Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon Training Thread

Alright, let's get this thing going. I think we can use this thread as a way to stay motivated (18 weeks is a long time). The program I'm going to use for NYC doesn't start until the 28th of June, but I did start Hal Higdon's Intermediate I program today to ensure that my base is sufficient by the end of June. I'm going to do the first 5-6 weeks of this schedule until then.

My planned long run for Sept. 19th is only 12 miles, but I'm going to switch some weeks around and do the Top of Utah Marathon as a long training run. If nothing else, it will be a good gauge of where I'm at 2 months into the schedule.

I did some trail running with my friend on Sat, and we ended up getting lost. A planned 6-7 miler turned into a 12 miler. My legs are thrashed. So today was just a matter of trying to loosen up a bit and get rid of the soreness. I did 3.04 miles at a nice 8:58/mile pace.

I put in a 20-miler the Saturday before last and a half marathon race last Saturday. My schedule won't allow for a long run this week, so I'll probably just get in a 15-miler on Saturday and then 20-milers the next two weekends. During the week, I'm doing 7 on MWF with a running parter who is faster than I am and 10ish on T-TH. It's not very scientific, but hopefully it will get me where I need to be before the marathon in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
      So today was just a matter of trying to loosen up a bit and get rid of the soreness. I did 3.04 miles at a nice 8:58/mile pace.
      That's what today is for me - a 6 miler turned into 10 (albeit on a treadmill) on Saturday, so today is about a nice easy 3. I am shocked to see that what I consider a nice easy pace is what you ran at - I'm assuming that's a slow pace for you?

My real question is about stretching - what kinds of stretching do you do after runs? I have neglected it so far and that is not good.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I'm starting officially today on Hal Higdon's Novice I program, though it is a rest day. I just looked at my calendar and decided that I am also going to run the Provo River Half Marathon August 8th, my training schedule calls for a 12 mile run that day, so should be close enough. I had fun running it 2 years ago and it will give me additional motivation as I am training.
        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          That's what today is for me - a 6 miler turned into 10 (albeit on a treadmill) on Saturday, so today is about a nice easy 3. I am shocked to see that what I consider a nice easy pace is what you ran at - I'm assuming that's a slow pace for you?

My real question is about stretching - what kinds of stretching do you do after runs? I have neglected it so far and that is not good.
          8:58 is an easy pace for me, which is really the whole point. I'll typically do a very easy run on Monday to recover from the weekend long run. I really only push the pace on 1-2 runs a week, though. The rest are just general put-in-the-miles runs at a moderate to easy pace. Going all out every time is a sure way to get hurt.

As far as stretching, I don't do a lot of it. I don't stretch before I run, and afterwards, I'll do maybe 5 minutes. I've just never noticed any difference between when I do and when I don't, so I don't spend a whole lot of time on it.

Comment

I hate stretching. I went for a couple of years without doing any. But, since I got some soreness in my hip last month, I've been stretching after most runs. I only stretch for about 5 to 10 minutes. I lay on my back and do leg lifts, stretch my hips across my body a few times and some groin stretches. I haven't noticed a difference. Maybe that's why I hate it.
            One thing that has helped motivate me to stretch is that on my MWF morning runs I get back at 7:30am, just in time to watch Match Game reruns on the Game Show network. That Charles Nelson Riley is a hoot.

Comment

Does anybody else use Nike+ other than me an' ewth8tr? I think fuegote does too. I'd be interested in setting up challenges that we can all participate in (more along the distance things than the speed things, 'cuz y'all can kick my butt there). I seem to remember that we did one last year except I was weak sauce at it.

Comment

Does anybody else use Nike+ other than me an' ewth8tr? I think fuegote does too. I'd be interested in setting up challenges that we can all participate in (more along the distance things than the speed things, 'cuz y'all can kick my butt there). I seem to remember that we did one last year except I was weak sauce at it.
                http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/v1...ormat=MM/DD/YY

I've been using it since the beginning. My user ID is 37.

Comment

I used to, but I have no idea where it's at now. I ran a 5k in a little under 21 minutes in 2007, and when I got to the 5k point, the Nike+ said I still had over a quarter of a mile left or something like that. So I got annoyed and stopped using it. I was using the wristband version last year, but it conked out after just a couple of months. I'll see if I can find my old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                    I put in a 20-miler the Saturday before last and a half marathon race last Saturday. My schedule won't allow for a long run this week, so I'll probably just get in a 15-miler on Saturday and then 20-milers the next two weekends. During the week, I'm doing 7 on MWF with a running parter who is faster than I am and 10ish on T-TH. It's not very scientific, but hopefully it will get me where I need to be before the marathon in June.
                    Holy crap, that's a lot of miles.
                    I knew you were wicked fast.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Me, steelbue, bigpiney. I don't check it as regularly as I used to, but I still use it on most runs and upload after each run. I'm in a couple of BYU/ Utah challenges, but have been reluctant to post the links because everytime I do we (cougs) get our butts kicked.

I've used the sportband for about a year now. I don't really like to listen to music when I run, so this works as well as carrying around the ipod. The main drawbacks are that it has an unlit display, making it hard to use at night, and the display seems fairly fragile, as I think I must have bumped it on something and lost the upper left corner of the numbers.

I still love using it though.

Comment

I use it, same username as here.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                          I used to, but I have no idea where it's at now. I ran a 5k in a little under 21 minutes in 2007, and when I got to the 5k point, the Nike+ said I still had over a quarter of a mile left or something like that. So I got annoyed and stopped using it. I was using the wristband version last year, but it conked out after just a couple of months. I'll see if I can find my old one.
                          Yeah, I have to go calibrate mine at a track. It's relatively close but I think it shorts my miles a bit.

Comment

Sounds like we have a bunch of people on it. Now taking suggestions for challenges....

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              Holy crap, that's a lot of miles.
                              I knew you were wicked fast.
                              Let's not confuse far with fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X