Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

We are thinking of putting a pool in our backyard. My wife likes the organic jelly bean type shapes but I prefer a rectangle with a motorized pool cover. Any thoughts or suggestions as to type, shape or features?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    We are thinking of putting a pool in our backyard. My wife likes the organic jelly bean type shapes but I prefer a rectangle with a motorized pool cover. Any thoughts or suggestions as to type, shape or features?
    Ha. Mrs. Donut and I are presently mired in this discussion. I am on your side and my wife is on your wife's side. I feel like the organic shape (here it is often called a "kidney bean") is a less efficient use of space. Plus, I like the clean lines of something more angular. (FYI, this dispute is pretty much a running theme throughout our home decorating adventures, as my wife loves the rustic, shabby-chic crap which is currently so prevalent, and I like mid-century modern, industrial, and/or contemporary styling.)

As for a pool, we're actually thinking about a shape that allows us to have two shallow ends and a deep end, so we can have more room to play volleyball and basketball. The proposed options are a cloverish shape for the "organic" variety, or an L-shape for the more contemporary look. You can probably guess who is in favor of what.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Haha. First world problems.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

We have the jelly bean shape. I really like the shape and form of it, but it does have some of those drawbacks that you and donut mentioned. May be a bit of a waste of space, but I doubt space restrictions are a real issue for either of your yards. The biggest drawback is the cover issue. We have a bunch of trees in the back yard and keeping it leaf-free and keeping the intake clear is a non-stop battle.

In some ways I wish we could have a roll-back cover, but for me I like being able to look in the back yard and see the water. Seeing a cover out the back window doesn't have the same effect. Plus, it makes it a little less accessible, having to take the time and effort to uncover it before you use it. When i finish a bike ride or run in the summer it is so nice to be able to walk out the back door and dive right in without having to mess with the cover. When we were in the severe drought a couple of years ago I bought a bubble cover to help reduce evaporation that I cut to custom fit the pool. It helped with the water bill, but I hated it and never use it any more. Way too much hassle.

Comment

Plus, with a cover you're less likely to have these little guys come visit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            Plus, with a cover you're less likely to have these little guys come visit you.

In Houston, the little guys that visit us are water moccasins...but thankfully it's only been the people near the community lake that have had that issue. We just get frogs and lizards in the pool from time to time.

We have a kidney shape and really like it but I can see the draw of a rectangle shape. I really don't have a preference but I do love our pool.

Our pool is shallow on one end (about 3 feet) and gradually gets deeper for a bit until it gets steep and drops to 6 feet, which is deep enough for jumping in off of our rock waterfall...well, deep enough for my family. I wouldn't want two different shallow ends and can't see why you'd want that. We like having one bigger shallow end, which is where we play basketball or other things (e.g. Marco Polo), and one bigger deep end, which is where we jump in. Sure, we can't play volleyball, but volleyball in a pool sucks because you have to constantly get out of the pool and having your pool built to volleyball specs ruins the other fun things you can do in it. Just my opinion.

One thing you definitely want is a spa. I know people with pools that didn't build a spa and they both regret it big time. One just sold their home and it was tough to find a buyer as most people want a spa with the pool. They had to discount the home a bit relative to similar homes with pools/spas to make up for the lack of a spa. Plus, the spa is nice in the offseason. MJ has friends over and they chill in the spa and she does it year round.

We don't have a cover and lose about 2 inches of water per week in the summer, but I'm sure some of that is due to kids getting in and out of the pool. But having a cover would be a pain unless it was on a motor to retract it, but even then it would look ugly. Again, just my opinion . Our dog also likes to get in the pool in the summer and she couldn't do that with a cover on it.

We also have a salt water pool and love it. I have no idea if it's Bette than straight chlorine, but I find the salt water aspect to be easy to care for. I've learned a bit through trial and error but have gotten the maintenance down to a science at this point. We had to replace the salt cell last year, which ran us around $400 but any pool is going to be a money hog.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              In Houston, the little guys that visit us are water moccasins...but thankfully it's only been the people near the community lake that have had that issue. We just get frogs and lizards in the pool from time to time.

We have a kidney shape and really like it but I can see the draw of a rectangle shape. I really don't have a preference but I do love our pool.

