Weekend Ride Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Ride Reports

Because the previous weekend ride reports thread has vanished mysteriously, I'll start a new one for 2011. We headed out early this morning and enjoyed a 30 ride up through Niles, Palomares and Dublin Canyons. Thirty miles with nearly 2500 feet of climbing at a pokey 14 mph pace. It was 43 degrees at the start but we managed to ward off the extreme cold (sorry, RC).

Our prep for the 2011 TdC begins today.

So bummed and anxious for anything that even resembles "good weather". We are just now breaking back into the 30's. Been in the teens or single digits for the longest time it seemed. Spin class today...closest I've come to hitting the road.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

We had a nice 40-miler Saturday morning despite some wind and my flat at the midway point. At the end of our rides, the final half mile to the house is a lightly traveled straightaway and I often like to crank as fast as I can to the finish (although my top speed, particularly at the end of the ride, would be laughable to a serious cyclist). Mrs. PAC usually rolls her eyes as I announce my intention to jam and she hangs back, allowing me to finish alone with my Cavendish fantasies. The past couple of times, though, she's been hanging onto my rear wheel. Despite a slight headwind, we hit around 27.5 mph (Hey, stop laughing!) and had a blast finishing up together.

It's been said many times, but I marvel at the improvement in mental outlook as a result of becoming more fit and active.

Comment

I realize that until Utah and Idaho emerge from underneath the Great White North, I may be the only one posting rides in this thread. But consider these tiresome reports as a beacon of hope for a spring thaw soon to come. This morning we had a fun ride through the Livermore foothills ("quoth the raven, Livermore!"). The missus has been racking up 100+ mile weeks and she did a couple of 24 mph pulls while I sat back and enjoyed the ride. Forty miles later, we're home and happy, looking forward to the UNM tip.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I realize that until Utah and Idaho emerge from underneath the Great White North, I may be the only one posting rides in this thread. But consider these tiresome reports as a beacon of hope for a spring thaw soon to come. This morning we had a fun ride through the Livermore foothills ("quoth the raven, Livermore!"). The missus has been racking up 100+ mile weeks and she did a couple of 24 mph pulls while I sat back and enjoyed the ride. Forty miles later, we're home and happy, looking forward to the UNM tip.
          beacon of hope, or cause of much jealousy
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Went for a ride along the Rio Grande today before the B-Ball game. The weather was a pleasant 50+ degrees; the skies were blindingly blue, and there were all sorts of wildlife making appearances. I only did about 17 miles as I needed to get back to watch the BYU-UNM game, otherwise I might still be out on the road.
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

For those that did Tour de CUF 2009 - is this basically the same ride that we did?

http://www.bikethewest.com/AMBBR.html
              "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                For those that did Tour de CUF 2009 - is this basically the same ride that we did?

http://www.bikethewest.com/AMBBR.html
                Yup, that's the ride, although for some reason we dispensed with the after ride Pool Party. We'll work on that for this year.

Comment

Working at home, and with the missus away for a week, I decided to play hooky and did my weekend ride today. I rode up Mt. Diablo, a very scenic but tough ten mile climb with an average grade of 6%. The final quarter mile to the summit is around 16-18%, and with tired legs coupled with today's wind blast at the top, it was nasty. But I survived, and the descent was fun. I'm not very good with wind, and dealing with sudden crosswinds is a challenge.

BTW, per Garmin I burned about 750 calories/hr., which given the climb seems about right, but who knows?

Comment

Working at home, and with the missus away for a week, I decided to play hooky and did my weekend ride today. I rode up Mt. Diablo, a very scenic but tough ten mile climb with an average grade of 6%. The final quarter mile to the summit is around 16-18%, and with tired legs coupled with today's wind blast at the top, it was nasty. But I survived, and the descent was fun. I'm not very good with wind, and dealing with sudden crosswinds is a challenge.

BTW, per Garmin I burned about 750 calories/hr., which given the climb seems about right, but who knows?
                    I assume you went through the southgate side? A good ride.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

always wanted to do that. Loved fathers and sons up near rock city every year. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        always wanted to do that. Loved fathers and sons up near rock city every year. Sounds like fun.
                        Rock City is great. I actually think the northgate side is a little harder, but it is a great ride, either way. But that descent can be COLD. Not Cowboy with his arm plunged into a cow's maidenhood in the middle of winter cold, but still plenty cold.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          I assume you went through the southgate side? A good ride.
                          Yup, and a good choice given the wind coming down from the northwest. It was calm until I got around to the west and northwest sides where it was a bit brutal. Clear skies and gorgeous views, though. And far more cyclists than cars; a fun ride.

Comment

My only rides lately have been on the trainer. I did the spinerval aero base builder 2 today.

Comment

Continuing the Friday morning trend, I rode with Mrs. PAC and two of her cycling pals, all very proficient women cyclists. The wind out in Livermore was bad at times (it's discouraging when your air speed is around 30, but your ground speed is around 8). But when we turned with the wind, we managed some exhilarating pacelines, going between 20 and 35. Still averaged just over 15 mph over the 46 mile route, but had a great time.

Comment

Working...
                              X