Page 654 of 654 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654
Results 19,591 to 19,620 of 19620

Thread: "You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Default "You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    1) Mitchell's ceiling is as a lead guard.
    2) it makes for one of the smallest backcourts in the league.

But perhaps the best way to describe the reason he's a poor fit is to compare to a guy who would have been a perfect fit.

Malcolm Brogdon. He's a guy who can hit the three at a high rate on spot ups, is an efficient scorer in general, is a big guard who can play off the ball with Mitchell, but can also play the point when needed, can create his own shot as well as creating for teammates, and can defend multiple positions because of his size. In short, not only can he give you everything Conley gives you, but he's much more versatile because of his size- especially playing in the same backcourt as the smallish Mitchell.

In today's league you want to get bigger and more versatile, not shorter and one dimensional.
    Apples and Oranges. Plus, if you get Brogdon, you don’t get Bojan.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    But his early numbers are so far below his historical averages that they can't last. I mean, they can't, right??
    Progression to the mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Plus, if you get Brogdon, you don’t get Bojan.
    Which i mentioned above.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Which i mentioned above.
    Was Brogdon available in free agency or anything?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Was Brogdon available in free agency or anything?
    He was a RFA with the Bucks, then was traded to Indiana.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

1) Mitchell's ceiling is as a lead guard.
    2) it makes for one of the smallest backcourts in the league.

But perhaps the best way to describe the reason he's a poor fit is to compare to a guy who would have been a perfect fit.

Malcolm Brogdon. He's a guy who can hit the three at a high rate on spot ups, is an efficient scorer in general, is a big guard who can play off the ball with Mitchell, but can also play the point when needed, can create his own shot as well as creating for teammates, and can defend multiple positions because of his size. In short, not only can he give you everything Conley gives you, but he's much more versatile because of his size- especially playing in the same backcourt as the smallish Mitchell.

In today's league you want to get bigger and more versatile, not shorter and one dimensional.
    What does "lead guard" mean? If you have watched the games this season, it is clear that when mitchy wants to bring it up, he does, and Conley seems fine with it. Now I realize this might be part of why Conley is having a hard time adjusting to his new role, but I just can't see how having Mike Conley will hinder Mitchell from reaching his ceiling, especially as coached by Snyder. I really don't think Brogdon would have been any better.

Size might be an issue. But Conley has always been a tenacious on ball defender and the loss of size does not, in my view, matter much as long as he ends up shooting/dishing around his career percentages. ALso, versatility is not an issue (assuming he shoots better). Conley seems less versatile because of what he was asked to do in Memphis, but he is good off the dribble or the catch and shoot andmoves well without the ball.

I liked Brogdon a lot, but I think Conley is a great fit as a player and as a person.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Which i mentioned above.
    No, what you said, in so many words, was “Maybe if they don’t get Conley, they don’t get these other guys (including Bojan)”

What I’m saying is “if the Jazz had traded for Brogdan, Utah definitely wouldn’t have been an option for Bojan”.

They are different statements.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Which i mentioned above.

No, what you said, in so many words, was “Maybe if they don’t get Conley, they don’t get these other guys (including Bojan)”

What I’m saying is “if the Jazz had traded for Brogdan, Utah definitely wouldn’t have been an option for Bojan”.

They are different statements.

Why would acquiring Brogdan have precluded the Jazz from landing Bojan? Is it just the pull of playing with Conley, or something else/more?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Welcome back Michael Conley, welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Welcome back Michael Conley, welcome back.
    The fit looks a lot better tonight, eh?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Yep. Conley shouldering the offensive load lets Spida get in some "load management" of his own so he's ready for his regularly scheduled 4th quarter takeover.

This team looks so good when the shooting is halfway decent.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yep. Conley shouldering the offensive load lets Spida get in some "load management" of his own so he's ready for his regularly scheduled 4th quarter takeover.

This team looks so good when the shooting is halfway decent.
    I freaking love Donovan. An amazing talent, who appears to be an even better human being.

Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Boom!
    Barf.

