The Official Jimmerphilia Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Jimmerphilia Thread

I thought it would be wise to start the 47th Jimmer related thread in the arena, so everyone, especially UteStar, can express their love of all things Jimmer. Blatant Jimmerphobes like SU are not welcome.

From ESPN:
    Originally posted by Eamonn Brennan
    No. 10 BYU 104, Utah 79: I think we can all agree on one thing: At this point, you don't need me to tell you how good Jimmer Fredette is. All you need to do is see the highlights of Fredette's 47-point night. Or check the ridiculous box score: 16-of-28 from the field, 6-of-9 from 3, 9-of-9 from the free throw line, six assists, four rebounds, two steals. Or watch "The Mtn."

OK, so that last one's a little bit sarcastic. Because here's the thing: You probably have a pretty good idea. But if you're like most college basketball fans, you also probably haven't actually seen Jimmer play.

Last night, after we get home from a little basketball of our own, I practically forced my roommate Paul to watch the Fredette highlights. He had a vague idea of how great Fredette was, but he didn't know what he looked like, let alone what his game comprised. He hadn't seen the way Fredette makes impossible shots look routine, the way he hangs in the air on his jumper for that extra half-second, the way nothing he does looks possible until he does it so often you have to submit to the sheer frequency of his excellence.

After watching Fredette play, Paul asked why teams don't run a second defender at Fredette the minute he gets across half court. I told him it was because "Jimmer can pass, too, and BYU is a team of shooters." This launched him into an hour-long Jimmer Fredette research project. He wanted to know who BYU had beaten this season. He wanted to know how athletic their competition was. He wanted to see games when Jimmer had struggled, games when he'd excelled, and wanted to figure out the difference in opposing defensive styles in each. ("You absolutely cannot let this guy beat you! He just singlehandedly won them that game!") He wanted to see Jimmer play against big, strong, rangy defensive guards. (I told him to check the UNLV game.) He wanted to see BYU play San Diego State, and he wanted to see them go deep in the tournament against athletic competition. He is, for lack of a better word, locked in on the Jimmer.

Intentionally or not, Paul hit on the key storyline of BYU's season going forward: How deep can this team go in the NCAA tournament? As John Gasaway wrote for Insider Wednesday, Jimmer-led BYU teams have looked great by every possible measure -- from tempo-free stats to old standbys like the eye test -- in each of the past two seasons, and in each of the past two seasons haven't survived the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

There's no reason why this BYU team can't break that mold this year. Not only is this a well-rounded scoring bunch, but it's a good defensive team, too. And, above all, the Cougars have the one thing so many teams in college basketball crave, the one thing so many sell their ethical souls in an attempt to find: a bonafide star.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/_/post...ic-night-hoops

The Legend of BYU's Jimmer Fredette grows. Fredette scored 47 (!) points in the No. 10 Cougars' 104-79 win over Utah, and is now the leading scorer in the nation (overtaking Connecticut's Kemba Walker). Fredette also became just the fourth player in BYU history to score 2000 points, joining Danny Ainge, Michael Smith and Devin Durrant.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

1. Jimmer Fredette snatched the national scoring lead away from Kemba Walker, as he poured in 47 points in BYU's 104-79 rout of Utah. It was the second-most points in a game this season, and ironically, the most by a starter. Fredette bypassed 2,000 points for his career, just the fourth player in school history to do so. Not bad for a guy who averaged 7.0 ppg as a freshman. Fredette scored 32 of his 47 in the first half, capped off by a halfcourt buzzer-beater. Looking at it another way, he had more points in the first half than any other Mountain West player has scored in a game this season.

