BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU hoops for 2012-2013

When thinking ahead to next year I will start with the ol roster and who I think will be the 13 scholarships:

1.) Matt Carlino - SO 1
    2.) Craig Cusick - SR 1
    3.) Anson Winder - SO 2/Emergency 1
    4.) Raul Delgado - JR 2
    5.) The Brockness Monster - SR 2/3
    6.) Tyler Haws - SO 3
    7.) Stephen Rogers - SR 3
    8.) Chris Collinsworth - JR 4/5
    9.) Josh Sharp - SO 4
    10.) Nate Austin - SO 5/4
    11.) Brandon Davies - SR 5
    12.) Ian Harward - FR 5
    13.) ? Hopefully a JC 4 given CC's issues.

I thinking recruiting is not done and BYU will sign a JC 4 for next year. I think Collinsworth will give it another try and BYU will honor his scholarship, but if there are any more injury issues my guess is he moves to that injury scholarship deal. I think Demarcus Harrison will go on a mission and I think Nick Martineau will quit. BYU will go for a JC 4.

My hope for a starting lineup is:

1.) Carlino
    2.) Delgado or Winder
    3.) Haws
    4.) JC or Chris Collinsworth
    5.) Davies

Of the bench those who will play significant minutes will be:

1.) Cusick
    2.) Delgado or Winder and Zylstra
    3.) Rogers
    4/5) Austin and JC transfer or Chris Collinsworth

The keys to BYU's improvement for next year are thus:

1.) Improved perimeter shooting. I think that if Rogers is healthy he will be good next year in a role of coming off the bench to shoot the 3 and some instant perimeter offense. His injury was a big reason we sucked from the outside this year. Haws is a better shooter than Chuck so I expect that to be help as well. Under any circumstance I think BYU is much better from the perimeter next year. Saying that, Carlino needs to get better from the perimeter. His decision making of when to pull the trigger needs to be tempered next year as well. I think this year, with the absence of Rogers, there was little that Rose could other than to hope MattyC would get hot at times. I think with a healthy Rogers and the return of Haws the improved perimeter game should lift some of that burden off of Carlino and he will hopefully demonstrate that recognition of an improved perimeter game with better decision making. I hope that improves his confidence and allows his ability to penetrate and dish facilitate BYU's new reputation as PGU. I also think Matty was pretty nicked up much of this year and another year of physical maturity will help him significantly with the wear and tear of the longer college season.

2.) Nate Austin needs to put on 15 lbs of muscle and develop into a decent post scorer. I still think BYU is an inside-outside team for next year and having two capable post scorers is important. The increased muscle should help Nate stay out of foul trouble. I like Nate and if he doesn't develop this for next year I am convinced it won't be because the kid didn't try.

3.) BYU needs signifcantly better play at the 2. It is my hope that a more experienced Winder can develop enoug of a reliable jumper to be much better. I like Brock, but he should be nothing more than a reliable, experienced role player. He can give BYU a boost when they are playing like shit against a poor opponent, but against good teams BYU is going to need either Winder or Delgado to play the role of good perimeter defender capable of hitting the open jumper. If they can penetrate or create on their own, that is gravy. But with Carlino's ability to penetrate BYU should be fine with a lock down defender at the 2 who can hit the open jumper enough to keep defenses honest.

4.) BYU needs a plan at the 4 that doesn't call for Nate Austin as the primary 4. I can see Nate being OK there for 10-12 mpg but I think his real future is at the 5 for BYU. I think if Chris can get healthy he would be a big boon but he hasn't played consistently for 4 years. If CC can get healthy and give BYU 25 good minutes rebounding, playing defense and scoring occassionally, that would be huge. If not him it needs to be a JC transfer. Josh Sharp is another kid that is a great reserve for BYU. He loves BYU, will play hard defense, take charges and try super-duper hard at practice, but I don't see him being anything more than a role player for another year.

5.) Better luck with health.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Is there any more word re: Harrison and a mission?

Also, what does Rose do if Martineau doesn't quit? Does he still cut him?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

BYU will be in Coaches vs Cancer tournament next fall. Florida State, Notre Dame and St. Joseph's. Mormons, Catholics and Pagans, oh my!

http://www.barclayscenter.com/brookl...hes-vs-cancer/
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Is there any more word re: Harrison and a mission?

Also, what does Rose do if Martineau doesn't quit? Does he still cut him?
        I'm 90% sure I read that Harrison has decided on a mission.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          BYU will be in Coaches vs Cancer tournament next fall. Florida State, Notre Dame and St. Joseph's. Mormons, Catholics and Pagans, oh my!

http://www.barclayscenter.com/brookl...hes-vs-cancer/
          Nice. Here's hoping Carlino's improved handles and shot selection is the catalyst to a very nice season. No better way to get it started than against good competition in a preseason tournament. I hope Hawes also comes back in playing shape.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            Nice. Here's hoping Carlino's improved handles and shot selection is the catalyst to a very nice season. No better way to get it started than against good competition in a preseason tournament. I hope Hawes also comes back in playing shape.
            Agree Carlino is the key. He's so up and down this year. Understandable, considering he's a freshman. But we need him to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Agree Carlino is the key. He's so up and down this year. Understandable, considering he's a freshman. But we need him to come through.
              I think if we had some consistent production out of the 2 spot, Carlino would have been more reliable. I think he just tried to do too much, partly because he's a confident player and partly because I think he tried to take on too much of the offensive load to offset the lack of help in the backcourt.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I think Dave Rose is an excellent basketball coach. There is no one else I'd rather have at BYU. I like his attitude. I like that he's a good guy. I like that he has perspective. What's not to like?

