No announcement yet.

"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington offers you the #6 and #18 for the #3. Do you take it? Require another future first?

Jazz gave 6, 22 and 27 to get to #3 the year they drafted Deron.
    Last edited by MarkGrace; 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      Washington offers you the #6 and #18 for the #3. Do you take it? Require another future first?

No. How'd that work out for Portland? The 18th pick is not valuable. It's got a lower than 50% chance of working out for you. Worse than that based on the jazz drafting record. So, the only reason you even consider it is if you think the best player available at #3 is still available at #6. Even then, you can't risk his not slipping to 6, so you take him at 3.

If you think there are 2 guys who are both the best player available at 3, then you could pick the one Washington wants (Kanter?) then hope your guy slips to 6. If he does, then you make the trade after the fact.

What you certainly don't do, is pass up the best player available at 3 because you think the guy at #6 is a "better fit" for your current team--which is exactly what Portland did. There's no way they believed Webster was better than Chris Paul.

Comment

Washington offers you the #6 and #18 for the #3. Do you take it? Require another future first?

different year, with different depth. I think the Jazz should ask for a future first round pick, but they also need to get out of the 3 if at all possible.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Only if the team loves someone else in the top 10 that they are pretty confident won't fall to 12. So instead of picking 3 and 12, they move down to 6 and then use the 12 and 18 to move up to 8 or 9.

Washington is a team I think might look at moving up. They were a team early on that was said to really want Kanter, and one of the teams that he sat down with in Chicago.

Comment

• What is the word on Montiejunas? His videos look pretty solid to me.

Was it Jacob that had the write-up on the Euro guys? Was that in this thread of the Draft one?

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
              What is the word on Montiejunas? His videos look pretty solid to me.

Was it Jacob that had the write-up on the Euro guys? Was that in this thread of the Draft one?
              Probably in the draft thread. But I was mostly just looking at stats and didn't really say anything about Mote(whatever) I think I'm sticking with my previous analysis that none of the euro guys are going to be nearly as good as Pau Gasol, which is what you'd hope for out of a 6-11 or 7 foot skinny euro, right? But Donatas makes even less sense than Vesely or Valanciunas. If you could bring over Tomic (maybe they can't) then why would you even be interested in Donatas? They are pretty similar. Both over 7 foot, neither one rebounds well or blocks shots. Both are skilled offensively in the post. Of course, Tomic is 24 and Donatas (trying to avoid spelling his last name) is 20, but even that makes me prefer Tomic as Donatas is even more of a project.

Here's that post: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=18

Today, I'm ranking them Kanter, Valunciunas, Vesely, Donatas, in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Probably in the draft thread. But I was mostly just looking at stats and didn't really say anything about Mote(whatever) I think I'm sticking with my previous analysis that none of the euro guys are going to be nearly as good as Pau Gasol, which is what you'd hope for out of a 6-11 or 7 foot skinny euro, right? But Donatas makes even less sense than Vesely or Valanciunas. If you could bring over Tomic (maybe they can't) then why would you even be interested in Donatas? They are pretty similar. Both over 7 foot, neither one rebounds well or blocks shots. Both are skilled offensively in the post. Of course, Tomic is 24 and Donatas (trying to avoid spelling his last name) is 20, but even that makes me prefer Tomic as Donatas is even more of a project.

looking at the video, donatas looks nothing like tonic. He looks more like an AK who can shoot/score. Tomic seems to be more of a stiff true center.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Montiejunas seems to get the most digs at his drive of that bunch as well. The big thing that stood out in the Montiejunas clips on youtube was how good he looked passing the ball. He looked more like a young Vlade than Pau.

I'm not sure where I'd put Biyombo in that list. But I think I have the same order as you, maybe leaning to having Biyombo ahead of Vesely.
                  Last edited by BGRTHNUMEGO; 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Montiejunas seems to get the most digs at his drive of that bunch as well. The bit thing that stood out in the Montiejunas clips on youtube was how good he looked passing the ball. He looked more like a young Vlade than Pau.