2. All five BYU starters were in double figures, as the unit combined to score 102 points against the Utes. It's the second-most points by a starting lineup this season, behind a St. Bonaventure group that scored 106 back in December. However, the Bonnies needed four overtimes to get there. The last starting lineup to score this much in a regulation game was Kentucky's last season against Sam Houston State. In fact, this is the first time a Mountain West starting lineup has scored 100 points in the last 15 seasons.
      [ame="http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post?id=21034"]The numbers you need to know - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN[/ame]
      *Banned*

Comment

Has anyone been able to find a jimmer jersey? I know they sold them last year but I haven't found one.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]oNTiQzE2tyI[/YOUTUBE]
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Matt Jones of CBSsportsline:

Well now, after forgoing my usual routine of late-night Seinfeld reruns for a number of BYU games from the West Coast, it is official. I am all-in for Jimmer. Watching a game involving Fredette is an exhilarating experience. As he comes down the floor, it is clear that literally anything can happen. His tremendous handle allows him to take quicker players off the bounce, while also being able to stop on a dime and rise for a three that seems to come out of nowhere. His game oozes with a confidence that some would mistake as arrogance, but I would classify as a “white boy swagger” that recalls former Kentucky guard Patrick Sparks (before he got fat). He knows he is better than you and he also knows that because of the way he looks, you don’t really believe it. So he is determined to not only show you he is better, but do it in the most dramatic way possible.
            http://college-basketball-blog.blogs...83066/26896659
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

He wanted to see BYU play San Diego State
              [YOUTUBE]TLdXUGhYN60[/YOUTUBE]
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                [YOUTUBE]TLdXUGhYN60[/YOUTUBE]
                There is no excuse to let Jimmer Fredette to come in here and score 28 points. That's impossible. They kept running the same play over and over again. They were splitting our heads, he was getting to the basket and easy things were happening."
                That was in 2009. In 2010:

Jimmer Fredette scored 33 points at San Diego State and Charles Abouo had a block on a pivotal possession late in the game as BYU defeated the Aztecs 71-69 on Saturday. The win is the 15th-consecutive for the Cougars, the second-longest streak in program history.
                *Banned*

Comment

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs...83066/27008053

Posted by MATT JONES

Jimmer had 47 tonight, eclipsed the 2,000-point mark for his career and, chances are, virtually none of you saw it. I have already expressed my Rick Majerus-sized man-crush on Jimmer Fredette on this blog before, but I am not sure that people are truly getting the message.

Because the Mountain West has a conference television contract that seemingly only puts its games on CBS College Sports, the Mountain Friends and Family Network and C-Span 3, finding a BYU game on television is only slightly easier than finding an admitted Rafael Palmeiro Hall of Fame voter. The league’s games are not on regular college basketball channels and thus viewers simply forget they exist.

But you as a college basketball fan must go the extra mile to watch Jimmer play . Take tonight’s effort, in which Fredette scored 47 points on the road at rival Utah, and put up a dazzling array of moves that had some excitable folks on Twitter recalling the days of a guy named Maravich. Jimmer scores so many different ways and so easily, that at times you lose track of what you are watching. He can beat you with the three, take you off the dribble, catch and release quickly or simply drop an assist that leaves you shaking your heard. On Tuesday, he scored in bunches, including a 32 point barrage in the first half that may end up being the single most impressive individual half of basketball we will see this year.

Unfortunately, I know you didn’t see it. And that hurts me. Because I want you to get the same joy out of Jimmer that I do and chances are that unless you live in Utah or have no spouse/kids/girlfriend prospect/library card, you haven’t made the time to do it yet . So please take this as a warning. Watch a Jimmer game ASAP. The amount of times you will get to see him get you out of your seat in college are quickly diminishing. By March, everyone will know Jimmer and discovering him will be cliché. Get out in front of the masses, upgrade your cable package and buy whatever version of the Home Shopping channel is showing his next game. I want us to share in this glory together and it is now your move.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Ute fans downplaying Jimmer. Chad Ford telling them they are wrong.

