"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
    And I'm not sure about your recollection regarding Al's results vs Pau. The game earlier this year didn't turn out well. Also, Locke has some stats that showed career matchups between Al and Pau. It didn't look so good for Al.
    I wasn't talking about the game this year so much as the games last year. But my recollection is definitely off, as he was basically abused in 3 of the 4 matchups last year. Guess his one good performance stood out more than the others in my mind. ha.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      The big matchups were interesting last night. I typically think of Sap as a liability against the Lakers, but last night he was able to take Pau out on the floor and really exploit him.
      Paul has really worked on his face up game and really blew by Gasol on a couple of occasions (not a particularly difficult task but he also avoided getting blocked on the backside which is great). It was nice to see that from a guy I thought wouldn't be able to incorporate the moves of 3 while playing against a 4/5.

He's been steady but I still lament his size.

As corny as it sounds I was proud of the Jazz effort last night. This team has very little identity but in the span of just 2 weeks their defensive effort and overall understanding has really improved. Their confidence is off the charts as well which is great for a young team.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
        The most disappointing aspect of the post match-ups was when Al and Favors were in the game together, Pau was guarding Al and Walton was on Favors. It took three possessions by finally Favors got a post against Walton...and then the Jazz didn't go back to it. IIRC, during that span when Al/Favors v. Pau/Walton were on the court, Jefferson had 5 post-ups against Gasol.

Not only is Favors not getting time, the team throws him 1 bone on a post up each time he's in and then he's asked to act like Biedrins or Chandler the rest of the time, no matter who is guarding him. Favors clearly has a ways to go with his individual offense, but I think he's showed remarkable improvement from last year to this in terms of patience, post moves, and his jumper. Get the kid some consistent touches and see what he can do. We all know Jefferson can score 20 and lose. Let's see what can become of a team when Favors has a fire under his butt.
        Unexpectedly I really like seeing Favors and Kanter on the floor at the same time. It limits the team offensively but I like our odds inside on the defensive end.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Why hasn't anyone criticized Jerry Corbin for not calling a timeout and drawing up a final play in the Lakers game?

Or the fact that the Jazz look lost against a zone?

Where was Evans? He should have been guarding Kobe.

Corbin is a terrible coach. It's going to be a long 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            Why hasn't anyone criticized Jerry Corbin for not calling a timeout and drawing up a final play in the Lakers game?

You hated Jerry and you hate Corbin thats odd. Who do you think is a good NBA coach and would be acceptable hire for the Jazz?
            *Banned*

Comment

Why hasn't anyone criticized Jerry Corbin for not calling a timeout and drawing up a final play in the Lakers game?
              Becuase it's not a big deal.

They haven't seen much zone this year, so you'd expect a bit of difficulty, especially given our lack of shooters.

Is this a joke?

Maybe. But we won't get to that conclusion based on your logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Becuase it's not a big deal.
                The not calling a TO was a very Jerry thing to do. Though I think it works better with some experience at the point. Jerry would a lot of times just let Deron go in those situations, thinking that he would capitalize on those possessions and a TO would only give the defense more time to prep for what they were going to run. It's a little tougher sell with a less experience team (I guess you could say Harris has experience, but not much in what we're running), and as we saw they look very confused.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  You hated Jerry and you hate Corbin thats odd. Who do you think is a good NBA coach and would be acceptable hire for the Jazz?
                  Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
                  Best options to replace Corbin:

1. Jeff Van Gundy
                  2. Bill Laimbeer
                  3. Any College Coach
                  4. Any High School Coach
                  5. Jerry Sloan
                  I thought Phil Johnson would have been a great coach for the Jazz. He should get more credit than he does. Unfortunately MarkGrace was right about the old guys going out together.

I think there is a lot of great talent, coaching wise, at the college level right now. It's always a gamble though.

I would add Self to my list and think he would be a good fit for the Jazz.