Terrible game from the good guys. Also, maybe box out?

Default "You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Conley back to being a bad fit. 2-10 tonight.

The Jazz have been great tonight — should be farther ahead.

The 22/24 FTs and big foul/FT disparity is the only thing keeping the Sixers in this.

The Bucks game was one of the more fun games I've been at in a long time.

Bojan. He's good.

Jazz survive a night where they shoot 23 percent from three. That is something that probably wouldn't have happened a year ago.

Jazz survive a night where they shoot 23 percent from three. That is something that probably wouldn't have happened a year ago.
    to get a win in a game where conley, donovan and bogey shoot a combined 1-17 from three, yeah, i'll take that.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

to get a win in a game where conley, donovan and bogey shoot a combined 1-17 from three, yeah, i'll take that.
    That's Rudy taking the bull by the horns like he has always wanted to. His offensive game has never looked more competent. (Damning with faint praise, I know...) Now if he could hit the broadside of a barn from the free throw line, we'd really be onto something...
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I found Morant pretty insufferable as a college player, and he has picked up right where he left off.

Rrally looking forward to the games when Conley isn’t shooting below the Mendoza line. Those games are coming, right? Right?

Rrally looking forward to the games when Conley isn’t shooting below the Mendoza line. Those games are coming, right? Right?
    definitely hard to beat good teams when they don't get any help from that spot.

also, i'm convinced the jazz defend giannis worse than any team in the league. he's ridiculous and is always going to get his (crazy how he basically doesn't have bad games), but when he plays the jazz it looks especially easy.

in the last four games against the Jazz, he's averaging 38.3. games of 43, 30, 30 and 50.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

If you could push the undo button on the Conley trade, would you? I think I’m ready to say I would.

Well, The Jazz decided to play in the 3rd quarter...

On Conley... I keep wanting to give him more time but it just seems he is not the right fit for this team

this team. smh
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Worst half of basketball I’ve ever seen the Jazz play. Absolutely embarrassing how bad it was. I love Mitchell but I think the offense needs to run through Bogey. Especially the last few minutes of games. However, when down by 40 at half, I guess it doesn’t really matter.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

If you could push the undo button on the Conley trade, would you? I think I’m ready to say I would.

They did give up a lot for him, looking at it again. So you're saying the Jazz get back Allen, Crowder, Korver, and the picks they gave up and lose Conley?

Yeah - that looks like a bad trade right now.

But it seems like the Jazz have been a second half of the season team under Snyder. So I'm holding out hope that they get better as we get into Jan/Feb and things start to gel a little more.

I would undo the trade only because i think they could have done better, but i'd rather have conley than they players (picks being the wildcard) they gave up for him.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I would undo the trade only because i think they could have done better, but i'd rather have Conley than they players (picks being the wildcard) they gave up for him.
    The players they gave up for Conley are replacement level bench pieces. The problem is now the bench is sub-replacement level and killing the team on a nightly basis. I keep seeing fans saying that we couldn't afford Favors due to the Conley contract. The reality is that Bojan is the replacement for Favors and that change was fine, at least offensively.

Conley was traded for Crowder/Allen/Korver but really replaced Rubio on the floor. I still think Conley will be an upgrade over Rubio over the course of the season but that's not a sure thing. Mudiay and Greene have been a downgrade from Crowder/Korver. Davis is much worse than Favors as a backup center.

Joe Ingles is having a terrible year thus far. He's only shooting 32% from 3 and his scoring is down 5 ppg. He's been a mess. Royce O'neale is playing increased minutes but his production is basically the same, so those minutes are not productive. Even Exum's numbers are way down compared to where he was when he actually played the last two years. There are just too many bad offensive players logging minutes.

Rudy and Mitchell are both basically tracking with their career production. I think most of us hoped Mitchell would take a leap this year but that hasn't happened. However, I don't think you can put the Jazz failure thus far on either of them, at least in comparing this year's team to last.

Snyder has his work cut out to get this team turned around. I also wouldn't be surprise to see the front office shake things up sooner than later to try and get some help for the bench.