Crimson (SLC)

Jimmer from BYU may be an okay college player, but I don't think his game translates well to the NBA. Your thoughts?
                    Chad Ford
                    (1:51 PM)

OK for a college player????? To me he's one of the two best college players in the country along with Kemba Walker right now. He's a scoring machine and just super fun to watch. I see a lot of BYU games and the kid is for real. However, when you start projecting him into the NBA ... it's a bit tougher. Most NBA scouts see him as a late first to second round pick. Lack of lateral quickness is a big part of it. Most of them also see him more as a two than a one in the NBA ... so he's also a bit undersized. I've heard tons of comparisons to guys like J.J. Redick ... to Eddie House ... to Mark Price to Steve Nash ... but I haven't spoken to one scout or NBA exec who has him in the Top 20. They may be wrong. No one had Landry Fields in the Top 20. I sort of think they might be wrong. The more I watch him, the more I think he has the toughness, basketball IQ and shooting ability to find a place in the NBA. If I was drafting I'd consider him with a Top 20 pick, but my NBA friends don't agree ... yet.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Given the opportunity, BYU’s star All-American guard Jimmer Fredette will shoot your face off. The Cougars’ arch rivals, Utah, let Fredette give them the business last night on their home floor, watching him light them up for 47 points (16-28 from the field, 6-9 from three) under an avalanche of deep threes, pull-up jumpers and improbable scoop shots in the lane. To quote one of the Dime Crew about Jimmer’s performance, “Dude was a monsterface.”
                      http://dimemag.com/2011/01/jimmer-fr...your-face-off/
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

From Rebel-net:

I wonder if they are loving on any of our players over on the BYU board?

http://unlv.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...id=915&style=2
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Crimson (SLC)

Jimmer from BYU may be an okay college player, but I don't think his game translates well to the NBA. Your thoughts?

Chad Ford (1:51 PM)

OK for a college player????? To me he's one of the two best college players in the country along with Kemba Walker right now. He's a scoring machine and just super fun to watch. I see a lot of BYU games and the kid is for real. However, when you start projecting him into the NBA ... it's a bit tougher. Most NBA scouts see him as a late first to second round pick. Lack of lateral quickness is a big part of it. Most of them also see him more as a two than a one in the NBA ... so he's also a bit undersized. I've heard tons of comparisons to guys like J.J. Redick ... to Eddie House ... to Mark Price to Steve Nash ... but I haven't spoken to one scout or NBA exec who has him in the Top 20. They may be wrong. No one had Landry Fields in the Top 20. I sort of think they might be wrong. The more I watch him, the more I think he has the toughness, basketball IQ and shooting ability to find a place in the NBA. If I was drafting I'd consider him with a Top 20 pick, but my NBA friends don't agree ... yet.
                          Will be interesting to see where he lands in the draft.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

From the SDSU- How to stop Jimmer thread. I don't care what you say, pot makes people funnier.
                            Have a cheerleader with mono cover him 7 days before the game.
                            Leave a bike outside his room with a note on it telling him his mission jsut started.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              This thread deserves some love.

Yeah I notice that... Do they insert a rim tracking device into the ball for him before games???
                              The kid is insane. That half court shot at the buzzer wasn't even luck, he knew it was down.
                              He's doing for BYU what Curry did for Davidson. He's that good. People can hate on him, but he's an unbelievable offensive talent.
                              Jimmer sucks, just ask Tre
                              Awesome response:

LOL Tre is the definition of a hater. He hates the fact that Jimmer is the best player in the conference and a first round pick while nobody even knows who Tre is. He can hate him while he's watching NBA TV from Japan next year.
                              I can't lie, I hate BYU as much as anyone on this planet but this guy can ball. Definitely the best college player to have played in the MWC no contest. His offensive game is simply unreal.
                              How is he overrated. He makes shots. Constantly. And, that's why he will catch on in the NBA. The little f**ker can shoot, and the pro's don't play defense on a nightly basis. Just look at that Kings/Wizards defensive gem last night
                              http://unlv.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...id=915&style=2

Good stuff.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X