The Official "Real" Wrestling thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official "Real" Wrestling thread

I tend to post on wrestling often. I realized I should just have one location to post my thoughts, updates etc. Those who like wrestling feel free to comment or post info as well.

I also tend to post results on my little brother's team as well (Very proud of him). This past weekend was the "Reno Tournament of Champions". It is the largest HS wrestling Tournament on the west coast. This year they had over 118 teams come.

This year my little brother's team did pretty good. They ended up in 6th place out of 118 teams. He had 2 Champs and a 5th place. The 2 champs were featured on "Flow Wrestling.com" on their front page for "Wrestler of the Week". This is a national website for all the major programs and tournament across the nation.

Here are their matches. Hayden Tuma ranked 2nd nationally at 138 and Jon Jay Chaves at 145 (Cadet National Greco Champ this past summer). Chavez beat 2 Cali State Champs on his way to the final and beat the 4th ranked guy nationally pretty soundly..

Tuma's match
    http://www.flowrestling.org/video/67...aul-Fox-Gilroy

Chavez's match:
    http://www.flowrestling.org/video/67...larreal-Gilroy

Flow Wrestling front page (Nice to see a Boise, Idaho school on there):
    http://www.flowrestling.org/

My 5 year old is doing wrestling this year and loves it. The kid has a real good mix of aggression and teachability. when they are sparring at the end of the session I don't even have to tell him to go after his opponent. He hears the whistle and he is always the first to shoot. The kid has motor.

The great thing too is that he listens. Before practice the other day he was wrestling with one of his friends and he couldnt turn the kid over. So I stop them and teach him a half nelson. two minutes later I see them wrestling and I see him pull a perfect half nelson and turn other kid over on his back. Damn near brought a tear to my eye.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Is this not a sport?
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I loved wrestling in HS. My only regret is I didn't start younger. I didn't wrestle until my sophomore year and with 3,500 students in my school (and 50+ wrestlers), I did good to make JV. If I had sons, they'd be wrestling. Our coaches taught us granby rolls and insisted we use them. I could never pull off a granby. My specialty was takedowns. One match, we were tied with 15 seconds to go. I was in top and the coach told me to let him up. So I did, then proceeded to take him down for the 1-point win. My parents have that on tape. Great memories!

Do they still do the Pennsylvania vs the rest of the country meet? Had a friend get invited for heavyweight. He was 4-time state champ with only one loss in his career, IIRC. He went to that meet and lost, only his second loss, which was unheard of and shocked the team. We were sure he'd win handily.

EDIT: A quick google search and I found it, the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic [1]. In 1993, you can see the heavyweight match was Bill Closson and Mike Perrine from Independence (actually, it was Blue Springs HS, but part of Independence is in the school district...anyway). It was an 8-7 decision.

[1] http://wrestlingclassic.com/all_classic_results.htm

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
        Last edited by lambdacoug; 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM.
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Locally, here, Maple Mountain High School is developing a reputation for wrestling. I read somewhere there is talk they're fielding a team that is considered one of the best all time in Utah high school history.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Locally, here, Maple Mountain High School is developing a reputation for wrestling. I read somewhere there is talk they're fielding a team that is considered one of the best all time in Utah high school history.
            Maple Mountain placed 3rd at Reno by the way.. They had no Champs. The had a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th placers. This is what put them above my brother's team..

They are TOUGH!!

Other teams that were at Reno:
            Box Elder (10th) and Pleasant Grove (11th), Lehi 58th, Alta 64th, West Jordan 74th, Payson 94th..

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              Is this not a sport?
              Yes, but I am not sure where to place this thread.. It does not belong in "The Arena" area, nor football area. So I placed it here.. I guess I could put it in gym..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                I also tend to post results on my little brother's team as well (Very proud of him). This past weekend was the "Reno Tournament of Champions". It is the largest HS wrestling Tournament on the west coast.
                Reno is on the west coast?

I didn't think even Sacramento was considered "west coast".

Most of the people that I knew in high school who wrestled were always trying to keep their weight down to get into the next lower weight class. This during prime teenage growth years. I can think of several who are 3-4 inches shorter than their non-wrestling brothers, including my own older brother.

Comment

Nikuman's high school is the mecca of high school wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    Nikuman's high school is the mecca of high school wrestling.
                    OUR high school. You went there too.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      OUR high school. You went there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                        Reno is on the west coast?

I didn't think even Sacramento was considered "west coast".

Most of the people that I knew in high school who wrestled were always trying to keep their weight down to get into the next lower weight class. This during prime teenage growth years. I can think of several who are 3-4 inches shorter than their non-wrestling brothers, including my own older brother.
                        One of the guys on our team would cut 40 lbs, from 140-ish to wrestle the 103 lbs class. It was extremely unhealthy. He was 2 time state champ going into our senior year. The coach (who is a Ph.D. in nutrition from ASU where he also wreslted) found out and told him to wrestle 135 or he was done wrestling. Much to the coach's credit. The wrestler did not even make quarters at state at 135. That was the most extreme example on the team, but plenty of guys would cut 10-20 lbs...even our heavyweight had to cut weight...LOL

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          My brother's team won Reno his senior year.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

watching a bunch of sweaty teenagers grab each other by the dingus and catch ringworm? no thanks.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

After our third submission, the editor of our yearbook kicked me and my friend Norman off the wrestling pages' drafts. Our captions were "inappropriate."
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X