The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pulled Pork Thread

I was looking for some posts on pulled pork earlier today and it occurred to me that we need to create an official pulled pork thread so things aren't scattered all over the place. It seems that we are moving that way with other cooking-related threads, so why not? In fact, I know a few people who lurk on this site for cooking tips, so organization can't hurt.

Pulled pork is nice because you can feed a big crowd and it is tough (but certainly not impossible) to screw it up. We hosted a lunch here today so I went to Costco and picked up a pack of two pork shoulder roasts. Nice and cheap (13 lbs for $24) and they were well-trimmed and looked like excellent pieces of meat. I took them home and cut them open to apply rub and noticed that one end of each roast was cut up (I wish I had taken pictures). My wife and I decided that they must have cut a bone out of each and then folded the pieces back together so that each roast had a rectangular shape. I thought about tying each up with some butcher twine but they seemed to hold together OK so I just left them.

I added a liberal amount of rub on Saturday, wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap, put them in a garbage sack, and stashed them in the fridge. I pulled them out on Sunday night and put them on the Traeger with a mixture of apple and hickory pellets at 11:30 pm. Since it is wintertime and the temps are cold, I can't count on much (if any) cooking on my smoke setting, which is normally ~180 deg but is lower than that this time of year. So I set the temp gage at 225 deg and went to bed. I checked them at 7:30 and the temps ranged from 185-195 depending where I stuck the thermapen so I pulled them out and put them in a big roasting pan with a cup or two of water in the bottom and put them in the oven in a holding pattern at 170 deg (simple yet effective version of foil-towel-cooler). I pulled them at ~2 pm just in time for our lunch crowd.

Both roasts were awesome. One was slightly drier than the other for some odd reason, but both were tender and moist. After pulling I poured some of the drippings over the pork. The crowd was delighted. We fed 25 people and had a little bit left over.

One of the roasts just prior to pulling:

Part of roast #1:

With slaw and rolls from Shirley's bakery:
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Looks great, JL. I love pulled pork. One of my favorite things to make and then use leftovers for Mexican food.

Did you inject? Mop? Homemade rub?
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Looks great, JL. I love pulled pork. One of my favorite things to make and then use leftovers for Mexican food.

Did you inject? Mop? Homemade rub?
      Yes on homemade rub, no on the other two. If you have some tricks you like to use, please share.

Always looking for leftover ideas. Pulled pork tacos sound great. Do you do anything else (Mexican food-wise)?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yes on homemade rub, no on the other two. If you have some tricks you like to use, please share.

Always looking for leftover ideas. Pulled pork tacos sound great. Do you do anything else (Mexican food-wise)?
        I inject and I mop once an hour the last 3 or 4 hours. I love pulled pork chili verde enchiladas. Also quesadillas are always better pulled pork.

I will post my recipes for both the injection and mop tomorrow if you are interested.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I inject and I mop once an hour the last 3 or 4 hours. I love pulled pork chili verde enchiladas. Also quesadillas are always better pulled pork.

I will post my recipes for both the injection and mop tomorrow if you are interested.
          Very interested. I have a roast that I am fighting my wife for...she wants to do kalua pig and I want to do pulled pork.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
            Very interested. I have a roast that I am fighting my wife for...she wants to do kalua pig and I want to do pulled pork.
            I hope you lose. Either way, win-win!
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

<Discussion on pulled pork>
              Wilson, North Carolina

If there is a BYU-ECU series, you too can experience barbecue.

(<--Linked)

</Discussion on pulled pork>
              Last edited by Parrot Head; 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM.
              I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

One of my favorite things to make and then use leftovers for Mexican food.
                We had some great pulled pork tacos tonight.

Definitely interested.

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                <Discussion on pulled pork>
                Wilson, North Carolina

If there is a BYU-ECU series, you too can experience barbecue

</Discussion on pulled pork>
                Nice! I have never tried authentic NC BBQ. I would love to do so someday.

Comment

In the spirit of DIY, here's a slow cooker recipe I tried a while back but it has some kick to it, so you may want to drop the red pepper if that's not suitable for the family.

1 cup cider vinegar;
                  3 tablespoons Turbino sugar;
                  1 1/2 tablespoons hot red-pepper flakes;
                  1 (3 lb.) lean boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of visible fat;
                  1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup);
                  8 cloves garlic, peeled, split in half;
                  1/2 cup water;
                  2 tablespoons Dijon mustard;
                  2 tablespoons honey;
                  1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce;
                  Salt and pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, red pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper, stirring until sugar dissolves. Score the pork skin in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife, forming 1-inch diamond shapes, cutting through the skin, but no more than one-quarter inch deep. Pat meat dry, then rub all over with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for one hour.

Scatter chopped onion and garlic halves over the bottom of a slow cooker, place the pork on top, add water and prepared vinegar sauce, cover and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours. Remove meat and cool. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and, with two forks, pull it into thin shreds (remove all fat and gristle). Remove garlic cloves with a slotted spoon and mash into a paste.
                  Return the pork and garlic to the slow cooker and stir in the mustard, honey
                  and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another hour on low.

Comment

What are those breaded/fried things? They look like......well.......let's just say that I'm not going to eat those.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      What are those breaded/fried things? They look like......well.......let's just say that I'm not going to eat those.
                      They're hushpuppies! Fried, greasy pieces of heaven.

Comment

They're hushpuppies! Fried, greasy pieces of heaven.
                        I've had hushpuppies. They are usually round. I don't recall eating any penis shaped hushpuppies. You may want to verify.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I miss NC BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            With slaw and rolls from Shirley's bakery:
                            That cole slaw looks perfect.

Comment

I think this photo might be my favorite thing ever posted on CUF.

Thank you. Now I need to figure out how to make one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X