But as I watched last year and even more so this year - the thought kept occurring to me that while Dave Rose is an excellent basketball coach, BYU is not necessarily a well coached team.

And what I mean by this is BYU tends to lack discipline on the court. Dave must know that the strength of the team this year is inside play - and yet even against much smaller teams where this was an obvious advantage it was not uncommon for BYU to have their first 2-3 shots all be 3 pointers - often before even getting a post touch.

I like his uptempo style. I like that he isn't so regimented that the players are afraid to shoot it. But it reminds me of the one time I coached a deacon's team of players who only play once a year during church ball - before the game and during time-out I'd tell them exactly what to do, they'd all nod their heads, and then run out on the floor and act as if nothing had been said.

So help me out here - what am I missing? Is there some diabolical plan in play to launch a bunch of 3's at the start of a game to lure defensive help further away from the paint? Is something else going on? I get that if the players don't listen, someone still has to be on the floor - but I would think that by the end of the year some of it would've sunk in.

And I guess this relates to the 12-13 season in that I'd like BYU to show just a little bit of discipline. I mean, they can have a somewhat contested 3 pt shot at nearly any time in the shot clock - why the rush to heave one up within the first few seconds?

Comment

I think next year will be a lot like this year.

1 -- Carlino next year with Cusick back up a lot better than Carlino this year with Cusick back up. This is a key area. I hope Carlino makes a big step forward.

2. Delgado, Winder, Zylstra next year slightly better than Zylstra, Winder this year. I'm very curious to see how good Delgado is. He's very athletic and has a good three point shooting % in JC.

3. Haws, Rogers, Zylstra about a push with Charles, Zylstra this year. I've been down on Charles lately, but he's a good player, and he was on par with Haws the last half of the season Haws frosh year. Haws is going to struggle getting back in shape and have issues defensively, though he'll help open the floor with his shooting.

Bigs. Davies, Austin, Collinsworth (?), Harward, Sharp, Rogers slightly worse than Davies, Hartsock, Austin. I expect Davies and Austin to improve but not enough to make up for the loss of Hartsock, and I expect we will have no depth whatsoever behind those two guys. I see Davies playing the 4 on D and the 5 on O, with Austin working on his outside shot and playing the Hartsock role on O pretty well.

Comment

It's official. Damarcus announced today that he is going on a mission and plans to leave this summer. He'll be back for 2014.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      It's official. Damarcus announced today that he is going on a mission and plans to leave this summer. He'll be back for 2014.
                      Good for Demarcus. He made the right choice.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I think the maturity will help him on the court.

Comment

Good for him. Also means he will probably be back at BYU.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I see next year as a bigger rebuilding year than this year was. I think our 1/2/3's will be slightly better than this year given the addition of Delgado and one more year of maturity for Carlino/Winder/Z. If Haws comes back from his mission anywhere close to where he was before he left, it will be substantially better than this year.

I'm more concerned about our front line. Davies will obviously be the primary offensive focus of the team. I don't trust CC or Rogers (although he's more of a 3) to be healthy. Austin is not much of an offensive threat. I agree that the best bet would be to find a quality JC guy to play the 4. Sharp seems like a hustle guy with limited skills, and Harward is a complete unknown to me.

Losing Hartsock is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                              I see next year as a bigger rebuilding year than this year was. I think our 1/2/3's will be slightly better than this year given the addition of Delgado and one more year of maturity for Carlino/Winder/Z. If Haws comes back from his mission anywhere close to where he was before he left, it will be substantially better than this year.

I'm more concerned about our front line. Davies will obviously be the primary offensive focus of the team. I don't trust CC or Rogers (although he's more of a 3) to be healthy. Austin is not much of an offensive threat. I agree that the best bet would be to find a quality JC guy to play the 4. Sharp seems like a hustle guy with limited skills, and Harward is a complete unknown to me.

Losing Hartsock is huge.
                              I think BYU will be better next year than this. Not a good team yet but better than this year. It is my entirely uneducated opinion that Carlino's improved and more consistent play will be the key. If he is more under control and a better decision maker, I think it will make every one much better. I see BYU next year as similar to the way they were in years 2-4 of Rose era, a team that hovers around the top 25 during conference play and then gets an 8 or 9 seed in the dance and will either win or lose a close first round game.

But if Matty follows the Tavernari model of not improving his decision making then BYU will not be better, IMO. Time will tell but I think a healthy Rogers and the return of Haws will lift the perimeter burden off of young MattyC and that will lead to more control, better decision making and better play.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X