The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Every now and again as Netflix adds streaming content, I come across something that I think would interest others. I thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to our finds in that arena.

For my first submission I'd like to let everyone know that The First 48 streams every season (except for season 3 for some strange reason). I have loved that show since the first episode. If you've never seen it, it basically follows a group of homicide detectives from the moment they get the case through the first 48 hours. The idea being that if they don't have a legitimate lead within the first 48 hours the likelihood the case will ever be solved drops steeply. It's very real, so not for the faint of heart.

Also, if you have young kids, Flipper streams. My kids really like that show now. They can't believe how much freedom those boys have.

8: The Mormon Proposition.

I'll admit it, I'm curious enough to see this one.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      8: The Mormon Proposition.

I'll admit it, I'm curious enough to see this one.
      I also watched that yesterday. I thought parts were very touching, at other times I was ashamed to think that manipulation tactics might have been uSed on members in California.

This was such a huge negative for the church, I hope we learn to stay out of politics in the future.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I also watched that yesterday. I thought parts were very touching, at other times I was ashamed to think that manipulation tactics might have been uSed on members in California.

This was such a huge negative for the church, I hope we learn to stay out of politics in the future.
        I hope so as well, but when you "win", that's a tougher lesson to learn.

Comment

Got to ask a basic question as I'm not a Netflix subscriber. In the past, I went through the cost/benefit and decided I wouldn't use Netflix enough to justify the subscription fee. Part of that is due to the content I get through my TV service provider. I get a steep discount as an employee so I get a lot of content to choose from.

But it made me think if I could stream Netflix, maybe I would use the service more and justify a subscripiton. So my question is, are people streaming Netflix through their PS3 or XBOX? Is there unlimited streaming?

Guess I should research it a bit more but am curious if current Netflix subscribers would recommend it; and why.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            Got to ask a basic question as I'm not a Netflix subscriber. In the past, I went through the cost/benefit and decided I wouldn't use Netflix enough to justify the subscription fee. Part of that is due to the content I get through my TV service provider. I get a steep discount as an employee so I get a lot of content to choose from.

But it made me think if I could stream Netflix, maybe I would use the service more and justify a subscripiton. So my question is, are people streaming Netflix through their PS3 or XBOX? Is there unlimited streaming?

Guess I should research it a bit more but am curious if current Netflix subscribers would recommend it; and why.
            Yes, you can stream through your PS3, xbox, wii, as well as a growing number of dvd and blu-ray players and stand-alone set-top boxes. Streaming is unlimited. The streaming library, however, is NOT the same as the dvd library. Streaming has a much smaller library, although it is quickly growing.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

I stream through my Wii and my Roku. Between the two, the roku is better but the wii is great too. The most important thing is the size of the pipe.

Just to remind the nerds: Firefly the Series streams. Watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post

I watched that over the summer! I loved that show. Serenity was even better after rewatching Firefly.

Why do you prefer roku? I have Wii but am looking at Roku to stream hulu. I want to dump satellite asap, but don't want to miss my shows...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                  I watched that over the summer! I loved that show. Serenity was even better after rewatching Firefly.

Why do you prefer roku? I have Wii but am looking at Roku to stream hulu. I want to dump satellite asap, but don't want to miss my shows...
                  My roku streams in 1080p HD baby!

Comment

How much 1080p content have you found?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I
                      That was the first series that I ever streamed. It took me a couple of episodes to get hooked but I got there.

Comment

Sweet! That will look GREAT on my 12 year old Sony TV.

Actually, I am going to get the Roku XD or XD/S later this week. The TV upgrade is coming in a few months. Dumping the satellite and going with Roku streaming Hulu and Netflix will completely pay for a nice 52" LED TV in a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          How much 1080p content have you found?
                          Quite a bit actually. No sports to speak of, but movies on both Hulu Plus and on Netflix. And tv programs although I don't really care as much there.

Also on Roku you can, with some very easy programming, create your own channel of streaming content. Some guy has started the LDS video channel although he's got a lot more content to add. If you google "private channel codes" and "roku" you can get lists of these unofficial channels created by joe sixpack.

Comment

I stream to my XBox 360's through my Windows Media Center using two pieces of software. PlayOn and TubeCore.

PlayOn is a server that runs on the MCE box and provides tons of content, not just NetFlix. I mainly use Hulu and NetFlix through it but they have a bunch of other channels as well.

TubeCore is a Windows Media Center Plugin that allows that to work through the MCE interface. The advantage is that you have to have XBOx Gold to stream netflix ... and I have 3 XBox locations so that would get pricey. This does not require Gold.

Another benefit of NetFlix streaming? Travel. Most hotels I can stream through their WiFI. Usually have to pause it to let it buffer a while but I am able to watch shows and movies on my laptop.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Based on your original recommendation I tried Firefly/Serenity. Great show. Thanks for the recommendation.

I like the new Battlestar Galactica series as well (which streams on netflix).
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X