your claim that he is a good passer. We have no reason to think Evans would be even a passable defender on the wing. You talked about his posting up, the high post, and his defending the post. These are all attributes of a solid player at the 4. This is why I'm still confused as to why you think he'd be a good 3, having only described the attributes that would make him good at the 4.
              That would be my take as well. I love the kid, but he has no skill whatsoever.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• btw, here's ESPN's scouting report:

+ Rail-thin, pogo-leaping forward who excels on alley-oop plays.

+ Appears to have bad hands and few other basketball skills.

+ Mobility makes him defensive plus but lacks strength to guard post.

Jerry Sloan had a pretty good strategy for how to take advantage of Evans' skills: He would check into a game late in the third quarter, and almost immediately Sloan would call an alley-oop for him. Often that would be his only basket of the game.

A pogo stick in search of a game, not to mention a muscle or two, Evans is trying to build a niche as a bench energy guy. His 66.1 percent shooting mark stands out, but it's on only 115 attempts, so the jury remains out on whether he can be a rotation player. He rarely scored besides the dunks, fumbled passes, and had a very poor rebound rate for an alleged energizer. Additionally, he can't be used against post-up 4s because of his complete and total lack of muscle.
                I don't see a heck of a lot to disgree with. There's just not much you can do with the kid at this point.

Comment

• Jazz currently tied for 2nd in the west, and they have a very favorable schedule for the next 7 days. Dallas tonight at home after Dallas played last night and didn't get into SLC until 3 am. Then a day off before a home game against Minnesota, who will have played in LA the night before. Then it is 3 days off for the Jazz, before playing a Toronto team that will be playing its 3rd road game in 4 nights. The Jazz probably should win at least their next 3 games, putting their little run at 12-2 since looking so horrible those opening two games.

Can't beat those 3 days off and extra practice being built in to what has already been kind of a soft schedule. I haven't looked ahead to see when the scheduling gods get pay back. But it will be interesting to see how the team defense looks after an extra few days to work on it in practice.

Comment

• Bought lower bowl baseline seats to the Raptors game next Wednesday. Looked at possibly going to the Timberwolves game on Saturday until I looked on ticket sites and noticed how expensive they are, I guess Rubio/Love are hot tickets?

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahJazzFan88 View Post
                      Bought lower bowl baseline seats to the Raptors game next Wednesday. Looked at possibly going to the Timberwolves game on Saturday until I looked on ticket sites and noticed how expensive they are, I guess Rubio/Love are hot tickets?
                      Not Love, just Rubio!

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahJazzFan88 View Post
                        Bought lower bowl baseline seats to the Raptors game next Wednesday. Looked at possibly going to the Timberwolves game on Saturday until I looked on ticket sites and noticed how expensive they are, I guess Rubio/Love are hot tickets?
                        Rubio is definitely becoming a hot ticket item. I haven't seen them play on tv, but the highlights make them look like an exciting young team to watch. I wonder if it will translate in to MN winning over the long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                          Jazz currently tied for 2nd in the west, and they have a very favorable schedule for the next 7 days. Dallas tonight at home after Dallas played last night and didn't get into SLC until 3 am. Then a day off before a home game against Minnesota, who will have played in LA the night before. Then it is 3 days off for the Jazz, before playing a Toronto team that will be playing its 3rd road game in 4 nights. The Jazz probably should win at least their next 3 games, putting their little run at 12-2 since looking so horrible those opening two games.

Can't beat those 3 days off and extra practice being built in to what has already been kind of a soft schedule. I haven't looked ahead to see when the scheduling gods get pay back. But it will be interesting to see how the team defense looks after an extra few days to work on it in practice.

I suspect we will look good until the massive amount of road games in Feb and March, and we will finish just outside the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                            I suspect we will look good until the massive amount of road games in Feb and March, and we will finish just outside the playoffs.
                            I've been feeling like this for a while, what with the schedule and the fact that we seem to be getting every team w/o its best player and all. But I'm actually starting to think this team looks like a playoff team. 7 seed at best, but right now I feel like it's going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              btw, here's ESPN's scouting report:

I don't see a heck of a lot to disgree with. There's just not much you can do with the kid at this point.
                              That's almost word for word what I said and the reason he has transitioned to the 3.

He is the perfect compliment to Howard. Howard can create his own shot, but is a less than stellar defender.

I'm not shocked that you and Jacob are in agreement based on your understanding of the game.

Evans will get to work almost immediately, as he’ll be on a flight for Utah on Friday to begin further plans for the summer – which should likely consist of a summer league run with the Jazz.

WKU’s all-time leading shot blocker, Evans told the Daily News earlier this month that he had been working on changing positions – from his natural power forward/center position in college to the small forward spot. He had been working with famed athletic trainer Tim Grover in Chicago, and had gained nearly eight pounds of muscle to a rather lean frame. Listed at 6-9, 196 pounds as a senior at WKU – the biggest knock on Evans was his overall weight and bulk. But, apparently, his length and athleticism was enough for Utah to take a shot at No. 55.
                              http://bgdnwkublog.wordpress.com/201...ft-experience/

Comment

Chad Ford just said that the hype on this draft is dying down and he thinks that last year's draft may have been deeper. This has cooled my excitement for 2 more draft picks this year.
                                I don't know what ford means by saying the hype for the next draft is dying. I think with how some rookies are playing so far it does look like last year's draft was pretty deep. And while this 2012 draft was supposed to be both deep and star heavy, it still seems to me that at the very least this draft is easily more top heavy than last year.

But again I'm not sure what he's hearing or seeing that would equate to a drop off in positive outlook for the '12 draft. Coming into the year the guys that were sure bets to be at the top were Davis, Drummond, Barnes, Sullinger, and Jones. Davis has actually exceeded the huge expectations for him. Sullinger isn't a guy that is going to move up or way down, he is what he is. Barnes has drastically improved his shooting numbers, including a 10% increase from 3pt range, and his scoring is up even though his mpg is down 3. Drummond was considered a massive talent with a questionable motor; no change. Jones was considered a massive talent with a questionable motor; no change, though his numbers are up across the board and his team looks great.

But beyond those 5, Thomas Robinson has gone from a guy scouts looked at as Paul Millsap to being considered a top 5 pick. Jeremy Lamb looked great with Teams USA and he's excelling with Walker gone from UConn. Cody Zeller wasn't even on the radar but he's in everyone's top 20. Kidd-Gilchrist at Kentucky as exceeded expectations so far. John Henson has shown a better jumper and post moves and put on a bit more weight, two big question marks for him last year. Tyler Zeller, Mason Plumlee, and Terrence Jones should be considered to have similar value as they would have before this season started, if not a bit higher for Plumlee.

And then on top of that you've still got those high potential guys that may or may not come out like Quincy Miller, Terrence Ross, Bradley Beal, and Wroten, jr. I'm not sure what the international prospects are rated at right now, and there have been some disappointments in college so far, with Austin Rivers, James McAdoo, and Adonis Thomas.

But to me this draft still seems like a dream to have two lottery picks. The big downside is the lack of PG prospects, a huge need for Utah. But that's why I was hoping for one of those picks and Harris to get moved for a better point.

Comment

Working...
                                X