Another City Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another City Creek?

I came across this article the other day and wanted to know if anyone had any insight as to what it means.

In the middle of an article in the Orlando Sentinel (which I'm assuming is a semi-respectable/responsible paper) from January 24th of this year titled "Mormon Church Could Block Orlando-to-Miami Train" it reads:

The church, which has plans for a mixed-used development on 19,000 acres close to the airport and the Medical City complex, could use 48-year-old agreement to press for access to the train or to the BeachLine.
    What I'm wondering is, what does "mixed-used development" mean? To me "mixed-use" (I think that's really how it should read) means apartments, offices, shopping, etc. a la City Creek Center. There's even mention of putting a train stop in there. Is the Church's real estate arm looking to replicate City Creek in other locations across the country? If so, shouldn't this be a major news story? Was it and I just missed it?

Also, I should mention that 19,000 acres is approximately 30 square miles, which would be an enormous development. There's no way that they're developing 19,000 acres. 1,900 possibly, but not 19,000.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      I came across this article the other day and wanted to know if anyone had any insight as to what it means.

In the middle of an article in the Orlando Sentinel (which I'm assuming is a semi-respectable/responsible paper) from January 24th of this year titled "Mormon Church Could Block Orlando-to-Miami Train" it reads:

What I'm wondering is, what does "mixed-used development" mean? To me "mixed-use" (I think that's really how it should read) means apartments, offices, shopping, etc. a la City Creek Center. There's even mention of putting a train stop in there. Is the Church's real estate arm looking to replicate City Creek in other locations across the country? If so, shouldn't this be a major news story? Was it and I just missed it?
      Mixed-used devolopment means a lot of different things. In some intances, it means a mix of low-medium-high end housing in a small space and retail/commercial use is ancillary to the residential. In others it focuses on mid density commercial use with retail space and limited residential surrounding.

It could mean a City Creek, but it could mean something very different as well.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Isn't that where the Church's huge cattle ranch is?

Comment

Also, I should mention that 19,000 acres is approximately 30 square miles, which would be an enormous development. There's no way that they're developing 19,000 acres. 1,900 possibly, but not 19,000.
          They own all that land. It might (hopefully) mean they just want to protect the property value in case they sold it to a developer at a later date.

Comment

It could mean they are building a new MTC - which I'm sure they'd love to have a train from the airport stopping at. Or they could be putting in another cannery to make more beef stew from the cows on their big ranch down there. Or something else.

Or - it could be a new development with malls and houses.

Who knows. Though it does make me go hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              They own all that land. It might (hopefully) mean they just want to protect the property value in case they sold it to a developer at a later date.
              Most likely this. Just because the church owns 19,000 acres near Orlando doesn't mean they are planning on building a 19,000-acre development.
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

City Creek would probably be a bad name for a development in Florida. City Swamp or something like that would be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  They own 300,000 acres down there. Why specifically mention the 19,000?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    It could mean they are building a new MTC - which I'm sure they'd love to have a train from the airport stopping at. Or they could be putting in another cannery to make more beef stew from the cows on their big ranch down there. Or something else.

Or - it could be a new development with malls and houses.

Who knows. Though it does make me go hmmmm.
                    Whatever mixed-use means, I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean cannery. That would be a single use. Maybe MTC, since you would have people both living and working on the site, but I'm positive it doesn't mean cannery.

Comment

They own 300,000 acres down there. Why specifically mention the 19,000?
                      Did 19,000 of the 300,000 acres get re-zoned as mixed-use?
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I thought that a recent article on the church's cow/calf operation there included some speculation on the church developing some of the land.

Comment

Maybe the development will help to make the rest of the ranch financially viable.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            Did 19,000 of the 300,000 acres get re-zoned as mixed-use?
                            No idea. It would be interesting to know, but unfortunately I don't have the time to go poring over the property records of central Flordia counties.

Comment

No idea. It would be interesting to know, but unfortunately I don't have the time to go poring over the property records of central Flordia counties.
                              Don't we have Utes around for this purpose? Where did they go?

Comment

Working...
                              X