I'm not sure where I'd put Biyombo in that list. But I think I have the same order as you, maybe leaning to having Biyombo ahead of Vesely.
                    Oh yeah. I left him off, because he's African, nor Euro. I'd have him at #3, maybe at 2.

Ford ranks them as follow in his top 100:
                    Kanter - 3
                    Vesely - 5
                    Valanciunas -8
                    Biyombo - 11
                    Montie -not in the top 20

DX has them quite different:
                    Biyombo - 3
                    Valanciunus - 4
                    Mirotic - 7
                    Vesely - 11
                    Kanter - 12 (they are really down on him since he decided to work out only vs chairs)
                    Montie - 16

Comment

Oh yeah. I left him off, because he's African, nor Euro. I'd have him at #3, maybe at 2.

Ford ranks them as follow in his top 100:
                      Kanter - 3
                      Vesely - 5
                      Valanciunas -8
                      Biyombo - 11
                      Montie -not in the top 20

DX has them quite different:
                      Biyombo - 3
                      Valanciunus - 4
                      Mirotic - 7
                      Vesely - 11
                      Kanter - 12 (they are really down on him since he decided to work out only vs chairs)
                      Montie - 16
                      So what's the scoop with Mirotic? #7 on DX is very high and I assume he's not in the top 20 for Ford. I don't think I've heard the name.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        So what's the scoop with Mirotic? #7 on DX is very high and I assume he's not in the top 20 for Ford. I don't think I've heard the name.
                        And does his name rhyme with erotic? I want a frontcourt combo of A.Tomic Mirotic next year just so I can say A.Tomic Mirotic.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          And does his name rhyme with erotic? I want a frontcourt combo of A.Tomic Mirotic next year just so I can say A.Tomic Mirotic.
                          I'll admit that pronunciation never crossed my mind.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            The biggest drawback from an NBA standpoint is in the likelihood a team will actually be able to bring him over. Mirotic was brought to Spain ...when he was just 15 years old and signed a nine-year contract (which has since been redone) with unfavorable terms, as many young players in Europe often are. He still has two more seasons (after this) on his current deal, with a buyout clause that exceeds $2 million...

Further complicating the situation is the fact that Mirotic was the recipient of an incredibly valuable Spanish passport last summer, making his value in Spain infinitely higher with the restrictions the ACB places on signing import players. ...That will likely involve making his exit clause even more prohibitive, not less, though.
                            They don't have him on their mock. Looks like Int'; players still have till June 13 to withdraw from the draft and maybe they expect him to withdraw.

Comment

• I don't know what to make of Doug Gottlieb's player evals. It seems to me that he evaluates guys more on what they were in college and doesn't factor in changes in the NBA game as much. But I think looking at what he says can be interesting because sometimes it differs quite a bit from what we see from Ford, DX, and other regular draft sources.

When Gottlieb was interviewed by Bill and Spence of KALL 700 yesterday he was high on Kanter, Jimmer, and Singleton for the Jazz. He said if a team could get Kanter at #3 that it would be a "great, great value". His opinion on Singleton is that you get a guy who loves to play, who already knows his role and plays hard in that role, and that to win titles you have to have stars and guys in set roles. At 12 he doesn't think the Jazz are going to get a star so if Singleton is still there they should grab him and let him be one of those complimentary pieces...and then hope Kanter or Favors becomes that star.

He's not too high on Knight and especially not at #3. He also doesn't like Burks, even though his description of Burks made it sound like a player he should be high on: used to play PG exclusively until he grew quite a bit recently, would have been a bigger recruit out of high school if he had been taller sooner, handles the ball very well, not a great shooter but form isn't bad.

Comment

When Gottlieb was interviewed by Bill and Spence of KALL 700 yesterday he was high on Kanter, Jimmer, and Singleton for the Jazz. He said if a team could get Kanter at #3 that it would be a "great, great value".

Don't quite understand his reasoning. Kanter is a 'great great value' at #3 basically means that he should be a 1 or a 2 pick but he is at #3. If that is the case, that is high praise.

We are hearing how weak this draft is...I will be very curious to look back at this draft in 3-4 years and see how weak it really was.

Comment

Working...
                                X