Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SportUTE View Post
    Compared to who? Wrubbel?
    Please don't make us bring up the U pbp guy....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      Burks is a better shooter than Brewer. His stroke is a lot better and he actually shot 35% as a freshman from the 3 an just under 30% last year. He will have to shoot better than he did last year or else teams will start sagging off of him, but IMO his form and game look smooth enough that you think those percentages can increase. IMO outside shooting is one skill that can be developed.
      His 83% from the FT line is also promising as they tends to be a decent indicator for potential as at least a midrange shooter. Brewer never got close to a mark like that as a collegian.

I like the pick. Nice athleticism upgrade, good handle, can create a bit, etc. If he adds the J, you've got to think his upside is as a starter. And even if doesn't develop his shot and just ends up Ronnie Brewer 2.0, I'm fine with that at #12 in this draft.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        Someone who is especially tall, plays defense at the rim, rebounds and stays mostly around the rim on offense.
        Sounds like Derrick Favors to me. I've thought since the first time I laid eyes on him that's he was going to end up a center.

But I really don't care much about the idea of a classic C. Both Favors and Kanter are at least hybrid 4/5 size, and I'm fine with that between those two spots.

Comment

• Jazz's Kanter instantly connected with Corbin, while other Jazz personnel were awed by his size, touch and overall potential.
          2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Jazz believe Kanter can be a tough, at times nasty center. Solo workout in Chicago was huge. Kanter convinced Jazz he was real deal.
          3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Jazz's board: Irving (1), Kanter (2).
          7 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
          The Turkish Towers are going to dominate in Utah.

Comment

• The Jazz had a dilemma: draft for need or for talent? They needed a young point guard to eventually replace Deron Williams. But they felt like Kanter was the best talent on the board. It's a risky pick because Kanter is a mystery and no one knows how he will respond to the rigors of the NBA. But on paper, he's a terrific prospect and the Jazz center of the future to pair with the athletic Derrick Favors on the front line. They'll address other needs later on.
            The Jazz believe Burks has the ability to get to the basket at will. Watch the tape, and you'll see why. With his athleticism and aggressiveness as a scorer as well as his passing ability, some believe he can be a Brandon Roy type of guard down the road.
            Still have no idea why same many thought PG was a need for the Jazz.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              Still have no idea why same many thought PG was a need for the Jazz.
              As fan lacking an ounce of compassion, who couldn't give a rat's ass about winning right now, I'd like to see Jefferson and Millsap go down with season ending injuries and for Raja Bell and CJ Miles to simply disappear off the face of the earth - not die, just go away. Let's hand this thing over to the 20 and 21 year olds and let Devin Harris get them the ball.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                His 83% from the FT line is also promising as they tends to be a decent indicator for potential as at least a midrange shooter. Brewer never got close to a mark like that as a collegian.

I like the pick. Nice athleticism upgrade, good handle, can create a bit, etc. If he adds the J, you've got to think his upside is as a starter. And even if doesn't develop his shot and just ends up Ronnie Brewer 2.0, I'm fine with that at #12 in this draft.
                Locke seems to be feeding 1320 the line pretty hard that the Jazz really want to explore Burks playing some back-up PG at some point. Helps free up a spot on the roster if Burks can be the 3rd PG that Utah always wants to carry, and would be a big advantage if he actually ever could develop into their primary back-up there. I seriously doubt it, but the Jazz at least seem intent on trying to make it happen.

I agree on not being too disappointed if his ceiling ends up being Brewer 2.0. Burks does seem to have the mindset to be a better offensive player in the NBA. Brewer actually hit 39% of his 3's his sophomore season at Arkansas and 35% his junior year. But he seriously struggled when he went from the primary ball handler and offensive producer to being off the ball constantly and afraid to take a jumper for fear of hitting the bench. I think Burks has the mentality that when he touches it he's going to take it to the rim and score.