Comment

I thought Phil Johnson would have been a great coach for the Jazz. He should get more credit than he does. Unfortunately MarkGrace was right about the old guys going out together.
                    Phil Johnson said after the game that he doesn't like to call a time out in a situation like that because it allows the other team to set up defense, especially a good defensive team like the Lakers.

You should cross him off your list of guys.

Bill Self would be awesome, when was the last time a marginally successful coach at a top 5 all time college basketball program failed transitioning to the NBA?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Phil Johnson said after the game that he doesn't like to call a time out in a situation like that because it allows the other team to set up defense, especially a good defensive team like the Lakers.

You should cross him off your list of guys.

Bill Self would be awesome, when was the last time a marginally successful coach at a top 5 all time college basketball program failed transitioning to the NBA?

Phil ran a different offense and everyone knew what they were doing. Hell, the other team always knew what the Jazz were going to do. The players have looked completely lost in this new motion-flex and even more lost when facing a zone. Corbin should have called a timeout.

As for Self, I agree. You hate to take a chance on a guy that has coached a ton of NBA talent and left every program better than he found it.

Comment

As for Self, I agree. You hate to take a chance on a guy that has coached a ton of NBA talent and left every program better than he found it.
                        Except the one he is at now.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Except the one he is at now.

Except for the fact that he has a higher winning percentage, more conference tournament championships, and more NCAA championships than Roy Williams (his predecessor) did at Kansas.

Comment

Except for the fact that he has a higher winning percentage, more conference tournament championships, and more NCAA championships than Roy Williams (his predecessor) did at Kansas.
                            Looks like he's also given them a lot more first round exits and nearly the same amount of second round exits.

No worries though, one thing I know for sure is that the Jazz could hire Bill Self, based entirely off your recommendation, and following their first string of basketball that wasn't as good as you think it should be you'd be talking about how much he sucks and the 20 other guys that would do a better job.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Looks like he's also given them a lot more first round exits and nearly the same amount of second round exits.

No worries though, one thing I know for sure is that the Jazz could hire Bill Self, based entirely off your recommendation, and following their first string of basketball that wasn't as good as you think it should be you'd be talking about how much he sucks and the 20 other guys that would do a better job.
                              Now you just look silly.

You stated that Self hadn't improved the Kansas program. Winning a NCAA National Title IS improvement.

I have always contended that the Jazz should have gotten rid of Sloan after his poor Finals performance. Promoting Corbin, who has only been an assistant to Sloan, was not my idea of change. The Jazz need new blood.

As for your criticism of Self, I'm not sure what you're even disputing. Are you really saying that you think Corbin is a better coach than Self?

Even though Self has WAY more experience as a head coach. Not to mention that Self has WAY more experience developing young talent. Not to mention that Self is the Urban Meyer of college basketball.

Sure Self may turn down the offer, but the Jazz could (and SHOULD) at least make the offer.
                              Last edited by SloanHater; 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Now you just look silly.

You stated that Self hadn't improved the Kansas program. Winning a NCAA National Title IS improvement.

I have always contended that the Jazz should have gotten rid of Sloan after his poor Finals performance. Promoting Corbin, who has only been an assistant to Sloan, was not my idea of change. The Jazz need new blood.

As for your criticism of Self, I'm not sure what you're even disputing.

Are you really saying that you think Corbin is a better coach than Self?

Even though Self has WAY more experience as a head coach. Not to mention that Self has WAY more experience developing young talent. Not to mention that Self is the Urban Meyer of basketball.

Sure Self may turn down the offer, but the Jazz could at least make the offer.
                                I'm used to looking silly, I guess you haven't seen any pictures of me.

Bill Self has coached as many NBA games Tyrone Corbin had when he was hired. I did neglect to mention that Self was the Urban Meyer of basketball, that was silly of me. Look how many NFL teams are dying to hire Urban Meyer, or even a lesser college coach like say Nick Saban.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X