"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I don't think it matters whether he was serious or not. (and FTR I think Adidas pushed this on him, not the other way around; in his interview with Satan's spawn, I mean J.J. Redick, DM said the sweatshirt idea was from Adidas and the fact that he wore it the day after Simmons popped off was just fortuitous, not planned.) The point is that regardless of WHY he did it, it focused everyone's attention on an issue that he could NOT win. Simmons was on the ballot. Regardless of whether you liked it or not, he was deemed a rookie by the NBA (just like Blake Griffin had been) and by ignoring the merits of his candidacy for the award in favor of a procedural complaint he could not win, DM essentially undermined his chance of winning.

In my mind Simmons benefitted most from his year off by being in the forefront of media minds when the season started. He was part of 'the process.' He had been touted as an amazing talent for a year before he played. There was a lot of attention on him and Embiid from game one. The rest of the class had to get their feet wet and had to earn their notoriety. DM and Tatum didnt rise until later, which is how it should be with rookies. If the season had gone another month or two, DM might have had a better chance (or Tatum might have ended up winning). In analyzing the ballots, it is pretty clear, however, that Simmons was the choice by a lot of knowledgeable people. DM had his supporters, but, truthfully, it is hard to discount Simmons excellence, apart from the fact that the kid simply has not shot beyond 12 feet (which irks me beyond belief because a guy that athletic could absolutely manage to shoot if he put his mind to it).

In the end, however, it might be a good thing he did not win. This should leave him a little more hungry and wanting to prove his place.
    Ignoring the merits of Simmons' candidacy? This isn't oral argument. The award is "argued" and won on the court. You make it sound like Donovan should have wearing a sweatshirt with his stats or something.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Ignoring the merits of Simmons' candidacy? This isn't oral argument. The award is "argued" and won on the court. You make it sound like Donovan should have wearing a sweatshirt with his stats or something.
      Sorry, I was unclear. I mean DM ignore the merits of his own candidacy. There is a very compelling argument to be made that head to head DM should be ROTY. He is a better and def more versatile scorer. He carried a team on offense, replacing an all-star. He played great defense. He stepped into the PG role when needed, even though is not really a PG. And so forth. But rather than make the point that he was the best nominee for the award he simply played coy wiot the not a rookie crap. It worked against him, in the end, I think.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Nah Donovan didn't earn ROY based on everything. Not quite. Ben was running at a full clip all season long (which is the strongest argument for him not winning by him not being accepted him as a rookie since he had a full year to ramp up) and Donovan went through a tremendous growth as a player from the first games of the season to that last game vs. Houston where he was the heart and soul of the Jazz. Donovan is the better player to me, but he didn't have the body of work all season that Ben did. What could have shaken up the race is if Utah would have been able to knock off Houston - or at least take them 7 games. Tatum's playoff performance bought him a LOT of capital in the ROY race. Donovan leading Utah vs the warriors (and make no mistake - Utah had GS' number this year) in the WCFs might have tipped it in his favor. But if DM has showed anything, it's the ability to improve by leaps and bounds. If this little race has kept him hungry, I'll gladly take the result-- and I'm sure he would too.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Sorry, I was unclear. I mean DM ignore the merits of his own candidacy. There is a very compelling argument to be made that head to head DM should be ROTY. He is a better and def more versatile scorer. He carried a team on offense, replacing an all-star. He played great defense. He stepped into the PG role when needed, even though is not really a PG. And so forth. But rather than make the point that he was the best nominee for the award he simply played coy wiot the not a rookie crap. It worked against him, in the end, I think.
          Gotcha.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Nah Donovan didn't earn ROY based on everything. Not quite. Ben was running at a full clip all season long (which is the strongest argument for him not winning by him not being accepted him as a rookie since he had a full year to ramp up) and Donovan went through a tremendous growth as a player from the first games of the season to that last game vs. Houston where he was the heart and soul of the Jazz. Donovan is the better player to me, but he didn't have the body of work all season that Ben did. What could have shaken up the race is if Utah would have been able to knock off Houston - or at least take them 7 games. Tatum's playoff performance bought him a LOT of capital in the ROY race. Donovan leading Utah vs the warriors (and make no mistake - Utah had GS' number this year) in the WCFs might have tipped it in his favor. But if DM has showed anything, it's the ability to improve by leaps and bounds. If this little race has kept him hungry, I'll gladly take the result-- and I'm sure he would too.
            Mostly agree. But much like Russ’ and the Beard’s (undeserved) MVPs. All awards are for the regular season only. The votes were submitted before the playoffs.

It would be nice if they had some kind of full year or playoff mvp award. Though like the finals mvp it likely would default to the best player on the winning team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              Mostly agree. But much like Russ’ and the Beard’s (undeserved) MVPs. All awards are for the regular season only. The votes were submitted before the playoffs.

It would be nice if they had some kind of full year or playoff mvp award. Though like the finals mvp it likely would default to the best player on the winning team.
              Well that makes sense and goes to support my little theory I guess. It also explains Harden being the MVP that clearly belonged to Lebron willing his crap team to the finals.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Jazz waive Jonas Jerebko over the weekend, and he's apparently going to the Warriors.

Does this make way for Georges Niang to join the Jazz? He's been playing very well in the G-League and now in the summer league games.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Well we can at least keep Grayson Allen on. Actually, I guess he surprised everybody with his athletic ability- specifically his ability to dunk. Spida was lamenting on Twitter that there ought to be a summer league dunk contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    Though like the finals mvp it likely would default to the best player on the winning team.
                    Iguodala
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Well we can at least keep Grayson Allen on. Actually, I guess he surprised everybody with his athletic ability- specifically his ability to dunk. Spida was lamenting on Twitter that there ought to be a summer league dunk contest.

his athleticism is like Jake Heaps calm in the pocket. looks great in practice, doesn't really manifest in games.

and yeah, i have to think Niang is a big reason the Jazz jettisoned Jonas.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• I wish someone would have punched Grayson Allen in the face after his dunks. SJBH.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                          I wish someone would have punched Grayson Allen in the face after his dunks. SJBH.
                          Spoken like a true Jazz fan.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Spoken like a true Jazz fan.
                            He deserves to be punched in the face regardless of fan loyalty or not.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• As a Blazer fan... I think Grayson is the perfect fit for people who already don't like the Jazz... it props our position that the Jazz are always playing desperate and insecure.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                                He deserves to be punched in the face regardless of fan loyalty or not.
                                I knew you didn't understand fan loyalty.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X