The FT% (75% freshman, 82% soph) bodes well for him being a solid mid-range shooter in this offense. I don't know if he'll ever be consistent from the NBA three. He's got a really thin base on his jumper with his feet really close together, and though his form and release look consistent and repeatable, on some of his highlights it looks like he's got a little hitch or kick at his release point on longer shots. But if he's willing to work as hard as Hayward and can keep his confidence maybe it gets better with time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                  Locke seems to be feeding 1320 the line pretty hard that the Jazz really want to explore Burks playing some back-up PG at some point. Helps free up a spot on the roster if Burks can be the 3rd PG that Utah always wants to carry, and would be a big advantage if he actually ever could develop into their primary back-up there. I seriously doubt it, but the Jazz at least seem intent on trying to make it happen.

I agree on not being too disappointed if his ceiling ends up being Brewer 2.0. Burks does seem to have the mindset to be a better offensive player in the NBA. Brewer actually hit 39% of his 3's his sophomore season at Arkansas and 35% his junior year. But he seriously struggled when he went from the primary ball handler and offensive producer to being off the ball constantly and afraid to take a jumper for fear of hitting the bench. I think Burks has the mentality that when he touches it he's going to take it to the rim and score.

The FT% (75% freshman, 82% soph) bodes well for him being a solid mid-range shooter in this offense. I don't know if he'll ever be consistent from the NBA three. He's got a really thin base on his jumper with his feet really close together, and though his form and release look consistent and repeatable, on some of his highlights it looks like he's got a little hitch or kick at his release point on longer shots. But if he's willing to work as hard as Hayward and can keep his confidence maybe it gets better with time.
                  Pulling this from another board, FWIW. If he can develop a respectable 3-point shot, it is going to do wonders for his game in opening up the drive as well.

I just heard Horny on the radio talking about Burks' shooting. He said Burks has "a shooters eye" and if he puts in the time and works hard he can be a good shooter.

The radio hosts referred to Jeff as being a great shooter and Jeff said he wasn't a great shooter when he first came into the league. He said he had to change his shot so the rotation was different in order to get the "shooters roll". He worked hard and because he has "a shooter's eye" was able to become the shooter he was later in his career. One of the hosts then looked up Jeff's 3 pt% and in years 1-3 in the league he was 27/%, 29% and 33%. Then in his 4th year he went over 40%.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    As fan lacking an ounce of compassion, who couldn't give a rat's ass about winning right now, I'd like to see Jefferson and Millsap go down with season ending injuries and for Raja Bell and CJ Miles to simply disappear off the face of the earth - not die, just go away. Let's hand this thing over to the 20 and 21 year olds and let Devin Harris get them the ball.
                    No reason for the Jazz to care about winning now. Jazz need to develop their young players and stockpile assets. Use the Oklahoma City model of building a team. It may work out and it may not work out. For every Oklahoma City there is a Blazers or the Baby Bulls. However, it isn't like the Jazz are going to build through free agency.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                      No reason for the Jazz to care about winning now. Jazz need to develop their young players and stockpile assets. Use the Oklahoma City model of building a team. It may work out and it may not work out. For every Oklahoma City there is a Blazers or the Baby Bulls. However, it isn't like the Jazz are going to build through free agency.
                      You're change in monicur has renewed in me a hope that world peace is once again attainable.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        You're change in monicur has renewed in me a hope that world peace is once again attainable.
                        World Peace is attainable... especially if your name was once Ron Artest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6698183

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                          World Peace is attainable... especially if your name was once Ron Artest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6698183
                          Ugh. I saw that on the ticker last night and couldn't help but think that he is trying to prevent his impending irrelevance.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• With the first pick in the 2011 fan draft, the Utah Jazz select MP Funk Funkster out of Lewis & Clark law school.

Comment

• Feeling pleased if the Jazz drafted Marc Gasol and Eddie Jones last night. Hoping they can become Brad Daugherty and Brandon Roy.

Comment

• I've really enjoyed seeing the rational and well reasoned responses to the Jazz picks in this thread. I've also enjoyed the over the top reactions on cougarboard about the Jazz draft. Did you guys know that Alec Burks is nothing more than Morris Almond without a jumpshot?
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X