Our pool is shallow on one end (about 3 feet) and gradually gets deeper for a bit until it gets steep and drops to 6 feet, which is deep enough for jumping in off of our rock waterfall...well, deep enough for my family. I wouldn't want two different shallow ends and can't see why you'd want that. We like having one bigger shallow end, which is where we play basketball or other things (e.g. Marco Polo), and one bigger deep end, which is where we jump in. Sure, we can't play volleyball, but volleyball in a pool sucks because you have to constantly get out of the pool and having your pool built to volleyball specs ruins the other fun things you can do in it. Just my opinion.
              So you like having a deep end and a shallow end. What's not to like about having a shallow end, another shallow end, and a deep end? You lose nothing and gain something. Care to expound on what gets ruined by being able to play volleyball?

We also have a salt water pool and love it. I have no idea if it's Bette than straight chlorine, but I find the salt water aspect to be easy to care for. I've learned a bit through trial and error but have gotten the maintenance down to a science at this point. We had to replace the salt cell last year, which ran us around $400 but any pool is going to be a money hog.
              You mean like chemistry science?
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Whatever you decide, make sure the deep end is close enough to the house so you can jump off the roof into the pool. When you sell, it will be tough to find a buyer unless you do this. Fair warning.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  So you like having a deep end and a shallow end. What's not to like about having a shallow end, another shallow end, and a deep end? You lose nothing and gain something. Care to expound on what gets ruined by being able to play volleyball?
                  I like having a larger shallow area. I still have kids that are fairly young/small and when we have 3-4 families over it's more fun for them to all play together in the shallow area while the bigger kids take turns jumping off the rocks while trying to catch a ball or just goofing around.

It's just my opinion on pool volleyball, which we can still play in our pool since we have a good sized shallow area, but half the time the ball ends up out of the pool. So you are constantly getting in/out. Then the ball lands in the mulch so it's covered in mulch/dirt. Then someone mishits and it goes over the neighbors fence. My kids quickly tire of volleyball. Maybe they'll play it more as they get older, but I doubt it. They'd rather jump of the rocks or play Electricity or just float around on pool pets.

You mean like chemistry science?
                  That's the joke.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

How deep do you think that you will be able to go in the middle of the pool if you have two shallow ends. I can't imagine you'll be able to go any deeper than 6 feet or so, which imo, is way too shallow if anyone is going to be diving. I'd be concerned about neck and head injuries.

We have a friend that has a pool like you're describing. They are admittedly not huge pool people, but they have yet to play volleyball in their pool and they have been there for 3-4 years now. I love volleyball, but honestly doubt I would play much even if we had the set up for it. Pools are for lounging and diving into.

Comment

How deep do you think that you will be able to go in the middle of the pool if you have two shallow ends. I can't imagine you'll be able to go any deeper than 6 feet or so, which imo, is way too shallow if anyone is going to be diving. I'd be concerned about neck and head injuries.

We have a friend that has a pool like you're describing. They are admittedly not huge pool people, but they have yet to play volleyball in their pool and they have been there for 3-4 years now. I love volleyball, but honestly doubt I would play much even if we had the set up for it. Pools are for lounging and diving into.
                      If I had built my pool instead of buying it with the home, I probably would have a deep end that is 8 feet. However 6 feet had been sufficient. We just don't allow any diving, but no one seems to mind the rule. Most backyard pools in my area are at most 6 feet deep. I know of two pools that are deeper (one is 8 feet and the other 9 feet) but they are both located next to very large homes with huge backyards.

For lounging and playing around, 6 feet has been fine. I do like having a 3-4 foot rock waterfall for the kids to jump off. That has definitely been the biggest hit of the pool.

Comment

Plus, the spa is nice in the offseason. MJ has friends over and they chill in the spa and she does it year round.
                        Isn't it supposed to be heated?

Pools are for lounging and diving into.
                        Who are you to determine what pools are for? I support D-hole's right to use a pool for whatever purpose he chooses, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Who are you to determine what pools are for? I support D-hole's right to use a pool for whatever purpose he chooses, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Thanks, Tom Price
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I think I see the confusion. You guys are thinking the pool is a rectangle with the deep end between two shallow ends, ya? I guess maybe everybody missed where I said it would be L-shaped?

Here's a rudimentary, not-to-scale sketch.

pool shape.jpg

We would add a raised spa in a location still TBD, and somewhere near the deep end we would probably notch out a spot for a grotto with a rock waterfall/diving platform that could be built a few years down the line.

Comment

Ha, I was thinking your shallow ends would both be on the ends of the L and the deep end would be where they both meet. I figured I was missing something.

That plan would work well and I'd definitely prefer it over my current pool. I also wouldn't have the space in my backyard to make it work. But if you have the space and cash to do it, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X